Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2017, 04:22 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: California
THOR #4835
It would be nice if Thor could have two inputs like most RV's! They give us these stupid TV's that won't get most cable systems then we try to switch to satellite and it won't hook up! I also have a 2016 Windsport and I have a portable satellite that the wires have to come through the window. I'm looking at your pictures but that seems way over my head! Should of stayed with my Tiffin.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:11 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
I installed a wally with dish King Tailgator in the RV today.
I had hope that connecting to the cable plug would surprise me and work either with the ant power booster on OR off. didn't happen.
I'm thinking along the lines of adding another port like yours with an HDMI splitter. I did purchase a second wally for separate viewing but that will require even more brain cells than I have left. At the moment, I'm using the outside TV for dish because it has easy access for the wally. I could run the coax through a window I guess for the time being but all that work will take away the fun of watching tv.

Where did you get the new cable port? It looks like the orig.
I currently have a Tailgater (one coax output) and a Dish VIP211Z. I was inquiring about upgrading my antenna to the dual coax output. A Dish guy told me this which changed my mind:
If you use the one antenna but two receivers, you “may” be able to watch two separate channels, ONLY if the two channels are on the same satellite. My Dish receives sat #’s 110, 119 & 129. So if your shows come in on diff satellites, then two receivers don’t do you any good.

As for the splitter, on my ‘15 29.3 it is behind the ant boost switch.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
You will run coax from the dish to the Direct Box, then HDMI to each TV. I have a roof mounted satellite auto deploys with one button push, Coax running from it to the direct box in a cabinet above the refrigerator, then HDMI to each of the three TV's.
Exact same setup with my Hurricane 35M.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #24

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
Before we took possession of our ACE I had the dealer add a second coaxial input on the outside of our rig, next to the original one. I was very specific that I wanted to be able to run the 2 TVs independently from each other. The installation of the second input looks identical to the original one. When we hook up our Winegard Carryout I use 2 cables on the outside. The receivers are then hooked up inside just like the would be at home. Only difference is if we use park cable (which rarely happens), and then we need to move the inside cable and switch the input on the televisions. AND we've never had an issue with the bedroom Seiki TV not being able to work with the park's cable.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #25

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
I installed a wally with dish King Tailgator in the RV today.
I had hope that connecting to the cable plug would surprise me and work either with the ant power booster on OR off. didn't happen.
I'm thinking along the lines of adding another port like yours with an HDMI splitter. I did purchase a second wally for separate viewing but that will require even more brain cells than I have left. At the moment, I'm using the outside TV for dish because it has easy access for the wally. I could run the coax through a window I guess for the time being but all that work will take away the fun of watching tv.

Where did you get the new cable port? It looks like the orig.
I placed my satellite receiver in my av space above dinette and installed an AB switch. Now I can look at cable or switch to satellite by connecting to cable box at pole or to Tailgater. Much simpler. Actually added satellite if I couldn’t get cable or better reception.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:07 AM   #26
dfh

State: Florida
THOR #10746
Regrets

Had my 2018 Thor Windsport 34J for 3 months now and beginning to regret my decision. The short sightedness of the design is baffling. Satellite TV is now the norm and they deliver a design with 10 year old technology. Probably seen my last Thor in my lifetime.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:51 AM   #27

THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfh View Post
Had my 2018 Thor Windsport 34J for 3 months now and beginning to regret my decision. The short sightedness of the design is baffling. Satellite TV is now the norm and they deliver a design with 10 year old technology. Probably seen my last Thor in my lifetime.
Cable or Dish is the norm. I have both and use Dish if cable has limited channels.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #28

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I installed the Dish Wally in the electronics cabinet over the microwave. Disconnected the camp cable in coax from the switch/antenna amplifier and connected it directly to the Dish Wally unit then connect the Dish Playmaker to the outside cable connection.

HDMI from the Wally to the HDMI distribution box and I can switch between the Blueray player and the Wally signal being sent to the TVs.

Now I get my entire home TV lineup on all 3 TVs. I did not run into any roadblocks, was afraid the coax routing thru the coach would not be clean enough for the system to work. I really like the HDMI routing that Thor put in, makes things easier to work with.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #29

THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
I installed the Dish Wally in the electronics cabinet over the microwave. Disconnected the camp cable in coax from the switch/antenna amplifier and connected it directly to the Dish Wally unit then connect the Dish Playmaker to the outside cable connection.

HDMI from the Wally to the HDMI distribution box and I can switch between the Blueray player and the Wally signal being sent to the TVs.

Now I get my entire home TV lineup on all 3 TVs. I did not run into any roadblocks, was afraid the coax routing thru the coach would not be clean enough for the system to work. I really like the HDMI routing that Thor put in, makes things easier to work with.
Mine is similar to yours except I used an AB switch to connect camper coax to it to watch cable (A) or satellite (B) when I can’t get good reception. Plug King Tailgater to outside coax connector.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #30

THOR #6040
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskmgr View Post
Mine is similar to yours except I used an AB switch to connect camper coax to it to watch cable (A) or satellite (B) when I can’t get good reception. Plug King Tailgater to outside coax connector.
where is your A/B switch, just curious, I dont intend on using camp cable.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #31

THOR #9957
Quote:
where is your A/B switch, just curious, I dont intend on using camp cable.
It’s where my camper coax comes in: cabinet above dinette. If I get the channels I like on cable, I use cable only but if campsite doesn’t have cable, I use satellite.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #32

THOR #6040
your campground cable input is routed via coax to the individual TVs, downstream from the existing A/B switch that also has the antenna amplifier.

Your satellite used a receiver box, then HDMI distribution. What are you A/B switching on the Coax level? Did you route another coac to the cabinet from and outside connection?

Not sure what this accomplishes or how????
Old 04-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #33

THOR #9957
Quote:
your campground cable input is routed via coax to the individual TVs, downstream from the existing A/B switch that also has the antenna amplifier.

Your satellite used a receiver box, then HDMI distribution. What are you A/B switching on the Coax level? Did you route another coac to the cabinet from and outside connection?

Not sure what this accomplishes or how????
The existing coax cable goes into AB switch and I select cable or satelllire. AB output goes to coax connector to all TVs.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #34

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskmgr View Post
The existing coax cable goes into AB switch and I select cable or satelllire. AB output goes to coax connector to all TVs.
I now have the same setup. Switching the A/B selector to satellite bypasses the OTA amplifier. If the park has decent cable, I hook it up outside, select cable on the A/B switch, and turn off the OTA amp. If there is no cable, or it is not very good, I grab my mobile dish out of the storage bay, hook it up, select SAT on the A/B switch, and use it.

The reason I use cable if they have it, and it works well, is that it gets the local network channels and makes it easy to watch the few network programs we like. With my DISH service, the only way I can get the network channels is to change my service address each time I move (this gets me the RV park's local network channels), then change it back to my home address when I get back home so we can get the local channels at home. This is a pain. They tell me I might be able to get my home local channels while on the road if the satellite signal is strong, but I have not been able to get them yet when hooked up at any of the RV parks where I have used my DISH.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #35

THOR #6040
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
I now have the same setup. Switching the A/B selector to satellite bypasses the OTA amplifier. If the park has decent cable, I hook it up outside, select cable on the A/B switch, and turn off the OTA amp. If there is no cable, or it is not very good, I grab my mobile dish out of the storage bay, hook it up, select SAT on the A/B switch, and use it.

The reason I use cable if they have it, and it works well, is that it gets the local network channels and makes it easy to watch the few network programs we like. With my DISH service, the only way I can get the network channels is to change my service address each time I move (this gets me the RV park's local network channels), then change it back to my home address when I get back home so we can get the local channels at home. This is a pain. They tell me I might be able to get my home local channels while on the road if the satellite signal is strong, but I have not been able to get them yet when hooked up at any of the RV parks where I have used my DISH.

so the A/B switch between the satellite dish antenna and the receiver is not a problem, but a splitter would be? Not the amplifier/switch, but a simple splitter.

I thought your "home" locals would be unchanged and available unless you wanted to get actual locals from where you happen to be. Does it depend on your ability to be able to receive from all of the satellites. ???
Old 04-25-2018, 06:37 PM   #36

THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post

I have to call Dish each time I move and go through prompts in Dish tv to set up but if cable has what I like, I use cable. I use Dish only when no cable oroviddd st Campground.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:47 PM   #37

THOR #8503
Smile

Quote:
so the A/B switch between the satellite dish antenna and the receiver is not a problem, but a splitter would be? Not the amplifier/switch, but a simple splitter.

I thought your "home" locals would be unchanged and available unless you wanted to get actual locals from where you happen to be. Does it depend on your ability to be able to receive from all of the satellites. ???
The coax from outside is split - one split goes to directly to the A/B switch, the other goes to the satellite receiver. The satellite receiver output then goes to the A/B switch. If SAT is selected on the A/B switch, it bypasses the OTA amp completely, allowing satellite to work. If CABLE is selected on the A/B switch it goes to the wallplate for the OTA amp where the coax input to the tv is located.

I also thought my "home" locals would be unchanged and available unless I wanted the actual locals from where I happen to be. However, each time I have tied it, the screen stays blank for a couple of minutes when I select my "local" channel and then tells me the signal is unavailable. I called DISH and asked about it and they told me it depends on the signal strength, at your location, of the particular satellite your "home" locals are hosted on. My home locals are in St. Louis. I have not been able to get them using my mobile dish in Georgia or Tennessee RV parks. If I change my service address to that of the RV park, then I get their local channels. I would prefer my "real" home locals so I can somewhat keep up with local news. When I watch network programming, I don't care which locals I get. Sure is fun figuring it all out, though.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 04-25-2018, 09:16 PM   #38

THOR #6040
Wayne

Is this schematic representative of how you connected everything?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	9900  
Old 04-25-2018, 10:37 PM   #39

THOR #8503
Quote:
Wayne

Is this schematic representative of how you connected everything?
Everything is the same except there is another HDMI output from the A/B switch that goes directly to the TV, bypassing the OTA amp, when in SAT mode. Also, I don't have to worry about the position of the amp on/off button when in SAT mode.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 04-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #40

THOR #6040
Ultimately I am interested in the first splitter, if it will work with Dish. I know they say not to use a splitter, but was wondering if it can work anyway. Right now, I dont use the first splitter so I have no connection for coax from the outside to the TVs which is not a problem because I either use Dish or OTA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	9907