Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2021, 09:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #23882
What should generator run?

I知 new to the dry camping and new to me RV owner. I have a Thor Quantum 29RQ and I知 running the generator but none of the outlets are working, the lights are working and water pump but I知 wondering are those running off the battery? I知 not sure exactly what it should run I知 assuming it should run everything. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:34 PM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Yep, should run everything.
Sounds like the generator breaker is off on the generator or your auto transfer switch is no good.

Does everything work on shore power?
Old 09-03-2021, 09:44 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You might have also tripped the GFCI outlet cutting off the outlets. There is usually one in the bathroom outlet. It may have tripped. You just need to push the reset button on the outlet. Some coaches have two GFCI outlets. I would first check the bathroom outlet. There is sometimes another one located outside if you have an exterior tv or exterior outlet.
Your water pump and interior lights are running off of the batteries. Your outlets run off of household current(120v).

Paul
Old 09-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
As mentioned above - it should run everything in your MH. Is your Air Conditioning working? How about the microwave? If not you have an AC supply problem from the generator if they all work on SP. Again, as previously mentioned, check generator output breaker and Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) connections.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
You might have also tripped the GFCI outlet cutting off the outlets. There is usually one in the bathroom outlet. It may have tripped. You just need to push the reset button on the outlet. Some coaches have two GFCI outlets. I would first check the bathroom outlet. There is sometimes another one located outside if you have an exterior tv or exterior outlet.

Paul
Good advice but it only applies IF the outlets are the only thing without power.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The generator's CB is located on the right, lower frame about half-way back toward the center of the coach. Picture is in the operators manual.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:24 PM   #7

THOR #23882
Yes everything works on shore power
Old 09-03-2021, 11:28 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
The OP stated that the outlets were not working but the lights and water pump were working. He never mentioned if any of the appliances were also not working so that is why I went towards the GFCI that controls the outlets.

Paul
Old 09-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
There should be a breaker on the generator itself that is often tripped during inspection or servicing. First thing that should be checked.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:11 PM   #10

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
the water pump and lights work off of DC.

Start the generator and listen. In about 15-20 secs, you will hear the transfer switch under the bed click. This is the sound of the generator now powering your CB panel. You should also hear your Micro wave oven click on and make a little beeping sound.

The generator has priority over the shore pwr. so it will overide the shore pwr if connected.

All AC pwr should be on to your outlets, water heater, micro wave and DC converter.

My technique is to always turn the main AC pwr CB off while transitioning pwr. This way you dont load up the entire circuit at once.

So start generator, make sure the CB at the generator panel is closed. then go inside and turn on your master breaker near your bed. You will hear the Microwave come on.

I also purchased some cheap LED night lights. Plug one in next to your bed. When you flip the main breaker, you will see that light go on and the micro wave.

Then manually turn on high load items like the AC units, water heater etc.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:20 AM   #11

THOR #23882
Issue resolved

I want to thank everyone for their input on this thread. After looking at all the suggestions and checking things it ended up being the breaker on the generator was in off position I flipped to on and it works great and runs everything. Thank you again and thank goodness for this forum!!!
Old 09-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchy View Post
I want to thank everyone for their input on this thread. After looking at all the suggestions and checking things it ended up being the breaker on the generator was in off position I flipped to on and it works great and runs everything. Thank you again and thank goodness for this forum!!!
Yes, at it's best (besides the occasional few that may distract) this forum is in a class by itself when you need help. Thank you for coming back with the remedy. Can't tell you how many times I read a problem, read the experts suggestions, and then crickets
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #13

THOR #22342
i agree,,, and your welcome. Many of us are engineering types and have spent multiple hrs reviewing the THOR schematics. There is a abundance of info on your owners page, under the schematics section.....
Old 09-05-2021, 07:10 PM   #14

THOR #23882
“Owners page”? Where do I find that?
Old 09-05-2021, 09:43 PM   #15

THOR #22342
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/
Old 09-08-2021, 04:27 AM   #16

State: Arizona
THOR #22044
Litchy....we are new to RVing also and this forum has been fantastic....I have gotten such good advice on here and do indeed believe, when someone on here told me, after introducing myself, "you didn't buy an RV you bought a hobby". LOL!
Old 09-08-2021, 11:57 AM   #17

THOR #22342
you sure did. I tell my wife. This is alot cheaper than therapy and a divorce. So, let me spend a few hundred a month to work on the RV....