Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #7502
Window defrost problem

We have a 2017 Thor Vegas 24.1 Motorhome which we bought last December.
This is our 3rd RV in almost 20 years of RV'ing so we are not newbies. It has been quite a learning curve to get used to this new vehicle, but gradually we are adjusting.

Driving home at night from our last trip, it was raining and misting and the windows fogged up so much that the driver could not see the side mirrors at all. Had to rely on the backup camera which does not read as clearly when it is raining we have found.

The defroster only takes care of the central portion of the huge windscreen, let alone the side windows. We almost collided with a semi that was moving over from a side lane. Missed him by inches.

Our local dealer told us to buy small fans and we have done that but there is nowhere to plug them in on both sides. We are at a loss. Has anyone else encountered this particular problem? Thanks!

Old 06-04-2017, 08:59 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunners View Post
We have a 2017 Thor Vegas 24.1 Motorhome which we bought last December.
This is our 3rd RV in almost 20 years of RV'ing so we are not newbies. It has been quite a learning curve to get used to this new vehicle, but gradually we are adjusting.

Driving home at night from our last trip, it was raining and misting and the windows fogged up so much that the driver could not see the side mirrors at all. Had to rely on the backup camera which does not read as clearly when it is raining we have found.

The defroster only takes care of the central portion of the huge windscreen, let alone the side windows. We almost collided with a semi that was moving over from a side lane. Missed him by inches.

Our local dealer told us to buy small fans and we have done that but there is nowhere to plug them in on both sides. We are at a loss. Has anyone else encountered this particular problem? Thanks!
We recently had a very scary moment when the conditions were similar to the ones you described, I turned on the defrost and the windshield immediately fogged to the point I couldn't see at all (we were on the highway).
I found that if the A/C button was on while using the defroster the fogging didn't occur and the windshield clears very well. Also if you haven't discovered yet, the vents can be turned to blow air on different parts of the windshield, I directed the vents so that the entire windshield would be covered and we didn't have any problems even in a pretty severe snow storm in Bryce Canyon Utah.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:59 PM   #3

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Georgia
THOR #7779
I am thinking about an ACE 29.3 . I have read some of the reviews and they scared the wax out of me . Is there anyone that has good things to say ?
Old 06-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #4

THOR #7502
Thank you upnyfolks! I have printed this out...we'll have to wait for a rainy day and try it here before setting out on a trip in the Fall. Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:21 PM   #5

Model: Ace 29.2
THOR #6481
Is there air coming out all of the defrost vents
Old 06-04-2017, 11:58 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Defrost if the OAT is above freezing, should also turn on your AC compressor, for moisture removal. Just to be sure, you should manually start the AC compressor, then mix heat in as necessary with your controls.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:08 AM   #7

THOR #7502
Quote:
Originally Posted by churd9 View Post
Is there air coming out all of the defrost vents
Thanks Churd! I am pretty sure there is but we will have to check.

I didn't emphasize that it really is the SIDE WINDOWS we are most concerned about...when they are fogged up the driver can't see the SIDE MIRRORS. How do we defrost the SIDE WINDOWS?
Old 06-05-2017, 02:21 AM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:

I didn't emphasize that it really is the SIDE WINDOWS we are most concerned about...when they are fogged up the driver can't see the SIDE MIRRORS. How do we defrost the SIDE WINDOWS?
The Hurricane comes with 2 aux fans near the upper windshield that can be directed toward windshield, side windows, etc... They definitely help with keeping things clear.

There should be air from the defroster that points to side windows - but adding fans will certainly increase the flow.

Can't help with where to plug them in as mine were pre-wired to switches on the dash.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:49 AM   #9

THOR #7502
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
The Hurricane comes with 2 aux fans near the upper windshield that can be directed toward windshield, side windows, etc... They definitely help with keeping things clear.

There should be air from the defroster that points to side windows - but adding fans will certainly increase the flow.

Can't help with where to plug them in as mine were pre-wired to switches on the dash.
Thanks All for the replies. We'll read them all carefully. They are appreciated!

We looked at our Vegas just now and just as has been suggested, the vents can be turned towards the sides of the front windshield, which should take care of defrosting that. BUT ... there are no vents that would reach the side windows to defrost them so the side mirrors could be clearly seen by the driver during a rainstorm.

gmc...there is no prewiring for defrost fans for the side windows in our Vegas....unlike your Hurricane. The Vegas seems to be a completely different animal from standard Class A's and C's in several ways.

We had bought two small battery operated defrosters (they work something like hairdryers) and are thinking of wiring them into the inverter we had professionally added (along with batteries and solar for dry camping). We haven't figured it all out yet, and we're hoping there is a simpler solution. We are also wondering if doing that would affect the warranty.

We're hoping other Vegas and Axis owners have come up with a solution that isn't too complicated. This is a safety issue and we can't be the only ones having this problem.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #10

THOR #6481
Make sure you are running the ac that's what actually defrosts the windows you may have to turn up the heat if it gets to cold also if it is raining outside turn it on max so that it polls all the air from the inside of the coach
I had trouble with my ace when I first got it the ac did not blow a lot of air from the vents. On our first trip the blower started to make noise,when we got home I pulled it apart to replace the blower motor. What I found if that Thor had done a poor job of running the hoses to the vents.on my unit there was 5 outlets in the air handler to use to plum to the dash vents. Thor only used three . They put a t in the drivers and center vents .they also did not take the time to cut the vent hoses to the correct Leigh and just crammed the extra hose under the dash . I replumed all the hoses removing the t,s and now on the lowest setting I get more air from the vents that I did on high before
Old 06-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #11

THOR #6481
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B89DBDC-1CDD-4949-8DFC-DCBBEAAFEE35.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	5171
Old 06-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #12

THOR #6481

Name:	55DAF930-DDB1-4DC6-ABB0-B98AD6B13D5E.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	5172
Old 06-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #13

THOR #6481
If you look on the left there is a t in the hose going to the vent....it's a piece of pvc plumbing
Old 06-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
roadrunners is correct: There really isn't a vent or system in the Axis/Vegas units provided to defrost the side windows. In addition, the vents provided for the front window are all concentrated on the center of the front windshield such that even turning the outside ones to aim at the side windows provides little, if any, affect.

We really haven't driven in such conditions: We have been stuck in really nasty downpours but the temps were warm enough that we didn't experience any fogging issues.

It probably would be pretty easy to rig up a couple fans on either side to blow some air at the windows including a switch on the dash, or on the side by the mirror switch.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #15

THOR #1249
Quote:

Speaking of side windows; it is difficult to see the mirrors at night due to the glare on the side windows. I have a piece of black foam board that I use when backing up at night. For defrosting, I keep a small towel on drivers and passenger side.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #16

THOR #7502
Quote:
Make sure you are running the ac that's what actually defrosts the windows you may have to turn up the heat if it gets to cold also if it is raining outside turn it on max so that it polls all the air from the inside of the coach
I had trouble with my ace when I first got it the ac did not blow a lot of air from the vents. On our first trip the blower started to make noise,when we got home I pulled it apart to replace the blower motor. What I found if that Thor had done a poor job of running the hoses to the vents.on my unit there was 5 outlets in the air handler to use to plum to the dash vents. Thor only used three . They put a t in the drivers and center vents .they also did not take the time to cut the vent hoses to the correct Leigh and just crammed the extra hose under the dash . I replumed all the hoses removing the t,s and now on the lowest setting I get more air from the vents that I did on high before
Churd9...Thank you so much for the advice and especially the photos in your posts.

We were hoping for a relatively trouble free experience when we bought this new unit. Since we were very familiar with good old Class C's, it would probably have been easier for us to stick with the tried and true.

We are in the middle of a remodel of our house, so it will take a bit to get to this...but thanks again!
Old 06-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #17

THOR #7502
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Speaking of side windows; it is difficult to see the mirrors at night due to the glare on the side windows. I have a piece of black foam board that I use when backing up at night. For defrosting, I keep a small towel on drivers and passenger side.
Wow! That does seem a bit primitive ....and not too easy for the driver...especially if he's driving solo!
Old 06-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #18

THOR #1249
Yeah, that would be a tough one without a passenger. Wish there was a cure for the glare. I would guess that is why most car side windows have a curve in them to eliminate glare.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #19

THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Yeah, that would be a tough one without a passenger. Wish there was a cure for the glare. I would guess that is why most car side windows have a curve in them to eliminate glare.

The mirror s convex to give a wide angle of view
Old 06-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #20

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #5927
Quote:
It is appropriate time for this thread as I was just researching a dash vent issue myself!

I found that the passenger vent closest to the wall wasn't pushing out any air. I pulled out the table insert and found out they didn't connect the hose for that vent to the plenum. There is a hole in the plenum that it should have been connected to. All of the air that should have been going out through the hole. What it looks like is that the installer made the hose a little too short, said he'd come back to fix it, and then forgot about it.

I talked to Thor, and they said I needed to take it in to a dealership to get it fixed under warranty and that I should just tape up the hole for the time being.

Did you have to buy any connectors to attach the ventilation hose to the plenum, or were there already connectors there? I'm looking for those connectors on line, but I can't find them. If all I need is a connector and a little more hose, I'll just fix my issue rather than spending all of the time to deal with a service center.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	5178