Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2022, 03:33 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
What it was
What it is
What it will be.

Sation of seeds of magic to sate the dim and the hopeful and the excitable for excite's sake.
The crop is fruiting and the fruit smells of 70% range reduction.

We counted chickens before they hatched.
The hatch was 30%
Set your future plans and hopes and excitement back by 70%.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:33 PM   #62

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Confirming source of Winnebago Transit upgrade to electric was not from Ford, but Lightning eMotors. Not sure if that was covered already.

https://rvbusiness.com/lightning-emo...rain-for-e-rv/

The Ford OEM Transit would be my preferred chassis platform for such a prototype, but range will be an issue regardless for time being. A mid-roof 6-meter (standard length ~ 20 feet) Transit loaded with batteries from Ford may not be that far off for some that camp/travel near their homes and will use it daily as a second car.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:45 PM   #63

THOR #13932
I now learned the new lucid has a 50mile+- drain per day to keep the system running.
Do you guys with electrics have a daily drain?

And many of you run the generator for the ac for the dog while you're shopping. We do it for us, no dog, no reason to come back to a hotbox of an rv
Can you imagine the miles that would eat up on an electric?

Old 01-21-2022, 07:48 PM   #64
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I now learned the new lucid has a 50mile+- drain per day to keep the system running.
Do you guys with electrics have a daily drain?

And many of you run the generator for the ac for the dog while you're shopping. We do it for us, no dog, no reason to come back to a hotbox of an rv
Can you imagine the miles that would eat up on an electric?
Haven't heard that, if so it is likely due to a software problem (much like when you have that bad app on your phone that kills the battery).

Early Tesla's had an overnight drain until they fixed the problem.

As for the Mach-E people have left it unplugged at airports for a week without any battery loss (the high voltage battery or the 12V battery).

So if there is a drain that is a design issue and not something common to all EVs.

A/C's on EVs are far more efficient than what it takes to move them down the road. The heater on the EV draws a lot more current and thus all the complaining about "being stuck in the snow" is more relevant in that the battery will get consumed faster using the heater than the A/C.

Another test in an EV (this one a Mach-E) for how long it would last using the heater (in Minnesota):
https://www.insidehook.com/article/v...zing-cold-test
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:00 PM   #65

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
That thing will NEVER replace a reliable horse and buggy - just ask the Amish farmer.

Those new "automatic transmissions" just aren't as durable as a manual shift... besides, they're too expensive to repair when they break.

What do I need a computer for? I get all my news in the daily paper on my doorstep.

Technology advancement is like a steamroller... you can deny it and pretend it's not happening, or get run over.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:07 PM   #66

THOR #13932
Things fail
Electric cars prefaced gas
Steam was the answer.
Turbine cars almost happened.
Electric failed again
Diesel cars in the usa aren't exactly winning the race.
Metric sized tires.

Time in an arrow.
Progress is a tree.
Sometimes the vaunted flavor-of-the day
Is just the
Flavor-of-the-day.

I wish for electeic to happen.
I did not develop a zeal for it based on what I wish/dream/pray will happen.

I post what I do due to doo-doo we're being told is fudge by anonymous sources at the marketing lab.

Old 01-21-2022, 08:25 PM   #67

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Haven't heard that, if so it is likely due to a software problem (much like when you have that bad app on your phone that kills the battery).

Early Tesla's had an overnight drain until they fixed the problem.

As for the Mach-E people have left it unplugged at airports for a week without any battery loss (the high voltage battery or the 12V battery).

So if there is a drain that is a design issue and not something common to all EVs.

A/C's on EVs are far more efficient than what it takes to move them down the road. The heater on the EV draws a lot more current and thus all the complaining about "being stuck in the snow" is more relevant in that the battery will get consumed faster using the heater than the A/C.

Another test in an EV (this one a Mach-E) for how long it would last using the heater (in Minnesota):
https://www.insidehook.com/article/v...zing-cold-test

Could it be the energy required to keep battery bank warm in extreme cold? I have no idea what he’s referring to since there was no reference, but 50-mile range loss would be in order of 12~15 kWh for an electric car, so only about 500 ~ 600 Watts more or less. I don’t know how well insulated battery is, but could imagine losing that much if parked in Alaska.

Have you ever run across how much energy it takes to keep battery warm enough to be functional when needed, assuming parked outside in cold?
Old 01-21-2022, 08:57 PM   #68

THOR #13932
It was a passing remark made by the owner when dropping the car off at hennesy racing.
'Yesterday it was at xy miles, now it's at 35 miles less. Huh. I guess it uses mileage just sitting'. It was inside in a temp controlled garage.

It's why I asked about if non 1,111hp cars consume while sitting.

Also
Do the batteries cool themselves or what happens when parked on a 151° havasu black paved parking lot?

Old 01-21-2022, 09:13 PM   #69

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
If the e-MH comes with a 1MW (megaWatt) battery and still have payload, and still have space to carry things like the ICE has and still have the price of the ICE version, then, I may think about it.
Otherwise, I can put a presentation with a more appealing appearance than that but it will be just a picture of something that doesn't exist.

BTW, have the Tesla semi left its virtual garage???
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:14 PM   #70
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
It was a passing remark made by the owner when dropping the car off at hennesy racing.
'Yesterday it was at xy miles, now it's at 35 miles less. Huh. I guess it uses mileage just sitting'. It was inside in a temp controlled garage.

It's why I asked about if non 1,111hp cars consume while sitting.

Also
Do the batteries cool themselves or what happens when parked on a 151° havasu black paved parking lot?
Yes they do and some cars complain when you park somewhere that is too cold, or hot "plug me in so I can condition the batteries".

That sounds a lot like Tesla's phantom drain that they took care of.

The cars really don't have to heat or cool the batteries until you want to use them (although high temps are worse for the batteries than cold temps).

Lately my car has been complaining a bit due to our <10F temps LOL "I'm cold, plug me in".
Old 01-21-2022, 09:30 PM   #71

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yes they do and some cars complain when you park somewhere that is too cold, or hot "plug me in so I can condition the batteries".

That sounds a lot like Tesla's phantom drain that they took care of.

The cars really don't have to heat or cool the batteries until you want to use them (although high temps are worse for the batteries than cold temps).

Lately my car has been complaining a bit due to our <10F temps LOL "I'm cold, plug me in".
The real world pictures you paint help me a lot.
Thanks.

I almost bought the
Badboy Electric hybrid atv years back(like looking for a test drive and pay retail pre production buy)
it turns our I knew one of their engineers.
He said not to buy it.

I almost bought the hybrid mower/atv which sold at lowes for a few months.
They recalled all for 'wiring'
They were assembled in Colorado.
Tried to come back, failed again.

I had the two 1/2 ton electric carts/atv here.

I refuse to read the hype as fact(on anything ever)
Had I believed the marketing crap, I'd own the two pieces of crap I told of above.(truly, I did believe it. It's why i was seeking them out to cement it together with fit finish and test drive)

I dont want to wind up with a giant wad of rv crap and I dont anyone else to own one if the rv is a marketing hoax then a beta test on the unsuspecting.

When a significant manufacturer posts a cgi picture with s 125mile range, and we know THIS IS THE HIGHEST AND GREATEST LIE THEIR LEGAL DEPARTMENT APPROVED,
it kind of tells of the State of the industry IF you have the ability to be aware of marketing and legal.

Unawares? You put down a deposit without knowing what 125miles means.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:13 PM   #72
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
The real world pictures you paint help me a lot.
Thanks.

I almost bought the
Badboy Electric hybrid atv years back(like looking for a test drive and pay retail pre production buy)
it turns our I knew one of their engineers.
He said not to buy it.

I almost bought the hybrid mower/atv which sold at lowes for a few months.
They recalled all for 'wiring'
They were assembled in Colorado.
Tried to come back, failed again.

I had the two 1/2 ton electric carts/atv here.

I refuse to read the hype as fact(on anything ever)
Had I believed the marketing crap, I'd own the two pieces of crap I told of above.(truly, I did believe it. It's why i was seeking them out to cement it together with fit finish and test drive)

I dont want to wind up with a giant wad of rv crap and I dont anyone else to own one if the rv is a marketing hoax then a beta test on the unsuspecting.

When a significant manufacturer posts a cgi picture with s 125mile range, and we know THIS IS THE HIGHEST AND GREATEST LIE THEIR LEGAL DEPARTMENT APPROVED,
it kind of tells of the State of the industry IF you have the ability to be aware of marketing and legal.

Unawares? You put down a deposit without knowing what 125miles means.
Much like everything you have to be able to separate the signal from the noise (not just EVs but everything...RVs in particular).
Old 01-22-2022, 02:50 PM   #73

THOR #2121
At very end of CNBC discussion with Winnebago CEO Happe, he says that while 125-mile range could satisfy some early adopters, he thinks Winnebago needs to increase range to 200 miles plus for production motorhome to appeal to a bigger wave of early adopters.

https://rvbusiness.com/video-winneba...-e-rv-on-cnbc/

To get to that 200+ mile range will require close to doubling the battery capacity on either the Winnebago or the Ford OEM cargo van, which is presently only 68 kWh useable from Ford. That would add a little over 1,000 pounds, reducing maximum payload to +/- 2,500 pounds. The van’s RV conversion would have to be kept down to 1,500 pounds to leave 1,000 pounds OCCC.

Battery weight (in addition to cost) is one reason electric vans have such low range compared to pickups. The e-Transit seems designed for in-city parcel delivery and has maximum payload of 3,500 ~ 3,600 pounds which is higher than many light-duty pickup trucks.
Old 01-22-2022, 04:07 PM   #74

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
The electric RV is interesting concept, but as Bill said what do you do about charging the beast while boondocking? Also, the majority of our National Park campgrounds & National Forest campgrounds aren't electrified either.
Someone on here kicked out the idea of a hybrid MH that might be something that is doable.
We bought a motorhome for convenience of being fully self-contained. If you are saddled with having to be plugged in every night kinda defeats that.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:50 PM   #75

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
The electric RV is interesting concept, but as Bill said what do you do about charging the beast while boondocking? Also, the majority of our National Park campgrounds & National Forest campgrounds aren't electrified either.
.....cut......

You don’t, unless you want to bring along a portable generator.

You would need enough travel range to get to destination and back to a charging station, plus enough juice to power refrigerator, stove, microwave, etc. at minimum while boondocking.

A “MAJOR” problem is for campers who need to use a significant amount of battery energy to air condition or heat in cold weather. Also hot water for bathing can use a lot of battery capacity.

Boondocking at a rest area or Walmart one night at a time between charges may be workable for some, but “camping” in a remote site for multiple days without shore power, if needing A/C or heat, is pretty much out of question unless you bring a generator.

I could use this unit to overnight at football games, but would never want to be limited to even 200 miles of range. I would fly and rent a car for the game before I’d spend all my time waiting to recharge multiple times a day to get there and then back. I would downsize RV van even more to size of a minivan as long as I was able to travel on a whim. One reason I don’t like large RVs is that they tie you down, and electric is worse in that department. Too much planning and limitations takes fun out of traveling for us.

Hybrid would be my preference for now even though it would not save much fuel during highway driving (some but not much). The real advantage for me is all electric coach with super-fast recharging of battery. No need for generator, propane, etc.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:04 AM   #76

Model: 29H Outlaw Toyhauler
State: Illinois
THOR #19120
EV winter range loss

We've tried. We're done. Had a Chevy Volt hybrid plug-in for 3 years. And a Chevy Bolt plug-in for 3 years after that. Got rid of them both. Both had significant range loss in the Chicagoland winters, parked inside an unheated garage. Once these large battery arrays get cold, they won't charge to full range. Believe me. Our Bolt's summer range was about 220 to 250 miles with a winter range about 110 to 120 miles. These EVs are okay as a city car, a second car, or a toad, but I can't ever imagine using an EV RV in a northern climate.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:04 PM   #77

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
THOR #20274
Our friend had a Tesla and went to a Viking game in Minnesota and had to keep stopping because the range dropped so much in cold weather
Old 01-23-2022, 01:24 PM   #78
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
LOL Yup if you're not expecting it the winter range can be a bit of a surprise (just check out any EV forum "I'm not getting the range I was told" posts start in the fall and continue until spring).

There are ways to mitigate it some but yeah a bit less of range.

Had a Bolt before my Mach-E and yeah had similar results in winter here in Michigan. Of course that was completely expected so I wasn't disappointed with it.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:07 PM   #79
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
More info on the estream concept trailer from Airstream:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ge-mpg-details

Lots of good info there.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:35 PM   #80

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
THOR #20274
Where are the slide outs? Charge the trailer charge the suv, do they have drive through charging so the area isn't blocked by the suv. 30 amp campground charging while using the stove, microwave, heater or water heater. Until solid state batteries come out I don't see it happening and I wouldn't own anything without a slide out