Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2020, 02:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Virginia
THOR #19723
Where did you install your Inverter?

I bought an 1100 Watt Inverter, not one that I can tie in to power the entire system but a stand alone unit. If you installed a similar type of inverter where did you put it? For reference I have a Class C The biggest reason I bought it is to make a pot of coffee and possibly run the Laptop or TV/DVD while traveling without using the generator. My Kitchen is on a slide and the house battery is opposite it under the steps. I can't figure out where it would be easy to access, easy to wire and still be out of the way.

Thanks for your thoughts and any helpful pics!

Larry

Old 10-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I can't help you with a specific location, but I can give you some criteria.

An 1,100 watt inverter will draw as much as 100 amps DC. That is much more than your DC fuse panel can handle, so you need to wire it directly to the batteries with a 100A fuse or breaker near the battery. You also need to minimize the distance to the batteries. A location 10' away will require #4 wire to keep the voltage drop down to about 1/2 volt.

David
Old 10-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #3

THOR #19723
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I can't help you with a specific location, but I can give you some criteria.

An 1,100 watt inverter will draw as much as 100 amps DC. That is much more than your DC fuse panel can handle, so you need to wire it directly to the batteries with a 100A fuse or breaker near the battery. You also need to minimize the distance to the batteries. A location 10' away will require #4 wire to keep the voltage drop down to about 1/2 volt.

David
David, Thanks it came with about 3 foot sections of #4 wire, fortunately most logical spots are really close to the battery. The Red wire came with a an ANL fuse already installed, I will need to check the amperage rating on that. For my education I assume when you say it can draw 100amps how is that determined? I'm trying to understand what situation would make that occur?
Thanks for the advice!
Larry
Old 10-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I can't help with your floor plan...not familiar
I've been thinking about this though in mine for a long time.
I've settled on two options that I think pretty much make sense for probably every rig.
assuming it's a hardwire inverter where you'd plug your coffee pot into an outlet and not directly into the inverter itself....

1) install the inverter near the battery and run a dedicated outlet to your desired coffee pot location
2) tap into the battery leads at the house battery disconnect relay (the thing that goes 'clunk' when you press the use/store switch to turn off the house). In my rig at least and likely in most, this is very near the converter box, where you could relocate the circuit with the coffee outlet from it's existing breaker to the inverter.

I've planned to do this for years but have always just found a way to make it work when I don't have shore power....so the project keeps slipping down the priority list. Ended up getting a french press to use for that purpose, and use my keurig for when I have shore power or don't mind running the genny.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:43 PM   #5

THOR #20289
Larry:

Ok a 1100 watt inverter will supply 110V at up to 10 amps AC (watts/volts equals amps). Let's ignore efficiency for now so watts output in AC is the same as watts input as DC. Divide 1100 by 12 V and you get 92 amps DC input to the inverter. Efficiency losses will raise that to about 100 amps DC.

So if you can mount the inverter within 4' of the batteries with #4 wire, you will be great.

Wiring the AC side may be the bigger challenge. Does your inverter have an internal AC transfer switch?

David
Old 10-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #6

THOR #19723
David, I have the type of inverter that has outlets and USB on the inverter not one that I can tie into the system. I assume if I use it with the engine running I don't necessarily need to worry about depleting the house battery. But that I can also use while boondocking with the Engine and Generator off at least up to the capacity of the House battery. Since I have to plug into the Inverter I am trying ot figure out the logical place to mount it..
Old 10-20-2020, 02:59 PM   #7

THOR #20289
OK, I understand. You have an inverter with outlets on it that you plan to plug stuff into.

So you have two objectives in locating it: minimize DC voltage drop and wire size as well as put it in a convenient location where you can get to it to plug in. Since wire is relatively cheap, put it where you think will work best and if it takes bigger gauge wire to keep the voltage drop reasonable, then so be it.

David
Old 10-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #8

State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVHopeful View Post
David, I have the type of inverter that has outlets and USB on the inverter not one that I can tie into the system. I assume if I use it with the engine running I don't necessarily need to worry about depleting the house battery. But that I can also use while boondocking with the Engine and Generator off at least up to the capacity of the House battery. Since I have to plug into the Inverter I am trying ot figure out the logical place to mount it..
On a 30FE, the only location I can think of anywhere close to within 4ft of the house battery is under the aft dinette bench. If you mount it so your outlets are accessible through the inboard base of the bench, they would be accessible in the aisle. You’d have to cut a fairly large hole for the inverter outlet face to be useable.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I don't know your layout but I've installed plenty of inverters in plenty of offroad vehicles.
A plastic ammo can at harborfreight.com mounted UNDER THE FLOOR will not take up any room inside the coach, be perfectly waterproof and very very easily accessed.
There's lots of unutilized room under that coach.
Place a switch and a dedicated plug wherever you want those inside your coach.
There is no need to ever access the inverter except to replace it if it blows out.

Also:
A coffee machine might not let an inverter run on just one battery.
Start the coach or install an additional battery.

And
Go bigger on the inverter.
'right sizing' an inverter means buying one at least twice as big as you think you'll need.

And
at 12v output, you can drop a LOT of volts and still run everything made in America to run on 110/120v.
While wire size is important and you should go bigger if possible, don't fret a few feet or even double the length over what is said to be needed.
And
That four feet of wire included is a nicety only. Don't limit yourself to that length because it was thrown into the kit.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:33 PM   #10

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
I installed a stand alone 1500/3000W inverter behind a cabinet under the refrigerator. The DC supply cables are approx. 8 ft long each. Whereever you install it, be sure to use large enough cable on the DC supply side. I used "00" gage fine strand welding cable.
JC