Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2022, 11:50 PM   #1
RWF

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 36MQ
State: Washington
THOR #15174
Whirlpool Microwave Convection

My wife is an avid baker, but she hates the Whirpool Microwave Convection oven in our Tuscany. It takes a long time to heat up and never actually gets up to tempreature. Is this a common problem with these units?
We bought an oven thermomiter and it showed that the oven is 50 degrees low when set at 350, and doesn't get clear up to 350 even if 400 is selected.
I do enjoy the results of the baking, but I don't get it much in the motorhome. Any ideas?..........Signed Hungry

Old 02-28-2022, 03:24 AM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Ours gets to temperature but takes a long time as well

Hybrid microwave, convection seems to work best

You might want to replace the dishwasher with an electric oven

Could go 220v since you're 50 amp
Old 02-28-2022, 01:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Have you checked the manual to see if there is some type of adjustment that can be done.

We had a Whirlpool in the Challenger and a Furion in the current rig. No complaints about either.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:30 PM   #4
RWF

THOR #15174
Ours dors not have a dishwasher, and so far we are not willing to give up the storage space below the cook top.
I would be surprised if there is an adjustment for the temperature but next time I am over there I'll take a look. Thanks.....
Old 03-01-2022, 03:41 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
We have a convection microwave at home (GE). It does take a long time heat compared to the oven. These ovens are a 120 volt appliance and that limits the BTU of the heating element pretty severely. The cavity is relatively large and the insulation thin adding to the problem.

Space is at a premium of course, but maybe some counter top options would be better - like an air fryer, toaster oven, or electric rotisserie.
Old 03-02-2022, 12:32 AM   #6

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
we have a ge cafe series advantinum that replaced the whirpool,
night and day difference
Old 03-02-2022, 04:16 AM   #7
RWF

THOR #15174
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
we have a ge cafe series advantinum that replaced the whirpool,
night and day difference
That sounds interesting, I'll check it out.......
Old 03-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 35MQ
State: Florida
THOR #21743
We now travel with a small countertop airfryer. Relatively inexpensive and great for things like baking, french fries and reheating. It looks like a small toaster oven. Walmart has them.
Old 03-02-2022, 12:23 PM   #9
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
We just bought a Ninja Flip up convection/air fryer/ toaster oven. Pan size is 13 x 13. It also flips up to take back your counter space when not using, which in our rig is greatly needed. The one we bought is the 13 in 1 function one on Amazon. The older versions (8 in 1) sold in Walmart/Sams club etc. has a shorter inside height and 1 less rack position.
Since she likes to bake, it may be an option for you.
It is pricey, and they have been having used ones for over a 100.00 cheaper. I bought a used and all the packing tape was still on it, so it was never used.
Many good reviews and videos on YouTube also.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...air+fryer+oven

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-05-2022, 11:05 PM   #10

THOR #44
convection oven not heating properly

I have a 2012 Redwood and am original owner, 36FB, 50 amp. I have used the EOM Whirlpool Microwave/Convection oven many times and I notice that in the summer, when it is hot outside and the 2 A/Cs are running, the Convection will NOT heat to the extent it should, and even the microwave does not perform to the same standard of minutes - thus I have to increase cooking time. SO, I don't know, maybe it's a mind game, but when I turn off one of the A/Cs for the time I'm using the microwave for more than a quick heat up, and always for the convection, the time seems to be accurate. I have no way to measure the heat in the convection oven other than believe it's right. I will also add that it DOES take a very long time to heat convection oven to high tempeatures. I usually skip that phase by using microwave a few minutes to give the food a head start. My cooking isn't perfect and is not required. Also, if I turn off the Convection oven when finished rather than let it sit and cool down naturally, the noise of the blower will drive me crazy as it runs for a LONG time. (When I forget and turn off, I reach up over the oven in the cabinet and pull the plug temporarily to stop it.)
Old 03-06-2022, 12:07 AM   #11

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWF View Post
That sounds interesting, I'll check it out.......
its a freaking awesome machine, does convection, microwave and VERY VERY bright lights in speed cook
took me about 6 months to science it out, now i am the CHEF to beat
Old 03-06-2022, 12:01 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
I have a 2012 Redwood and am original owner, 36FB, 50 amp. I have used the EOM Whirlpool Microwave/Convection oven many times and I notice that in the summer, when it is hot outside and the 2 A/Cs are running, the Convection will NOT heat to the extent it should, and even the microwave does not perform to the same standard of minutes - thus I have to increase cooking time. SO, I don't know, maybe it's a mind game, but when I turn off one of the A/Cs for the time I'm using the microwave for more than a quick heat up, and always for the convection, the time seems to be accurate. I have no way to measure the heat in the convection oven other than believe it's right. I will also add that it DOES take a very long time to heat convection oven to high tempeatures. I usually skip that phase by using microwave a few minutes to give the food a head start. My cooking isn't perfect and is not required. Also, if I turn off the Convection oven when finished rather than let it sit and cool down naturally, the noise of the blower will drive me crazy as it runs for a LONG time. (When I forget and turn off, I reach up over the oven in the cabinet and pull the plug temporarily to stop it.)
Are you seeing low voltage when operating both AC's and microwave? Makes a huge difference 120 vs 110 or similar
Old 03-10-2022, 03:42 PM   #13

THOR #44
Don't know about low voltage but doesn't the outdoor temperature have some affect on the amps that actually flow from the post into the RV through the cord. Also, doesn't the distance of the cord flow also impact voltage in some way? Micro on 15 amp, A/Cs on 20 amp (one A/C on each 50 amp side of panel.) I have no idea how to check the voltage on roof a/c units if you don't mind, let me know! Thanks.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:00 AM   #14
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Look up your model convection oven and and see the requirements for air space around the oven
I suspect you will find no where near is met by RV manufacturers
Old 03-11-2022, 02:27 AM   #15

Model: Aria 3401
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWF View Post
My wife is an avid baker, but she hates the Whirpool Microwave Convection oven in our Tuscany. It takes a long time to heat up and never actually gets up to tempreature. Is this a common problem with these units?
We bought an oven thermomiter and it showed that the oven is 50 degrees low when set at 350, and doesn't get clear up to 350 even if 400 is selected.
I do enjoy the results of the baking, but I don't get it much in the motorhome. Any ideas?..........Signed Hungry
Ours works great. Maybe something is not right with yours. We cook roasts and bake. Works as like the Wolf at home.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:02 AM   #16

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
We absolutely love the Whirlpool convection microwave in our Aria and we bake bread in it regularly. Sorry to hear you are having issues
Old 03-16-2022, 01:00 PM   #17

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Don't know about low voltage but doesn't the outdoor temperature have some affect on the amps that actually flow from the post into the RV through the cord. Also, doesn't the distance of the cord flow also impact voltage in some way? Micro on 15 amp, A/Cs on 20 amp (one A/C on each 50 amp side of panel.) I have no idea how to check the voltage on roof a/c units if you don't mind, let me know! Thanks.
Use your VOM and check the voltage

Makes a huge difference if you're getting voltage drop or low line voltage at your pedestal

Since your inside the only affects outdoor temp woul have us if the utility was experiencing high demand and system voltage dropped

Or if you're operating heat pumps and or space heaters and dropping voltage by demand
Old 03-21-2022, 07:43 PM   #18

Model: 40KQ
State: Oklahoma
THOR #24608
same problem with mine. I turn off all I can before using mine. In the hot summer I just use one AC until its finished cooking.
Also i set it the heat setting higher than what the food says. then watch thru the glass or the smell smoke test lol
baking a pizza now, and yes I hate that cool down function
Old 03-22-2022, 01:33 AM   #19

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
We just bought a Ninja Flip up convection/air fryer/ toaster oven. Pan size is 13 x 13. It also flips up to take back your counter space when not using, which in our rig is greatly needed. The one we bought is the 13 in 1 function one on Amazon. The older versions (8 in 1) sold in Walmart/Sams club etc. has a shorter inside height and 1 less rack position.
Since she likes to bake, it may be an option for you.
It is pricey, and they have been having used ones for over a 100.00 cheaper. I bought a used and all the packing tape was still on it, so it was never used.
Many good reviews and videos on YouTube also.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...air+fryer+oven

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm seriously thinking of replacing our useless propane oven in our class C with one of these... make it sort of built-in, depending on requirements for heat dissipation and amperage requirements. I saw a recent video where an Airstream owner replaced their oven this way. I'd replace the microwave with a convection, but it's too small.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:39 PM   #20

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Most air cookers work well. We have used them for 30 years or so and just recently started using them a lot more.

Lots of options with several with good reviews and some not so much

Be curious how it works if you go with it