Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2022, 03:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
windshield fogging and kitty litter

Well we will try this on our next winter trip..

If you fill a sock with kitty litter and keep it on your dashboard, it will keep your windshield from fogging up.

Yes, really.

https://standardnews.com/car-hacks/29/

Old 03-05-2022, 03:47 AM   #2

THOR #20220
If you want to keep your windshield from icing over at night, fill a spray bottle with three parts vinegar and one part water. Spray the mixture evenly on your car window, and acid in the vinegar will prevent freezing.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:09 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
we sit a small cube ceramic heater on the drivers side dash aimed in a general way towards the windshield , then lower the sun shade and let the warm air fill the space, window stays clear, and no moisture builds up over night

does not take much. low fan and low heat.

we no have a kitty
Old 07-30-2022, 09:53 PM   #4

Model: Quantum WS31
State: Washington
THOR #27401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Well we will try this on our next winter trip..

If you fill a sock with kitty litter and keep it on your dashboard, it will keep your windshield from fogging up.

Yes, really.

https://standardnews.com/car-hacks/29/

Use activated charcoal - it's reusable & renewable! Put in sun to "recharge" monthly. Bonus: It absorbs odors as well! (Learned this while battling cancer and sensitive to smells!)

Here's where I got mine:

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=charcoal+air+cleaner+bags&crid=3HH8S84MM4VZ&sp refix=Charcoal+air+cleaner%2Caps%2C171&ref=nb_sb_s s_ts-doa-p_2_20 (if you don't use smile - you should!)
Old 07-30-2022, 09:58 PM   #5

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey59 View Post
Use activated charcoal - it's reusable & renewable! Put in sun to "recharge" monthly. Bonus: It absorbs odors as well! (Learned this while battling cancer and sensitive to smells!)

Here's where I got mine:

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=charcoal+air+cleaner+bags&crid=3HH8S84MM4VZ&sp refix=Charcoal+air+cleaner%2Caps%2C171&ref=nb_sb_s s_ts-doa-p_2_20 (if you don't use smile - you should!)

Thanks great information
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
All great ideas, any one have ideas for fogging up when driving, last year I was going north out of Florida with warm light rain and went into Georgia about 1:30am and started raining again but was a colder rain, about 20 seconds my front windshield completely fogged over in downtown Atlanta running 70mph and couldn’t see anything, being a class a Rv could not reach the windshield to wipe at it, luckily I hit my 4 ways and started slowing down and got my right front tire on the rumble strip till I slowed to 30mph and hit the shoulder and slammed on the brakes, got out and looked down the shoulder luckily nothing was ahead of me, took about 15 min of defrost on high to clear the fog off.
Never want to do that again
Old 08-02-2022, 07:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
All great ideas, any one have ideas for fogging up when driving, last year I was going north out of Florida with warm light rain and went into Georgia about 1:30am and started raining again but was a colder rain, about 20 seconds my front windshield completely fogged over in downtown Atlanta running 70mph and couldn’t see anything, being a class a Rv could not reach the windshield to wipe at it, luckily I hit my 4 ways and started slowing down and got my right front tire on the rumble strip till I slowed to 30mph and hit the shoulder and slammed on the brakes, got out and looked down the shoulder luckily nothing was ahead of me, took about 15 min of defrost on high to clear the fog off.
Never want to do that again
Don’t you have the windshield defogging fans in your class a? They are used for those types of situations.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:11 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Don’t you have the windshield defogging fans in your class a? They are used for those types of situations.
Heat to the windshield and running the defroster fans will soon defrost the windshield. If it gets to humid inside run both roof A/Cs.

My pre-travel checklist. Adjust the fans when you check the position of the outside mirrors. Plan ahead and leave at least one A/C on high and leave the generator off. If the windshield starts to fog, start the generator from the dash, turn the dash to defrost plus heat and turn the defroster fans on low. Turn the mirror heat on if the outside mirrors start to fog. They have a thermostat set at 120 degrees so the moisture will soon leave the mirrors
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:42 PM   #9

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Back when I was younger, any time my windshield fogged up the police seemed to magically appear and ask us to move or say "Get a hotel room". To be young again like Scuba...
Old 08-04-2022, 05:48 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Yes I do but they won’t spin around to point at the windshield, and with the mh being a pusher it takes awhile for warm air to make it up front