Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Silly questions re bedding

I'm hoping this is the right forum in which to post.

We have a new Hurricane 27K and I have a few rather silly questions about the bedding that came with the coach.

1 - does anyone know if the "bedspread" is washable? I looked over the whole thing and could not find a tag to indicate fabric care. I don't plan to use it, but wanted to wash it and store it away.

2 - has anyone had any luck getting the shams off the pillows? Again, I want to wash them. The shams are so tight-fitting that I have found it impossible to get them off the pillows. Guess I'm going to have to open a seam somewhere.

3 - does anyone actually use the spread that came with the coach? If so, do you just pull it off when getting into the bed? It's like a fitted sheet and doesn't seem to be practical to use as a spread.

Thanks for any insight anyone might have on these petty little issues!

Old 06-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
We have a Hurricane 34E........I don't think we tried to wash the stuff.....just folded it and put them away. We bought all new bedding for the coach. But, as you are, we will keep the old stuff to decorate again if we sell.

Tom
Old 06-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #3

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I think that is mainly a cover for display. Not meant for function!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #4

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
We have a Hurricane 34E........I don't think we tried to wash the stuff.....just folded it and put them away. We bought all new bedding for the coach. But, as you are, we will keep the old stuff to decorate again if we sell.

Tom
Thanks for the reply! That's what I want to do...fold them up and put them away. But I hate to put them away dirty. I'm sure people were all over the spread and the pillows/shams smell dusty. Maybe I'll just spray them with Lysol, set them out in the sun for an hour and then pack them up.

I'm currently re-purposing some of our extra bedroom stuff until I decide what I want to do. Thinking about maybe some nice quality extra large sleeping bags, with a spread to cover when we're not sleeping. Or I may go with a new comforter set altogether.

Thanks again!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #5

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
I think that is mainly a cover for display. Not meant for function!
That's kind of what I was thinking as well. The set looks nice on first glance, but is not really that functional. I think I'll pack it away and find something easier to keep clean!

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #6

THOR #1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
Thanks for the reply! That's what I want to do...fold them up and put them away. But I hate to put them away dirty. I'm sure people were all over the spread and the pillows/shams smell dusty. Maybe I'll just spray them with Lysol, set them out in the sun for an hour and then pack them up.

I'm currently re-purposing some of our extra bedroom stuff until I decide what I want to do. Thinking about maybe some nice quality extra large sleeping bags, with a spread to cover when we're not sleeping. Or I may go with a new comforter set altogether.

Thanks again!
We did the same, brought some odds and ends extra linens from the house. We did that for the first few months, and now the wife just bought a new set for the coach. Our goal is to be fully moved in the coach, with clothing, bedding, dish ware, everything we need, so when we decide to go out on a weekend trip, all we need to bring is toiletries, medicine, and groceries! No packing and unpacking the coach each time.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #7

State: California
THOR #937
Quote:

Tom
Hey, I resemble that remark. To the letter!
Old 06-10-2015, 03:27 AM   #8

THOR #2005
Quote:
We did the same, brought some odds and ends extra linens from the house. We did that for the first few months, and now the wife just bought a new set for the coach. Our goal is to be fully moved in the coach, with clothing, bedding, dish ware, everything we need, so when we decide to go out on a weekend trip, all we need to bring is toiletries, medicine, and groceries! No packing and unpacking the coach each time.
Exactly what we want to do - be ready to GO at a moment's notice with the only thing necessary to add being food & drinks!
Old 06-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
That is how my wife and I have been doing it for a few years. She even has the toiletries packed away in the coach so all that is required are the groceries. We also have a "last minute packing list" which includes the meds, cameras, laptops and safes for documents and a couple of other items.

One tip I will provide, clothes that are one or two wearings away from the trash, load them in the coach. I consider these disposable and when travelling after the clothes are worn they are thrown away rather than laundered. These include, but are not limited to, dress shirts that are no longer "suit and tie quality" due to age, old jeans, underwear and socks.

We do occasionally go out to the coach and reevaluate what is packed away due to the changing of the seasons or if we are going to travel through multiple climate zones, for example from Central Virginia to Florida in January or from the flatlands to the mountains in late October or November.

Our primary goal is to have fun and not have the RV become a chore or a PITA to load and unload with every trip thereby minimizing the fun.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:57 AM   #10

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
That is how my wife and I have been doing it for a few years. She even has the toiletries packed away in the coach so all that is required are the groceries. We also have a "last minute packing list" which includes the meds, cameras, laptops and safes for documents and a couple of other items.

One tip I will provide, clothes that are one or two wearings away from the trash, load them in the coach. I consider these disposable and when travelling after the clothes are worn they are thrown away rather than laundered. These include, but are not limited to, dress shirts that are no longer "suit and tie quality" due to age, old jeans, underwear and socks.

We do occasionally go out to the coach and reevaluate what is packed away due to the changing of the seasons or if we are going to travel through multiple climate zones, for example from Central Virginia to Florida in January or from the flatlands to the mountains in late October or November.

Our primary goal is to have fun and not have the RV become a chore or a PITA to load and unload with every trip thereby minimizing the fun.
Great suggestions! I'm working toward a "fully stocked" coach, yet without overdoing it...easy for me to do!

Years ago we had a travel trailer, and kept some old expendable pieces of clothing in the trailer for one of those "just in case" times. Never really used them but it was good to know we had them.

Our free time has been a bit choppy lately so we have yet to be able to just drop things and take off. We hope to do that in a few weeks' time.

Thanks again for the good ideas, and happy travels!
Old 06-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #11

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34f
State: Arkansas
THOR #1845
Bed cover

My wife said ours had a tag that said dry clean only. Even so she has washed it 3 times on cold water and dryed it on cool cycle. It may have faded slightly but otherwise you can't tell it's been laundered.so far we have just vacuumed the pillows.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #12

Model: Citation 29TB
State: Florida
THOR #2191
We keep our loaded except the frig ready to go. Now we are in Hurricane season.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:18 AM   #13

THOR #1912
Used as a bed skirt

We have the Windsport 27k and did purchase new bedding. When I looked under the mattress and found unfinished plywood I thought using the original spread as a bed skirt would protect the mattress. Works like a charm!!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:07 AM   #14

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsqltr View Post
We have the Windsport 27k and did purchase new bedding. When I looked under the mattress and found unfinished plywood I thought using the original spread as a bed skirt would protect the mattress. Works like a charm!!
I like the sound of your idea, but I'm so curious - how did you manage to use the spread as a bed skirt? Did you just lay it over the wooden bed surface, under the mattress?

Our spread is fitted, like a sheet, with the "skirt" hanging off on 3 sides, so I'm not sure what we would "wrap" it around under the mattress.

Perhaps I'm not visualizing this properly?
Old 06-17-2015, 02:16 AM   #15

THOR #1912
Our spread was squared at the corners and draped over the mattress. So we used it in the same way over the wooden platform instead of the mattress. The picture I have is not very good but I hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3065 (1).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	537  
Old 06-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #16

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsqltr View Post
Our spread was squared at the corners and draped over the mattress. So we used it in the same way over the wooden platform instead of the mattress. The picture I have is not very good but I hope it helps.
Interesting! I'll have to take another look at ours and see if that might work on our bed. I like the idea of a bed skirt to cover up the ugly "wood" frame.

Thanks for the picture!
Old 06-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Interesting, I thought my DW was alone worrying about the bedsheets and comforter. Give me a pillow, a wool blanket and something softer than the bed of a duce & a half but firmer then the mesh benches of a C-140 and I can go to sleep in no time.

Our problem on the Vegas 24.1 is that the back bed, when put together as a "King", is actually 92" X 75" which is larger than a King! The lady at Bed Bath and Beyound recommended something called "The California King" set of sheets (sticker shock). My DW is thinking a King but for a deep mattress bed??? Any suggestions here?

DocMike
NCNG Ret

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
On our 24.1 we use two twin fitted sheets for the bottom sheets and a king sheet and blanket over the top.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #19

THOR #1226
We packaged up the bed spread and pillows and stored them away. The DH is a quilter and she used one of beautiful quilts for the bed. It looks a lot better than that ugly thing that the 27K came with.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #20

Model: Seranno 33A
THOR #2389
Quote:
I was wondering if you pack ANY groceries and just leave them? (Like sealed tuna packages, packages of pasta, condiments etc?) I would really like to leave some in there but am afraid even sealed it might attract mice/rats etc.