Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Ontario
THOR #5076
Winter storage questions

I have had a 5th wheel trailer for many years but now have a new 31W C class. So I have some winter storage questions for you all.

Should I take the house batteries out for the winter?

Should I use the auto jacks to help take some stress off the tires?

Any other tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 10-11-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I leave all batteries in my Axis (especially the coach since I'd have to tear up the dash to remove it..sigh lovely Thor). I do, however, have them all disconnected and check on them monthly for charge state (if low I run the engine(s) to bring them back up--no plugs where I store it over winter).

I don't have power jacks and thus have, for two winters now, left the coach sit on the tires. Our previous camper, also a 5th wheel, wintered with only the front jacks down for 10 years without issue.

I have covered our Axis every winter so far (which seems to have protected the outside finish).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:58 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I read somewhere if you leave the leveling jacks down to protect the pistons with silicon spray.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:21 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I leave the house batteries in and have the RV plugged in all winter. Never had a problem.

The RV stays on it's tires all winter. I replace the tires every 5-7 years and they look like new.

I have also never covered the RV. I have read about wind damage caused by the cover.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:57 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I read somewhere if you leave the leveling jacks down to protect the pistons with silicon spray.
That maintenance item is in the leveling system operators manual. The jacks should be cleaned and sprayed every 7 to 14 days (I believe) when they are left down.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:04 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My coach is stored at the house when not in use. I have it plugged into 50 amp and generally have jacks down and slides extended. If there is heavy rain or snow in the forecast I will retract the slides to prevent snow and ice from building up on the slide toppers.

I use this "storage" time to take the coach to the dealer for service, roof inspection, and state safety inspection. This is normally done in December or January so we are ready to roll in February or March.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
I leave the house batteries in and have the RV plugged in all winter. Never had a problem.

The RV stays on it's tires all winter. I replace the tires every 5-7 years and they look like new.

I have also never covered the RV. I have read about wind damage caused by the cover.
I think that geographical or topographical location has a lot to do with wind damage due to the RV cover. I tried it for one winter in NH and because we were very exposed to the northwest, the cover took a beating and there were a few areas of abrasion on the RV. I never covered it after that winter.

This is how it's covered though the summer months when not in use.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
Tires off the ground have 3 advantages. First its good on the springs. Second good for the tires, and third with the tires off the ground you can start it and put it in gear to get the diff and trans turning to keep everything in good working order. Only idle when running off the ground and make sure you are in the seat and that your system doesn't automcatically lower the RV once it goes in gear. My Class A I did this with. And of you plan to put it in the grass or dirt and plan to move it a few times put the tires on boards so it doesn't freeze to the ground.

Don't forget about the generator. You can fog it for the winter or just run it once a month. Better off running it once a month at a minimum. Engines that sit for long periods of time don't last as long as ones that run often.

If you are letting it sit take the batteries out. Otherwise leave it on shore power or a battery maintainer. Even my boat I run my outboards once a month here in Chicago. I don't like to winterize as I think its better to keep things running once in a while.

And lastly make sure you put stabil in the gas tank and run the engine AND generator long enough to get the fuel with the stabil in it into the fuel lines on the engines.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
My winter storage up till 2 years ago has been batteries in... disconnected via RV switches (last RV had both chassis and coach disconnect, current one only has coach), jacks up... had no power available.
I checked on it periodically - never had a need to charge batteries... ran engine/gen for their own sakes a few times over winter.

I asked the dealer years ago when I bought first RV about jacks up/down for storage - and UP was recommended... Seemed to make sense not to expose the nice shiny shafts to the snow/salt of Michigan... Never went back to relook at it honestly. Been a lot of discussions about not having tires off the ground with leveling jacks on the forum...

My recent winter storage (last 2 winters) has been jacks down, slides out, plugged in... at an RV park in central FL with me in it! Works very well. Now 'winter storage' applies to the house in MI... until someone buys it.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you keep coach plugged in with charger going you shouldn't have to worry. Batteries will freeze when discharged which makes it very important to keep them charged all the time.