Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #6107
Wind Control

We have a 2017 Thor Axis 24.1. It drives absolutely awful in the wind. Is there anything that can be installed under the motorhome to help this?

Old 04-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
First thing: Did you get an alignment? Should have got one after the first 100 miles or so.

So far all we have done is an alignment and Sumo Springs on the front. The Sumo's did a great job getting rid of the "wallowing" the Axis did (kind of slow porpoising after hitting a bump).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree... an alignment should be the first thing that you do...
Your next project after that should probably be a steering stabilizer.
After that: have fun playing with the aerodynamics of your rig. Let us know what you figure out!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #4

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
First thing: Did you get an alignment? Should have got one after the first 100 miles or so.

So far all we have done is an alignment and Sumo Springs on the front. The Sumo's did a great job getting rid of the "wallowing" the Axis did (kind of slow porpoising after hitting a bump).
What did your alignment cost and did you go to a Ford dealer ro have it done?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
My alignment was around $150 or so (don't remember the exact price 4 years ago). I had it done at a Goodyear Commercial Tire shop:
https://www.goodyearctsc.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Motorhomes present a huge surface for winds to affect. There are some things you can do to the suspension to help it, but realize that motorhomes will all be sensitive to cross and head winds.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
This issue has been discussed at great length on this forum. If you search handling you'll likely find a lot of advice.

Personally, I had an alignment (paid for by Thor), Safe-T-Plus installed for blow out protection and handling and a larger track bar for the rear. Normal breezy days of 10 - 20 MPH winds cause no problems. Winds above this are manageable but take more attention. Much above 30 MPH winds require driving slower or better yet, finding a place to park it.

My RV is a Miramar which is heavier and larger than the AXIS so that may help some too.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I just slow down a bit...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:19 PM   #9

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
How did you get Thor to foot the bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
This issue has been discussed at great length on this forum. If you search handling you'll likely find a lot of advice.

Personally, I had an alignment (paid for by Thor), Safe-T-Plus installed for blow out protection and handling and a larger track bar for the rear. Normal breezy days of 10 - 20 MPH winds cause no problems. Winds above this are manageable but take more attention. Much above 30 MPH winds require driving slower or better yet, finding a place to park it.

My RV is a Miramar which is heavier and larger than the AXIS so that may help some too.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:46 PM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
What did your alignment cost and did you go to a Ford dealer ro have it done?

My alignment was also about $150, two and a half years ago at Josams in Orlando. They are the experts, they build the alignment equipment that many shops use. You might find a Goodyear truck shop that could do it.

Just a few folks here have been successful getting Thor to pay for alignment under warranty. If you are past that, you are on your own for sure.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:05 AM   #11

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
How did you get Thor to foot the bill?
The first few weeks I owned the new RV, I discovered the alignment was way off. I took it in for the Safe-T-Plus and rear track bar install by the truck center. They did the alignment and told me no vehicle should be sold with it off so much. I called the Thor customer service contact and told him what he said. he told me to submit the claim and he would see what he could do. About 2 weeks later I got a check for the cost of the alignment.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:25 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
My alignment was also about $150, two and a half years ago at Josams in Orlando. They are the experts, they build the alignment equipment that many shops use....
Second Josams. We had ours done there last year. Added a Safe-T-Plus and a rear trac bar and my husband says our Challenger drives like a dream.

High cross winds are always going to be an issue with a vehicle that looks like a billboard driving down the road. Just stay focused and ready to react when a gust hits, and keep your speed down a bit.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #13

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
High cross winds are always going to be an issue with a vehicle that looks like a billboard driving down the road. Just stay focused and ready to react when a gust hits, and keep your speed down a bit.
Very true. I formerly had a 41000 pound 41 foot DP with IFS, but because it presented such a huge surface to the wind, it was a nightmare to drive in heavy cross winds. My current Gemini, is much smaller, but also much lighter, so it too gets pushed around in the wind. This is just a fact of driving vehicles of this size.