Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2021, 10:34 PM   #61

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongrant View Post
Not sure if this is a joke - but Yukon is in Canada - just to the east of Alaska. (That's why I say we're a long way geographically.) The coldest month here is January with an AVERAGE temp of -15° C (5° F). The average January temp for North Dakota is 4°F. (So not much difference - but COLD.)
I looked up Montana - the average January temp for Montana is about the same as North Dakota.
No joke for me because I never knew where the Yukon was.

Then I read...
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
MONTANA is the Yukon

Then I thought you were saying it was in North Dakota which led the question. I have been to Canada lots of times, but places like Calgary, Banff, Winnepeg & Toronto. I guess I am to point where I need to Google now.

But for clarity, I think you are saying you are in the Yukon? If so; where or how did North Dakota come up giving Scuba was talking about Montana?

Regardless, I now know at least one other person besides myself that Winterizes by the book; at -15 degree temperatures and the Yukon; you best it get right

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:49 PM   #62

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Then I thought you were saying it was in North Dakota which led the question. I have been to Canada lots of times, but places like Calgary, Banff, Winnepeg & Toronto. I guess I am to point where I need to Google now.

But for clarity, I think you are saying you are in the Yukon? If so; where or how did North Dakota come up giving Scuba was talking about Montana?
To give you an idea - go to Calgary and then drive north for 1,400 miles and you'll reach the Yukon. I mentioned North Dakota in reply to Scuba because I know the temperatures are similar to Yukon. But geographically, it's a long way south. I was trying to say (not very successfully) that Montana is NOT the Yukon - even though we have similar cold temperatures.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:54 PM   #63

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
My city water connection is on the opposite side of the coach where the water pump is. If I blow compressed air into the city water connection, will that clear ALL the lines? Stupid question... cycle the pump while doing this, or will the air "blow through" the pump... clearing it and all downstream lines/faucets? I'm thinking about trying both blow/pink this coming winter.
I don't think it matters where the city water connection is.

Summary steps from my SOB manual
  1. Level the coach
  2. Drain fresh water tanks & waterline
  3. Remove water filter and remount empty canister
  4. Open Faucets
  5. Drain Toilet
  6. Drain Water Heater & Open Pressure Relief valve on tank
  7. Connect Air Pressure to city water fill regulated at 30 psi
  8. Let air flow for 5 minutes & close one faucet at a time
  9. Drain toilet
  10. Turn Air Pressure off
  11. Close waterlines & drains
  12. Reinstall heater drain plug and close pressure relief valve
  13. Pour 1 cup of RV antifreeze down each sink and shower drains
  14. Empty water pump(s) strainer bowl

This is where I go get another beer, but it is also where some may wish to add the Alternative Option of backfilling RV Antifreeze into fresh water line
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-17-2021, 11:01 PM   #64

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
My city water connection is on the opposite side of the coach where the water pump is. If I blow compressed air into the city water connection, will that clear ALL the lines? Stupid question... cycle the pump while doing this, or will the air "blow through" the pump... clearing it and all downstream lines/faucets? I'm thinking about trying both blow/pink this coming winter.
I would think it would blow everything except for the pump and a little of the line, that's why I do the pink at the end and blow the lines again. Everything is pink and then there is nothing in the lines so even if an ounce of water was left somewhere now it's pink and won't break the line
Old 08-17-2021, 11:03 PM   #65

THOR #13058
Quote:
To give you an idea - go to Calgary and then drive north for 1,400 miles and you'll reach the Yukon. I mentioned North Dakota in reply to Scuba because I know the temperatures are similar to Yukon. But geographically, it's a long way south. I was trying to say (not very successfully) that Montana is NOT the Yukon - even though we have similar cold temperatures.

Got it..

Just so you know, I once flew into Calgary drove north about 100 miles and saw Moose running free all over the place; so we stopped in Banff, I went Fly Fishing on Bow River; had such a good time I forgot to drive the other 1300 miles, that is why I don't know anything about the Yukon. I feel edumacated now. Thanks
Old 08-17-2021, 11:09 PM   #66

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
The tv program Alaska life or something they talk about a town in Alaska that hardly gets below freezing and rains all the time. It's in the same geographic location as Seattle or Vancouver, I couldn't believe the weather could be so temperate in Alaska
Old 08-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #67

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
You're far away geographically. But the temperatures are close. Don't know the stats for Montana - but North Dakota is only, on average, a half degree colder than we are.

Most people here do both - blow the lines and run the pink stuff through the lines. It costs very little and takes a few minutes.

But there are people here that do one or the other and are fine. I've heard of people who thought they had the lines blown out - and then ran into trouble. But most are fine.

The key is to make sure you do one or the other properly. I've messed up enough things over the years that I no longer trust my ability to do almost anything properly. So I do both. (If there was a third option, I would probably do that too. Can never be too safe!)
Hey Excellent..from now on I do both
Old 08-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #68

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hey Excellent..from now on I do both
Scuba, you confused me saying that "Montana is the Yukon" ... My bad, but now it looks like I have to schedule my RV winter vacation to the @Real Yukon to prove Method 1: Blow Procedure is all I need before any trip to the @Real Montana

Note: I may have to pack an extra light jacket and some long pants for the trip though....