Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau Super C Bunkhouse
State: Iowa
THOR #9451
Question Wind Noise

When traveling in my 2018 Thor Chateau Super C, I'm getting a lot of wind noise/whistling near the top of the cab. I've checked for leaks, but find none. Is there an air flow issue where the cab meets the bunk area. This recessed area seems to be where the noise is originating. Anyone have a similar issue and/or suggestions for a fix.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Are you feeling any wind coming in through a leak, or is it just the sound of air rushing around all of those unusual angles?
(Thinking that it might just be turbulence... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #3

Model: Chateau Super C Bunkhouse
State: Iowa
THOR #9451
Wind Noise

Thanks for the reply. I feel no air flow inside the cab. It seems to be an aerodynamic issue above and outside the windshield. I thought about wedging a "swimming noodle" in the area between the cab and the overhang. I think changing the depth of this area might help. Any thoughts?
Old 08-20-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I like your pool noodle Idea. Worth a try. PLus you can pick from all the neon colors to add some bling. LOL. If it works you can purchase the black pipe insulation from Home Depot so it dont stand out. Can yhou and tape/caulk in place?.

I think much of the noise on my Axis is from the Mirrors. I like to find some clear plastic wind deflector material that I can cut to fit from the window to the mirror (Elimate the gap from widow to the mirror and mirror arm but still see though it so no blind spot) to smooth out the air flow. I thought about testing my Idea by folding in the passenger side mirror (or just remove it for 10 mile interstate test) to see if this is the culprit.

Way too much wind noise IMO.

Post your results. Im sure many folks would be interested.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: the "Pool Noodle" is a nice, cheap experiment!
You might want to be cautious about trapping water or moisture up there... Keep an eye on what's going on under your noodle!
Old 08-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Digger...if you look around the base of where the cap sits on the truck roof you will find these strips of plastic/fiberglass (2" or so wide) that fill in the area cut out of the outer skin for the cab to sit down on. The sides run parallel with the top of door. There may be a gap where the ones on the sides meet the one that runs across the front (side to side). I actually heard a "popping" noise when a truck would pass or in higher and turbulent winds. The one on passenger side was a little loose. I used black silicon to fill in the "spaces" between the strips. I would bet a stale doughnut with a bite out of it against a hundred dollar bill that's where you're noise is coming from. There's not much else up there that would do it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #7

THOR #12231
I raise your stale donut with a bit out of it and see you with a burnt biscut that fell on the bathroom floor. LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 08-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #8

THOR #11130
I'll see your biscuit and call!!!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #9

THOR #12231
I have 4 Aces.....We are having way to much fun here. LOL.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #10

THOR #12231
Wait... this is one hand I DONT want to win. I have 2 of a kind. LOL.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #11

THOR #11130
I have a 3 and a joker with a corner torn off...you win...eat up!!!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #12

THOR #12231
LOL. We are getting sidetracked on the subject matter at hand. Hopefully your caulking trick will help him.

I wish thor designers / engineers would spend a little time in the RV they design so they can improve them from the drawing boad for the next generation RV's. So many improvements can me made for Zero dollars and twice as many for $100 - $200 more overall cost IMO.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #13

THOR #11130
Overall I'm really pleased with what I have...nothing major yet. The strips I mentioned to him are the only thing up there. I've owned several businesses and cannot imagine what Thor and the others must go through in order to find and keep reasonably qualified builders. Us owners should take over the factory for one month...what a difference it would make. There's no better critic than the end user of anything!!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Gritz,
That wasn't a Krspy Kreme donut; was it?
Old 08-21-2018, 01:36 AM   #15

THOR #11130
Too stale to tell. Had green dust on it.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:02 AM   #16

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
When traveling in my 2018 Thor Chateau Super C, I'm getting a lot of wind noise/whistling near the top of the cab. I've checked for leaks, but find none. Is there an air flow issue where the cab meets the bunk area. This recessed area seems to be where the noise is originating. Anyone have a similar issue and/or suggestions for a fix.
Have you considered installing in place a couple or few vortex generators?
You can buy thin alum or plastic "T" shape material and cut them about 2" wide, glue along the area you feel is causing the wind noise.
For this application, caulk or fast-weld will do the job.
I would caulk first to be happy with your test and more easy to remove if you do not help your issue.
To change things, you can trim the "T" section of the part that stands up and it will bring about change to shorten the part or cut at a slight angle.
It will also change if you install with a slight right or left angle when you glue each piece down.
You may have to experiment a little to get the results you want or need.
Vortex Gen's are installed along the top surface of "some" aircraft wings as well as along the top of the canopy to rip the smooth wind.
This in the wing area will help with lift and over the canopy break wind noise.

Just also keep in mind the A/C I'm thinking of is cutting wind around mach .85 - .95 but this works at the slower speed as well.
Again, just food for thought. It may solve your wind noise at 50 - 70 mph.
IF I can locate a photo I'll post it so you get a better idea of my ramblings.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:23 AM   #17

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I like your pool noodle Idea. Worth a try. PLus you can pick from all the neon colors to add some bling. LOL. If it works you can purchase the black pipe insulation from Home Depot so it dont stand out. Can yhou and tape/caulk in place?.

I think much of the noise on my Axis is from the Mirrors. I like to find some clear plastic wind deflector material that I can cut to fit from the window to the mirror (Elimate the gap from widow to the mirror and mirror arm but still see though it so no blind spot) to smooth out the air flow. I thought about testing my Idea by folding in the passenger side mirror (or just remove it for 10 mile interstate test) to see if this is the culprit.

Way too much wind noise IMO.

Post your results. Im sure many folks would be interested.
I have noticed that at 65 and above, the wind noise is very noticeable. It seems to me that it is coming from the mirrors as you say.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:52 AM   #18

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
Have you considered installing in place a couple or few vortex generators?
You can buy thin alum or plastic "T" shape material and cut them about 2" wide, glue along the area you feel is causing the wind noise.
For this application, caulk or fast-weld will do the job.
I would caulk first to be happy with your test and more easy to remove if you do not help your issue.
To change things, you can trim the "T" section of the part that stands up and it will bring about change to shorten the part or cut at a slight angle.
It will also change if you install with a slight right or left angle when you glue each piece down.
You may have to experiment a little to get the results you want or need.
Vortex Gen's are installed along the top surface of "some" aircraft wings as well as along the top of the canopy to rip the smooth wind.
This in the wing area will help with lift and over the canopy break wind noise.

Just also keep in mind the A/C I'm thinking of is cutting wind around mach .85 - .95 but this works at the slower speed as well.
Again, just food for thought. It may solve your wind noise at 50 - 70 mph.
IF I can locate a photo I'll post it so you get a better idea of my ramblings.
Better yet, I found an assortment of ready made vortex gens available at AMAZON. Ready made with adhesive in place. This is your best bet to go with. Since these are designed for cars etc... I would try this.

The units I installed on A/C wings and canopy's work on the same principle but... (GRIN) Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71YiUNFP9BL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	12360  
Old 08-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
This isn't a "fix", but I thought I'd throw an observation in here.

I know you guys (especially Gritz) love your Super C's, but after driving a bunch of different coaches, there's one undeniable difference between Super C's, C's and RUV's like the Axis and Vegas. Thor hit a home run in making the front of the Vegas and Axis smooth and quiet as far as wind noise. There is a huge difference in the wind noise generated by Class C's and the RUV's. There's simply no way you can get clean airflow around the front of the Class C design, there never has been.

I know this isn't really what the OP wants to hear, but MY observations have been this... If your Class C has wind noise, there's only so much you can do to quiet it down. If your Axis or Vegas has wind noise, there might be something wrong with it, like a loose windshield moulding or an actual air leak. I know after insulating the front cap of our Vegas, it is eerily quiet even up to 80mph. Even bone stock it was pretty darn quiet compared to a lot of other RV's.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #20

THOR #11130
Mine is whisper quiet...I think most everyone here with this same model would say the same. You hardly hear the engine, it's nice and cool in the cab and, while driving I can talk with the wife sitting at the dinette in normal conversation. Nothing is perfect and I would be the first to state an issue if I have/had one, but...you missed it on this post. You haven't hurt our feelings...you just got this one wrong. I'm glad you love what you purchased but I'd put money on this one...with a decibel meter inside. I didn't buy this from Carvana and have it delivered sight unseen...I drove dozens of them before writing the check. Have you actually driven a Super C?