Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3723
We experienced the same exact problem on our 2015 Axis 24.1.
Defrosters on full, and A/C running did not prevent the side windows from fogging up.
In the end I found that poor workmanship in the engine compartment was the cause.
Check the screws and brackets on both drivers side and passenger side in the engine compartment. A couple of the brackets were loose, and the foam seal broken.
Mounted and sealed the entire support inside the engine bay, and the problem went away. I used a combination of pressurized RTV, and foam sealant to get up there with one arm.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #22

State: California
THOR #7502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Atchley View Post
We experienced the same exact problem on our 2015 Axis 24.1.
Defrosters on full, and A/C running did not prevent the side windows from fogging up.
In the end I found that poor workmanship in the engine compartment was the cause.
Check the screws and brackets on both drivers side and passenger side in the engine compartment. A couple of the brackets were loose, and the foam seal broken.
Mounted and sealed the entire support inside the engine bay, and the problem went away. I used a combination of pressurized RTV, and foam sealant to get up there with one arm.
It's nice to know we are not alone! I will call the dealer...we can't take this on at the moment. And we shouldn't have to!
Also found we were given the wrong table...it won't fit the holes in the floor. A few other issues...so ..back to the dealer.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #23

THOR #7502
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunners View Post
It's nice to know we are not alone! I will call the dealer...we can't take this on at the moment. And we shouldn't have to!
Also found we were given the wrong table...it won't fit the holes in the floor. A few other issues...so ..back to the dealer.
We have an appointment with a local dealer who has proven to be helpful and knowledgeable in the past. It will be later in July...but we'll take it!
Old 08-21-2017, 04:03 AM   #24

THOR #7502
Window Defrost problems

We have our final answer for our side window defrost problem in our 2017 Thor Vegas 24.1. We had called our dealer for an appt back in June and got our vehicle back last week.

We've been told there is no provision at all for defrosting the side windows, so if you need to see your side mirrors when you are driving in the rain and your side windows are frosting up.....the official position is you need to open both the driver's and passenger windows.

So here we are driving along at night in the rain. It's misting and the side windows are fogging up. The solution...open both windows..the driver's side and the passengers side, and drive happily along with a nice breeze and rain coming in through the windows.

Maybe wear a raincoat and take towels to wipe the windows and yourself off. Or...pull over and wait till the weather clears. Not exactly what we were expecting when we bought this vehicle.

Oh...and any modifications will void the warranty.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #25

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Get some window cleaner made for bathroom mirrors, helps prevent the fogging from occurring. Keep a hand towel handy on both sides. Go to Amazon and buy a bottle of diving mask defogger, works great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	6446
Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #26

THOR #7502
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Get some window cleaner made for bathroom mirrors, helps prevent the fogging from occurring. Keep a hand towel handy on both sides. Go to Amazon and buy a bottle of diving mask defogger, works great.

Attachment 6446
Thanks SuperD...we'll try it.

Not too happy about having to physically wipe down the side windows when driving on the highway in the rain..especially at night. And..if there is no passenger, the driver wouldn't be able to see the side mirror he depends on out of the passenger's side window with no one to wipe down that window.

We think this is a design flaw that should be addressed by Thor.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #27

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Thanks for the seadrops idea had to wipe them down this morning while driving. Annoying.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Miramar 37.1 SOLD
State: Michigan
THOR #2972
2018 Miramar 37.1 defrosters

Did anyone ever figure this out, I see it is from 2017 but I am still having this issue and have had it happen many times going down the road at 70 MPH, it is very scary in the mountains with trucks going by very fast, the last time it happened was in Atlanta GA, about 5 weeks ago on the I75 Bypass with a major cold front going through Atlanta, I almost recked. I have file a complaint whit the NTSB and wonder if anyone else has. THOR says everything is right and up to the standards. This is a very bad problem.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #29

THOR #7502
Window defrost problem

We sold our almost new Vegas. That window defrost problem was one of the reasons. Thor and the dealers had no answer and denied everything. They considered us a nuisance. My husband is a mechanical engineer...he could not come up with anything that would not void the warranty....neither could the dealer...or Thor. We also almost had a major accident with a truck in the mountains We avoided it by inches. I sat in the passenger seat and kept wiping the passenger window which kept frosting up. Otherwise the driver could not see the passenger side mirror. It was as if we were driving blind. It is very dangerous...and I don't think the vehicle could be safely driven if there wasn't a passenger to keep wiping the passenger window. The driver has to keep wiping his window as well. We bought it new and it was to be our last Rv and we were looking forward to many more trips. Now we have given up on Rving. I don't know that we would ever trust a dealer or RV company again. It is a major design problem. It is interesting how Thor comes up with a redesign every year or so on these models.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #30

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckb View Post
Did anyone ever figure this out, I see it is from 2017 but I am still having this issue and have had it happen many times going down the road at 70 MPH, it is very scary in the mountains with trucks going by very fast, the last time it happened was in Atlanta GA, about 5 weeks ago on the I75 Bypass with a major cold front going through Atlanta, I almost recked. I have file a complaint whit the NTSB and wonder if anyone else has. THOR says everything is right and up to the standards. This is a very bad problem.

We did have this same problem and our fix was to buy 2-12 volt fans that we mounted to the upper plenum/board near the top of the windshield. These can be wired to a fan switch which I put in the dash area. When things sytart fogging up we turn on and can adjust the direction from side windows to windshield. A bonus is they can also be aimed to the rear of coach for circulation when necessary. This has worked very well in what was in the past a dicey situation but is now just something that we regularly do.