Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #1

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Michigan
THOR #5105
Why is the vin needed?

Everytime I go to get a part for my TT the dealerships ask for the vin number. We currently have a 01 Dutchman Sport, I want to replace the old worn out twist clamps (that hold the tents beds uP) to the new clamp locks that are on the newer TT. They are more secure and even have a lock to them However, all the dealerships/service centers won't order them or sell them without the vin number. I know, we are somewhat new the TT world but, we have been camping for years and just within the last 5 years have started using a Travel trailer.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Well you'd like to think that they have records on file indexed to your VIN of how your unit was manufactured, etc. (Since RVs and Campers are essentially hand built you'd like to think that they have detailed information on what is in and how it was built.) This way when you order parts you get the correct part.

Unfortunately I don't think they keep that detailed of records...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
An added note to Jamie's reply...
Thor has discontinued the Dutchmen line .. therefore, there may be no available records for the age of your tt (one would think they would archive important information)
Secondly, when we were speaking with Thor Warranty recently, 'Bob' pulled up our 'build sheet' from our VIN ... which he said showed every part and piece used in the build of our motorhome.

Rons thought is...if you can determine who manufactured the part/piece you are looking for you might be able to go directly to that company or supplier.

I will be happy to help out if you can give me a good description of what you are looking for.

I GOOGLED TWIST CLAMP... do not know if this is what you are looking for ...
try AMAZON in search window type Twist Clamp
they have several options.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41FdPSsOzAL.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	2825
K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

THOR #5105

this what I'm looking for
https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/2/AAD...60&size_mode=3
this is what I have now.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:14 PM   #5

THOR #5105
Being a Machinist for years I have several of these clamps.

What I'm trying to find is a Fold out bunk clamps:

This is what I have are these and we have to change them one every other year.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:16 AM   #6
vkb

THOR #3510
That is crazy...in checking all the options from Amazon to Ebay to a couple RV Parts suppliers...thay all offer, basically, the JR Bunk Clamp .. or something similar.

I was not able to open the link you posted.

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

THOR #5105
Forgive the link, I tried to delete that post however, something didn't work right.

As for the bunk clamps, I did find them at a RV surplus center. But My question is and wasn't so much about towards finding the bunk clamps, It's more about; Why does the dealership ask for the vin number on everything your looking for and not just look up the part I'm inquiring about. Then they won't sell the parts.

In our family, SHMBO sees something on one of our friends TT or a TT at a show or dealers lot and looks at me and say "We should put that on our TT" and that's when I have to go find these items and make it happen on ours. Then I go to one of the local Stealerships and just get livid because they won't sell the part. Most the stuff I've found on Amazon and Ebay but, I would rather just go and see it and get it, instead of waiting two days to two weeks to get what I need.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:13 AM   #8
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by zweasel View Post
Forgive the link, I tried to delete that post however, something didn't work right.

As for the bunk clamps, I did find them at a RV surplus center. But My question is and wasn't so much about towards finding the bunk clamps, It's more about; Why does the dealership ask for the vin number on everything your looking for and not just look up the part I'm inquiring about. Then they won't sell the parts.

In our family, SHMBO sees something on one of our friends TT or a TT at a show or dealers lot and looks at me and say "We should put that on our TT" and that's when I have to go find these items and make it happen on ours. Then I go to one of the local Stealerships and just get livid because they won't sell the part. Most the stuff I've found on Amazon and Ebay but, I would rather just go and see it and get it, instead of waiting two days to two weeks to get what I need.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger ! We have all been there .. We spent $$$ yesterday for aftermarket items for our motorhome .. had nothing to do with our VIN # .. and no one asked .. it was CW and they were having a great sale on items at end of season.
When we have been asked for our VIN it has been in reference to warranty or lookup by Thor regarding a part needed. Our VIN , I found out, gives the person on the other end a complete build list on our unit.

On a previous ToyHauler we had, we broke the lens for the light over the tailgate. RV Cruiser could not help us with the part for whatever reason..
(see I know what you are saying !) .. I kept searching for it and finally came up with the right wording and found the exact lens on Amazon !!

So there ya go !
Jeep Wrangler TJ