Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2021, 04:20 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32a
State: Washington
THOR #18907
Last summer, traveling across the high desert of Oregon, we experienced 30-40mph gusts and when coming from the side, they tried to unwrap our slide awning on the driver side, causing it to unroll about 3" and recoil and slam back against the camper. It created a huge banging sound. I pulled over, realized the problem and continued on, holding on tight and dreading every "bang" that hit the side. We eventually got into some forest cover and all was good.
Rod

Old 11-10-2021, 05:07 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
In my opinion 15 MPH wind is very common in many areas. I would never want to own any vehicle I could not drive comfortably in those conditions, regardless of wind direction.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:16 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I tow and drive 62-65 under best conditions. When it is windy, or not a 4 lane road, 55 to 60, high winds down to 50 mph. There are wind bursts out there, you can't see them, they just wack you broadside. I have most the same mods as the OP, they help in normal conditions. Seat time and a flexible schedule so you are not driving on windy days is helpful also..
Old 11-13-2021, 07:19 PM   #24

THOR #20920
Hellwig Sway Bars, front and rear, and Timbren spring assists (front and rear) took care of my sway issues.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:38 PM   #25

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkayers View Post
Hey folks, first time class a owner here & need a little help. I have a 2014 Thor Challenger 37LX with the F53 chassis. Bought it in Pennsylvania & drove it back to Michigan with no issues other than the sway from passing trucks etc. Here’s what I’ve done so far: Safe-T-Plus on the front, SuperSteer rear Trac Bar, CHF on both front and rear.
I haven’t done an alignment yet because it seems to drive just fine in the few 100 mile trips or so we’ve driven. Have to admit we haven’t weighed it yet either but we don’t carry a ton of gear. Tires are set at 85 PSI.
Anyway, took our first long trip to Martinsville, VA for the race & ran into some crosswinds that from what I’ve seen by searching the sites weren’t really anything, 10-15mph. This thing was getting blown all over horribly. I couldn’t believe it. It almost felt like I lost “feel” in the front end too. Everything feels solid in the front end, nothing seems bent (from what I can see). I know it’s a lot of surface area but I couldn’t imagine driving it in the winds I read people talking about on these sites. Is it just seat time? Is that normal? It still has the stock front sway bar on it, is upgrading that really going to help this? Windy conditions are horrible but passing semi’s really aren’t an issue now. Kinda weird. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help
Drive a class C with the 450 chassis and you'll think your class A is a sports car
Old 11-13-2021, 07:52 PM   #26

State: Florida
THOR #21081
I have a 2020 Marimar 35.2 and installed roadmaster front and rear sway bar which improved sway considerably. I no longer get pushed around on the highway and cured the lean problem. I also installed the steering stabilizer and front and rear Sumo shocks. If you have the money the liquid springs is the way to go but very expensive. The F53 chassis is terrible without every suspension upgrade you can afford but hands down the sway bars were my best improvement.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:50 PM   #27

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Michigan
THOR #23904
Weighed it Thursday night and everything seemed right. Tire pressures according to charts and all. Still felt really like it was skating in the front. Like less tire contact. Never felt like that until this last trip. I'll have to get the alignment checked & have them look at stuff underneath. I checked & nothing seemed off. Jacked up the front end & no odd movement in the tires etc.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:17 PM   #28

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Weighed it Thursday night and everything seemed right. Tire pressures according to charts and all. Still felt really like it was skating in the front. Like less tire contact. Never felt like that until this last trip. I'll have to get the alignment checked & have them look at stuff underneath. I checked & nothing seemed off. Jacked up the front end & no odd movement in the tires etc.
Might have a tread separation, have them check the tires maybe rotate them
Old 11-13-2021, 09:45 PM   #29

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Wind Steering

Biggest thing about wind is the oversteering it causes. It takes some time to get used to a new rig and lighter rigs get pushed around by the wind more than most. An alignment is always a good idea.(tires are expensive) While getting the alignment the truck shop will check out your steering and undercarriage thoroughly in hopes of selling you some beefier gear. Its a little easier after you learn not to freak out in high winds and steer in a relaxed mode. The heavier you can load up the better it is in windy conditions. My rig is hardly effected by wind but then it weighs about 37,000 pounds loaded. Hardly even notice when semi's pass because my chassis is a Freightliner to.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:28 PM   #30

State: Michigan
THOR #4885
I have a 2016 Thor Hurricane. I bought it new. It steered horribly when I got it. After 4 years I took it in for other repairs and when he drove it he said it saw the worst he has ever driven. How was I support to know? When he fixed it it steered great.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:26 AM   #31

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
To the OP.....you are not whimpsy. I takes some time to get used to driving a Class A.

You have added some suspension improvement which help. I probably get flamed now but I don't believe in the CHF......it is just that.....CHEAP and you still have the same undersized sway bars just , they just apply resistance a little quicker.

I added front and rear Roadmaster sway bars (and a Roadmaster Reflex steering damper) and our ACE drives down the road very stable for what it is, much better than stock or our previous Sprinter Class C.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:42 AM   #32

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Virginia
THOR #25276
This weekend we took our first trip in our ‘22 Windsport 29m. Loved the room and the features … headed from Suffolk, VA to Ferrum, VA, about 200 miles each way. Hated handling on two lane country roads with wind! Or without wind! This thing doesn’t want to go straight and if the road has a decent crown watch out! On four lane roads, and flatter high speed roads not as bad…. It still didn’t like going over 60. But, when an 18 wheeler comes up behind you, it’s sweat on the brow time. The rear end kicks right and I’m saying a little prayer.

I’ve read a lot of writing on this forum and I am all in on suspension and steering upgrades. We really want this unit to perform as best it can so we can enjoy it. Who is best to do these improvements ? Not a dealer, right? Would they be done by a good truck/tire shop? Anyone in eastern VA or NC recommended?
'21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Sky One Touch, 3.6L, 2.5” lift, Demco Brakes, Blue Ox A2.
Rclbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:55 AM   #33

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclbud View Post
...........................Who is best to do these improvements ? Not a dealer, right? Would they be done by a good truck/tire shop? Anyone in eastern VA or NC recommended?
Do it yourself and save a lot of money. It is very easy to do with just some hand tools. if you go to etrailer.com you can look up the suspension parts for your motorhome and in most cases they have an installation video for you to watch.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:19 AM   #34

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
Do it yourself and save a lot of money. It is very easy to do with just some hand tools. if you go to etrailer.com you can look up the suspension parts for your motorhome and in most cases they have an installation video for you to watch.
Agree with this. A rear track bar stopped almost all of the semi push I was getting on my 29m
Do the chf or pay for upgraded anti sway bars

Also get a front end alignment and check tire pressure

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:18 PM   #35

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
This weekend we took our first trip in our ‘22 Windsport 29m. Loved the room and the features … headed from Suffolk, VA to Ferrum, VA, about 200 miles each way. Hated handling on two lane country roads with wind! Or without wind! This thing doesn’t want to go straight and if the road has a decent crown watch out! On four lane roads, and flatter high speed roads not as bad…. It still didn’t like going over 60. But, when an 18 wheeler comes up behind you, it’s sweat on the brow time. The rear end kicks right and I’m saying a little prayer.

https://ellerdiesel.com/

I’ve read a lot of writing on this forum and I am all in on suspension and steering upgrades. We really want this unit to perform as best it can so we can enjoy it. Who is best to do these improvements ? Not a dealer, right? Would they be done by a good truck/tire shop? Anyone in eastern VA or NC recommended?
Eller truck & diesel in Salisbury NC. Ford will tell you it was aligned when delivered to Thor. Thor will tell you it was aligned when left Thor. All BS! Go to a good truck shop, get it aligned. Balance the front wheels. You’ll be glad you spent the $200.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:04 PM   #36

State: North Carolina
THOR #16750
Quote:
Hey folks, first time class a owner here & need a little help. I have a 2014 Thor Challenger 37LX with the F53 chassis. Bought it in Pennsylvania & drove it back to Michigan with no issues other than the sway from passing trucks etc. Here’s what I’ve done so far: Safe-T-Plus on the front, SuperSteer rear Trac Bar, CHF on both front and rear.
I haven’t done an alignment yet because it seems to drive just fine in the few 100 mile trips or so we’ve driven. Have to admit we haven’t weighed it yet either but we don’t carry a ton of gear. Tires are set at 85 PSI.
Anyway, took our first long trip to Martinsville, VA for the race & ran into some crosswinds that from what I’ve seen by searching the sites weren’t really anything, 10-15mph. This thing was getting blown all over horribly. I couldn’t believe it. It almost felt like I lost “feel” in the front end too. Everything feels solid in the front end, nothing seems bent (from what I can see). I know it’s a lot of surface area but I couldn’t imagine driving it in the winds I read people talking about on these sites. Is it just seat time? Is that normal? It still has the stock front sway bar on it, is upgrading that really going to help this? Windy conditions are horrible but passing semi’s really aren’t an issue now. Kinda weird. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help
I have a Thor four winds, did the same thing, even passing trucks would push it over. Installed road master sway bars that are bigger than stock. New shocks. This was like night and day change. It took about 90% of the sway out completely.
In heavy winds you still have to slow down, but the ride is solid. Best thing I’ve ever did.
CB
Old 11-14-2021, 02:09 PM   #37

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:

My dealer (In Florida) offered to install for free the Safe T Plus if I bought before I took it home (Dallas), but required us spending an extra day, I had heard how easy it was; so I decided I would do myself later.

I had exact road experience you described on 14 hour drive home. When I got home to take a look and try; the bolts under chassis were so rusted, I could not get the U bolts off to mount my new mounting bracket on. I tried every penetrating liquid money could buy. Unless you are a mechanic ( I am not) and you know your skills sets this was a PITA. So I eventually took it to a Ford Commercial Truck Center ( Irving, Texas) thinking why play around with it any more. They not only could not get it off, they wanted something like $400 to have custom made U bolts made because they acknowledged that the force required to remove may break and the replacement U Bolts was not a Ford stocked part. They wanted to order the custom made parts as backup just in case it broke; so theoretically I would not be stranded for a week or so. In disbelief, I called Safe T Plus in Atlanta direct; and they were equally stunned. They talked with the Ford Commercial Truck Service Manager and it did not go well, Safe T Plus gave me the name of a local Spring Shop, but Ford charged me $150 to get the RV back (minimum charge) So I go to the Spring shop and they removed the bolts and added the new mount in 30 minutes, only charged $75. I take it home and I mount the bar myself. It wasn't all that bad, but it took me 5 times readjusting to get it perfectly (about 2 hours including the test driving to validate) aligned where I could drive down a local street and let the steering wheel go. It worked like a champ and immediately fixed that drift. In hindsight, I should have waited the extra day in Florida, or took it by the Safe T Plus site in Atlanta because they also install them for free. At the end of the day, I paid $225 more than I wanted, but it is actually worth $1,000s for me in value.

I am in minority and may get blasted, but I did not do the CHF. I have seen lots of compelling reasons and evidence why one could do so, but I never could get Ford or my RV Mfg to recommend I do. The way they reacted and dodged the question told me all I needed to know. Oddly they did recommend the Safe T Plus; and the Sumo Springs which I would do about a year after the Safe T Plus install. I ordered the Sumo Springs off ebay and called Sumo Springs to get a local service dealer to install the front & rear, they charged $500 which I thought was a good price. However the Sumo Springs are very very expensive even on ebay
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #38

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
The majority of these motorhomes are built on a Ford chassis of one type or another & after driving Ford pickups from 150s to 750s at work for 30+ years they are not bought for their handling & ride quality.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #39

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Virginia
THOR #25276
Appreciate all the input. New to having a small A.
'21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Sky One Touch, 3.6L, 2.5” lift, Demco Brakes, Blue Ox A2.
Rclbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:17 AM   #40
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Load it up as to take a long trip and have it weighed. Adjust the tire pressure according to the weight/pressure tables of your tire manufacture and add ten psi. You do not know if one side weighs more then the other until you get it four point weighed. Then with all loaded and the tires aired up, get it a front end alignment. You will notice the difference. If you still notice getting pushed around by the wind, slow down. The slower you go the easier it is to control it. Safety first. If you are below 55mph put your blinkers on and be safe. Get off the interstate and go via the US highway roads. Slower, but more enjoyable and interesting.