Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
CLG

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #16056
Wheel alignment

I bought a 2014 ACE with 13,500 miles on the odometer. I am doing the CHF today. A lot of people talk about doing wheel alignment on their rv’s. With the is low mileage I had not even thought of an alignment. How often is an alignment required? I didn’t see anything in my rv paperwork.
I am planning to add steering assistance after seeing how well the CHF works.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:05 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #16016
I would like to know what kind of equipment can play good role for wheel alignment? i try multiple time but didn't get exact solution yet. that's why asking you all.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The last chassis wheel alignment is done my MorRyde when they modify the Ford (Detroit Chassis) to Thor Motorcoach specifications. After Thor MC adds the house, the alignment is not even checked. Most coaches come through the build with the alignment close to Ford's recommendations but a few get knocked around enough to warrant an alignment. Fords alignment specks are for a local medium size delivery truck and not for an Interstate driven heavily loaded RV. Thus, Thor's recommendation for an owner have the coach realigned at the coaches traveling weight.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLG View Post
I bought a 2014 ACE with 13,500 miles on the odometer. I am doing the CHF today. A lot of people talk about doing wheel alignment on their rv’s. With the is low mileage I had not even thought of an alignment. How often is an alignment required? I didn’t see anything in my rv paperwork.
I am planning to add steering assistance after seeing how well the CHF works.
Actually, the recommendation to perform an alignment is in the Care and Maintenance Section the owner's manual from Thor. They recommend after the vehicle is loaded as desired by the owner and then once a year. That is located on page 121 of the 2015 Owner's manual.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
A good rule of thumb for alignment is once a year and everytime you change or rotate tires. Of course, a $130.00 bill (New Bern NC) can make you have second doubts.

One thing you can do to give you peace of mind is about once a month turn your front wheels where you can visually inspect the inside tread both front tires. Also reach over the tire and feel the inside of the tire for an signs of the belts "going bad".
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Morgan View Post
I would like to know what kind of equipment can play good role for wheel alignment? i try multiple time but didn't get exact solution yet. that's why asking you all.
A medium duty truck alignment place usually has a pit. A laser pointer is attached to the frame near the center. First, the front axle location is checked to make sure it is perpendicular to the frame rails. A wheel gig with a set of mirrors is attached to the outer wheel rim. A hand held RF monitor reads the alignment specks so the person in the pit can adjust the alignment. The F-53 chassis has a solid front axle with Kingpins, so the caster is adjusted with spring wedges, camber is done with heat and the toe is done with an adjustable center link. As for the rear axle, it is checked for thrust alignment. The rear axle is moved if necessary. The equipment is expensive and a complete alignment takes a hour or more. Expect to pay $200 to $500 depending on how much work is required. Once in a lifetime is usually sufficient. Most Goodyear Commercial Tire Centers include an alignment check with the purchase of 6 or more tires. Ford Commercial dealers have alignment facilities.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #7
CLG

Model: ACE 27.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #16056
OK got it. :Thanx

Tags
alignment, chf, steering assist