Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2021, 02:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Michigan
THOR #23904
Windy driving, am I just a wimp??

Hey folks, first time class a owner here & need a little help. I have a 2014 Thor Challenger 37LX with the F53 chassis. Bought it in Pennsylvania & drove it back to Michigan with no issues other than the sway from passing trucks etc. Here’s what I’ve done so far: Safe-T-Plus on the front, SuperSteer rear Trac Bar, CHF on both front and rear.
I haven’t done an alignment yet because it seems to drive just fine in the few 100 mile trips or so we’ve driven. Have to admit we haven’t weighed it yet either but we don’t carry a ton of gear. Tires are set at 85 PSI.
Anyway, took our first long trip to Martinsville, VA for the race & ran into some crosswinds that from what I’ve seen by searching the sites weren’t really anything, 10-15mph. This thing was getting blown all over horribly. I couldn’t believe it. It almost felt like I lost “feel” in the front end too. Everything feels solid in the front end, nothing seems bent (from what I can see). I know it’s a lot of surface area but I couldn’t imagine driving it in the winds I read people talking about on these sites. Is it just seat time? Is that normal? It still has the stock front sway bar on it, is upgrading that really going to help this? Windy conditions are horrible but passing semi’s really aren’t an issue now. Kinda weird. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help

Old 11-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I think it's just seat time. It's not the wind so much as the gusts and change in velocity due to the terrain. When you're traveling a highway that's sheltered by trees and then hit a pasture you're gonna get pushed. I don't know that there's any "cure" for driving a sail in gusting wind conditions. The larger the rear overhang, the worse it seems to be.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #3

Model: Quantum rw28
State: Louisiana
THOR #22150
Our Thor Quantum rw28 class C has the same issue. Basically you are a large sail so it doesn't take much of a cross wind to push it around. Ours is a Ford E450 chassis. I have found that larger Fords feel light in the front and once you load the cargo , which happens to be in the rear, the front end feels like the wheels are barely touching the road. I have read both pro's and con's about installing stabilizers. I believe it's something that you just have to get used to. Happy motoring and enjoy the trips. Keep both hands on the wheel.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:28 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It never hurts to slow down a little bit...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Alignment and weight. Until then you don’t know what you are dealing with. I had a 37ND and after alignment and setting tire pressure based on weight it needed nothing and handled just fine. As a note, there is no vehicle on the road that will not feel some effects from a 15 mph crosswind.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I think it's just seat time. It's not the wind so much as the gusts and change in velocity due to the terrain. When you're traveling a highway that's sheltered by trees and then hit a pasture you're gonna get pushed. I don't know that there's any "cure" for driving a sail in gusting wind conditions. The larger the rear overhang, the worse it seems to be.
100% agree. There is only so much you can throw at "fixes" for this. IMO, the best fix/cure is seat time... and with that experience you will come to realize when it's time to pull into a rest area and take a break.

Driving in windy conditions is both physically AND mentally exhausting. Realizing this and knowing your limits is the best solution!
Old 11-08-2021, 11:33 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #23904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Oh believe me, I slowed down lol
Old 11-08-2021, 11:52 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have a Miramar equipped like yours with the Safe-t-Plus and large rear sway bar. I had my rear duals at 92 and front at 85.

With little wind or wind from the rear I pretty much drive the speef limit with my Jeep in tow. When crosswind winds are 15 mph I drop my speed 5 mph and continue to drop until comfortable... As much as 10 mph.

Nothing beats experience. As you learn to recognize landscape issues you can easily anticipate gusts, which are the most unnerving.

I've driven with 15 to 25 mph winds with higher gusts. Much more than that, I park it or get off the elevated highway and take roads less traveled.

I have had my wife following me and commented how little the wind was bothering me, when I felt it was blowing me all over. Although you can feel it in the driver's seat, it may not be as bad as you feel.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:27 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Not a wimp...

I'd rather be an alive wimp than a dead..oh whatever.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:19 AM   #10

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I actually find it more dangerous for me to drive slower... Hear me out

The issue of driving the RV being pushed by trucks coming from the rear is a safety risk in my mind. They just kind of sneak up on you and I can feel them; when they impede my draft. I am a lot a better at handling it; but if you drive slower, you will get passed a lot; which for me is more dangerous. I tend to drive about 2 - 3 miles/hr faster than the 18 wheelers; so I am the one overtaking and I am in firm control of the wheel when passing.

But since you have brought it up, on my next trip; I will try to slow it down to 75 or so; to see how it goes
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:23 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I actually find it more dangerous for me to drive slower... Hear me out

The issue of driving the RV being pushed by trucks coming from the rear is a safety risk in my mind. They just kind of sneak up on you and I can feel them; when they impede my draft. I am a lot a better at handling it; but if you drive slower, you will get passed a lot; which for me is more dangerous. I tend to drive about 2 - 3 miles/hr faster than the 18 wheelers; so I am the one overtaking and I am in firm control of the wheel when passing.

But since you have brought it up, on my next trip; I will try to slow it down to 75 or so; to see how it goes
I usually drive about 1-2 mph slower than ambient traffic. This way I can use cruise control without having to turn it off as much when we approach slower traffic.

I usually notice semis approaching in the rear view mirror and prepare...not really that much of a deal (also towing a car tends to really stabilize the Axis).
Old 11-09-2021, 02:37 AM   #12

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I usually drive about 1-2 mph slower than ambient traffic. This way I can use cruise control without having to turn it off as much when we approach slower traffic.

I usually notice semis approaching in the rear view mirror and prepare...not really that much of a deal (also towing a car tends to really stabilize the Axis).
I love cruise control, but my experience when I try to be a reasonable good driving steward; It seems everyone wishes to pass me, pull over real fast almost swiping the front left of my RV if I a on cruise, and when they do get in front of me, they seem to slow down forcing me to hit the brakes and/or getting wedged with all of the other cars passing me now.

I don't tow, so I am lighter and can stay ahead of the truckers. I don't have a rear view mirror unless you are referring to side mirrors? Yes when I know they coming I get firm with the wheel. I also do the same thing when I know winds are gusting at 15 mphs or higher or if I feel a strong random gust.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:50 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Just straddle the line between lanes. That will teach those truckers to slow down... If they do pass you, grip the wheel until your knuckles turn white and yell: "OMG - we're all gonna die!"

Can't be any worse than texting while driving.

... Seriously though - everyone be safe out there!
Old 11-09-2021, 07:48 AM   #14

State: Washington
THOR #6433
You are going to get pushed around no matter what you do. The overhang doesn’t help. Or 32ft class c is the same way. When we were driving through Wyoming Montana a few weeks ago we had sustained winds of 20 mile an hour and gust of 35-40. The biggest thing is if you don’t feel comfortable pull over and wait it out if you can. Just remember to park facing the wind. One trick that helps me if you are driving at night is to use a compass. If you know what direction the wind is coming from and compare to your compass it helps you be more aware. For anyone that’s ever driven at night through Wyoming or Montana it can be a little disorientating so I find the compass helps.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:28 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I love cruise control, but my experience when I try to be a reasonable good driving steward; It seems everyone wishes to pass me, pull over real fast almost swiping the front left of my RV if I a on cruise, and when they do get in front of me, they seem to slow down forcing me to hit the brakes and/or getting wedged with all of the other cars passing me now.

I don't tow, so I am lighter and can stay ahead of the truckers. I don't have a rear view mirror unless you are referring to side mirrors? Yes when I know they coming I get firm with the wheel. I also do the same thing when I know winds are gusting at 15 mphs or higher or if I feel a strong random gust.
Ah yeah your Sunstar is a tad bit bigger than our Axis.

Yeah I meant side view mirrors.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #21557
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
(also towing a car tends to really stabilize the Axis).
TOAD or dolly?
Galatians 2:20 (KJV) I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Gobears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobears View Post
TOAD or dolly?
I would imagine it doesn't matter as its just the weight being pulled.

I dolly tow, however, so I can't speak of anyone's experience flat towing behind an Axis/Vegas.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:15 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
You are going to get pushed around no matter what you do. The overhang doesn’t help. Or 32ft class c is the same way. When we were driving through Wyoming Montana a few weeks ago we had sustained winds of 20 mile an hour and gust of 35-40. The biggest thing is if you don’t feel comfortable pull over and wait it out if you can. Just remember to park facing the wind. One trick that helps me if you are driving at night is to use a compass. If you know what direction the wind is coming from and compare to your compass it helps you be more aware. For anyone that’s ever driven at night through Wyoming or Montana it can be a little disorientating so I find the compass helps.

Love the comments. I can't get white knuckles but wife does
We live in montana. Worst wind ever.
No chassis modifications.
In wind we slow down.
45 to 50 right lane works 100%

Stay safe my friends.
We are in Maui and kauai and will be on the road in November.
1st winter in MH
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:44 AM   #19

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Love the comments. I can't get white knuckles but wife does
We live in montana. Worst wind ever.
No chassis modifications.
In wind we slow down.
45 to 50 right lane works 100%

Stay safe my friends.
We are in Maui and kauai and will be on the road in November.
1st winter in MH
Enjoy Maui, because it’s cold up here. You are right about the slowing down. There was a good stretch that I was only going 40 maybe 45. Problem was I had to get as far as I could because it was going to be worse the next day. I really don’t think I have ever driven through Montana and not had a windy day.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:20 AM   #20

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Towing the 4300 lb Cherokee seems to keep the rear end somewhat inline in a crosswind though trucks still push us when they pass. And I gotta agree the Dakotas, Wyoming and Montana prairies can be a bear with unrelenting wind.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote