Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2017, 03:07 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE
State: Florida
THOR #10225
We bought a house in Florida that came with what they call a pole barn down here. It has 30 amp service and water access. I guess we figured we needed to purchase a motorhome to put in it.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #42

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by werbrichfamily View Post
We can't park or Windsport at the house because of HOA. We found a large and secure lot about a mile from our house where we keep this one and our previous Class C. We were charged $50 a month for the last 8 years, then the owner just upped it to $65 per month. There are other store and lock facilities that have RV storage, but the place we have it now is safe and nearby. The owner patrols the lot and keeps the gate locked after dark.

Yes we had one when we lived in San Antonio it was a pain loading and unloading when we went camping. One of the reasons we chose our last house was we didn’t want an HOA dictating our lifestyle.

wenz
Old 12-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #43

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
We store ours about 300 ft behind the house. Near the barn.
It is connected to shore power for a quick visit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Post photo.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	8198  
Old 12-13-2017, 12:59 AM   #44

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Spent alot of freetime over the summer, it's the last big project for me. Built a 20'by 24' pavilion. Dumped about 8 ish into it. 30 amp in the future. During winter a tight fit with both boat and rv. During summer I will have boat in water, so only rv will be parked. It'll make a great party central area.Also, I'll be ready to bugout in the time it takes to pack .Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_115523.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	8203Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_131951.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	8204
Old 12-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #45

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
I know most of you probably store your rig in your yard. But many of us don't have that luxury.

I stopped at nearby U-Haul dealer who also has storage lockers and stores RVs. They are booked up on RV spaces and they almost never come available. If they did have one, they charge $109.99 a month and the largest RV they will take is a 30 footer. So my Vegas would be fine - if they had any space. And they don't even bother with a waiting list.

I currently have a membership in a local campground and part of my membership fee gives me the right to store my Vegas in a storage area that the park maintains. But that park is 15 miles from my apartment.

So I'm wondering what do other people do and what are you paying?
Was paying $60/mo but it was outside in the elements. May want to store covered if you can find one. Saw one for $110/mo.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #46

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
We pay $225/mo for inside storage (15X45) with electricity. Pricey but good to have out of the elements and having electricity to keep fridge cold and batteries charged is nice. Would rather keep at home but same issue as others concerning HOA and RV garages...
Old 12-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #47

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We store ours in an outdoor lot about 10 miles from the house. The lot is gravel roads and spots. They have been putting down some asphalt each spring, but its more like a gravel refresh versus actual paving.

Costs us $120 per month, which is pretty much the best rate we've found in the Denver area. RV storage locations are at a premium and the guy who owns our lot says he has a waiting list and that his competitors also have waiting lists. We started at $100/month but prices have creeped up each year. We do pay the a year at a time and get and extra free month.

The lot is 24 hr access (gate and code) and has lots of video cameras that are monitored. He installed a dump station with air and water last spring on site. He's also building a covered lot at another location (50% garages and 50% canopy) but prices start at $250/mo. If I had a big Tiffin or other high end DP the covered storage would be worth it, but not for the ACE. We also don't use a cover. I would guess about 20% of the rigs in the lot have covers, and a lot of them are in tatters by the end of the winter. I don't see any of the Class A's or Class C's with covers. Those that are covered tend to be trailers or 5th Wheel's.

We've moved spots a couple of times as most of the lot is on a slope, but a 40 ft back-in spot in the back of the lot opened up. Its very level and 15 ft wide. We store the dolly behind the coach and I put our 100 watt solar panel up in the back of the spot. As we are in the back row with a fence behind us, I feel fairly safe leaving the solar panel out to keep our batteries charged. Its out of sight unless you walk around the coach. Now all I have to do is get the guy with the brand new 40ft 5th Wheel next to me to actually park in his space. Right now his back corner is about 2 ft over the line. I'd hate to scratch his shiny new rig when I open my wet bay door.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #48
Max

THOR #6984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I was building my pole barn the same time as OldChief but was behind his progress. It is mostly finished now:

Already had 30 Amp, water and sewer in that location for our previous TTs.

14' x 32'
That looks like our RV. We have an Ace 30.1. I'm trying to get in a better mood about buying it. What did ugi do to get yours to ride smooth? My inside isn't comfortable.. have you done any upgrades? Our water pump isn't working now. We've already had to replace players on generator and levelers. The stove ignitor isn't working also. I have a bad taste in my mouth about having this RV. My hubby isn't mechanically inclined, so all I see are $$$$. We bought extended warranty, but it didn't cover the above mentioned replacements. Very disappointed. Haven't even been out of Florida yet. Thanks for any suggestions. We did put a steering stabilizer on it... hubby said it helped, not sure myself. I haven't driven it and he probably doesn't want to tell me if it didn't improve anything. Thanks, Max
Old 03-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #49

Model: Four Winds 24FS Class C
State: California
THOR #10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
I know most of you probably store your rig in your yard. But many of us don't have that luxury.

I stopped at nearby U-Haul dealer who also has storage lockers and stores RVs. They are booked up on RV spaces and they almost never come available. If they did have one, they charge $109.99 a month and the largest RV they will take is a 30 footer. So my Vegas would be fine - if they had any space. And they don't even bother with a waiting list.

I currently have a membership in a local campground and part of my membership fee gives me the right to store my Vegas in a storage area that the park maintains. But that park is 15 miles from my apartment.

So I'm wondering what do other people do and what are you paying?
We store our motorhome at an indoor RV storage warehouse near our house. It is expensive - about $185/mo. We moved the RV from an outdoor facility after several brake ins, including one in our rig. The place we have now is secured.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:56 AM   #50

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Arizona
THOR #10761
$85 per month for covered. Fenced with each renter being issued a remote for the gate. There is a laser security system around the perimeter at night. Free dump station with attendant that assists and a wash station. Plus it is 4 miles from my house.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	9504  
Old 03-28-2018, 03:15 AM   #51

Model: Palazzo 36.3
State: Texas
THOR #6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by milobramble View Post
$85 per month for covered. Fenced with each renter being issued a remote for the gate. There is a laser security system around the perimeter at night. Free dump station with attendant that assists and a wash station. Plus it is 4 miles from my house.
Wow. That's nice. I pay $150 a month for covered, about 13' x 45' no dump station. I'm on a waiting list for something closer, nicer, and a bit more per month that has dump, water, ice, and a wash area in Denton, Texas.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:16 AM   #52

Model: Palazzo 36.3
State: Texas
THOR #6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo-tek View Post
Wow. That's nice. I pay $150 a month for covered, about 13' x 45' no dump station. I'm on a waiting list for something closer, nicer, and a bit more per month that has dump, water, ice, and a wash area in Denton, Texas.
I forgot I have power too.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:36 AM   #53

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Store mine inside R.V. garage but it's only 24'.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #54
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
That looks like our RV. We have an Ace 30.1. I'm trying to get in a better mood about buying it. What did ugi do to get yours to ride smooth? My inside isn't comfortable.. have you done any upgrades? Our water pump isn't working now. We've already had to replace players on generator and levelers. The stove ignitor isn't working also. I have a bad taste in my mouth about having this RV. My hubby isn't mechanically inclined, so all I see are $$$$. We bought extended warranty, but it didn't cover the above mentioned replacements. Very disappointed. Haven't even been out of Florida yet. Thanks for any suggestions. We did put a steering stabilizer on it... hubby said it helped, not sure myself. I haven't driven it and he probably doesn't want to tell me if it didn't improve anything. Thanks, Max
Yeah, all the ACEs look the same from the front.
We bought ours used with 2300 miles on it; the previous owners had already put a Roadmaster steering stabilizer on it. No CHF because it would need longer arms to do it. Ours drives fine unless you are out in really gusty crosswinds, like 30+ mph.

We had an issue with our leveler pump motor due to one of the valves being manually bypassed without my knowledge either by the previous owner or maybe it came that way from the factory.

Other than that we have been trouble-free. Things like stoves and water pumps are standard RV systems, not Thor specific, Fortunately we have had travel trailers for years so I am well familiar with these types of things.

Where in Florida are you? We are in Lake City and I know of at least 2 other ACEs within 5 miles of our house.

Will you be going to the Mini-Rally in Brooksville next month?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #55

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Covered storage place on concrete is 70 per month, gated I with it had some power but for the price ill take it.

KC
Old 03-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #56
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm currently looking for a friend with a large barn...
Do Brother-in-Laws count?
(He's got some unused barns that have electricity AND 30 amp hook-ups!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #57

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Pad with W/S/E (20/30/50a)
in the back yard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180329_151900.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	9519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180329_151847.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	9520  

Name:	IMG_20180329_151936.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	9521  
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:29 PM   #58
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Do you rent that spot out, when you're on the road?
It sure looks like a GREAT set-up!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:54 PM   #59

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Do you rent that spot out, when you're on the road?
It sure looks like a GREAT set-up!
Sorry but no,, However IF things work out for fulltiming in 18 months to 2 years.... may sell..4 bdrm, 1800sf ranch, 2.5 car garage on a corner lot...across from an elementary school, and county park.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv storage lots