Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2021, 02:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 29FE Freedom Elite
State: Idaho
THOR #15730
Winterize

I just read an article on 2 methods of winterizing - Compressed air blown through system and/or putting RV anitfreeze (the pink stuff) in the plumbing. Some folks do both. Here is my question. This article stated that if you use the compressed air method only and you blow air through all faucets, toilet, shower, etc then you should "Run the water pump for a minute or so as you will still have water in the line, pump, and screen as the city water system bypasses this."

I thought running the water pump with no water in the tank wasn't good for the pump and may make it useless the next year or make it lose its prime and give you trouble next time you add water to the tank. Should you run the water pump to get rid of excess moisture in the lines when the tank is dry?

THanks for your thoughts.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
These are self-priming, run dry, diaphragm pumps. Running them long enough to spit out residual water is not a problem.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
These are self-priming, run dry, diaphragm pumps. Running them long enough to spit out residual water is not a problem.
I agree. You should also remove the cap on the in line strainer before the pump and dump any water inside it. Then screw the cap back on.

David
Old 08-09-2021, 05:20 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
On various forums including this one, quite a few folks have used air when they have continuous or Aqua Hot units.

If you have either one antifreeze usually saves a costly repair or replacement
Old 08-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I once considered the compressed air method. But with the unpredictable Ohio freeze/thaw cycles, I opted for the pink stuff. It's not worth the aggravation of not getting a hidden pool of water out that can ruin the party.

Less than $5 of pink, and less than 30 minutes to winterize/de-winterize was good enough insurance for me. And it hasn't failed me... yet.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #6

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I do both - compressed air and the pink stuff. For all the time it takes, you can't be too careful living in the Yukon. It WILL freeze HARD here every year.
The compressed air is useful for the lines for the city water or the sani flush - any thing before the pump that would be missed with the pink stuff. I then make sure all the lines are running pink. It'll just push any left over water out and also puts some anti freeze down the drain and protects the P traps. I also open the low drain valves and leave all the taps open over the winter. If the pink stuff freezes and expands, the open valves will release the pressure and helps prevent burst lines.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:41 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I agree. You should also remove the cap on the in line strainer before the pump and dump any water inside it. Then screw the cap back on.

David
My 30 year rv tech agrees. Remove dump strainer and use pink stuff. See image. This women owns this rig and thought she air blew the lines. Had leaks. Our tech ordered her a $9000 part to replace water pump etc!

Good news is she told him the price is not bad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210809_101854.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	32694  
Old 08-09-2021, 08:55 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
In February my RV survived the hardest freeze on Texas record; whereas my pool, pool heater, and 3 pipes in the house did not.

I simply drained all the water lines, blew compressed air, and drained both water pumps. In my coach, I have to run the water pumps in order to drain the water tank; so I was already running to it spit dry. I just take the strainer out to dump it, clean it and put back on.

I have the RV Antifreeze, but it is only for me to pour in the sinks and shower to fill P traps. When I drive some place and I remember, I will pour some more in the drains. I don't know how far North I would have to move to put RV Antifreeze in my fresh water lines? I can't afford to let my RV go months without usage. We drive it all the time on trips when it has been "fully winterized" I have some blank generic "Winterized Forms" that I tape on toilet and sinks etc. so we know / remember that it is actually winterized and to not use. However, if no freezing weather is eminent (defined by me as 27 or below), I don't hesitate to fill fresh water tank with water and enjoy the trip. We were in mountains in Arkansas one night unwinterized, and temperature hit 28 for about 10 hours I was really scared. As we drove back the next day, the temperature warmed and had no damage, so my freezing threshold is 27.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #9

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
In February my RV survived the hardest freeze on Texas record; whereas my pool, pool heater, and 3 pipes in the house did not.

I simply drained all the water lines, blew compressed air, and drained both water pumps. In my coach, I have to run the water pumps in order to drain the water tank; so I was already running to it spit dry. I just take the strainer out to dump it, clean it and put back on.

I have the RV Antifreeze, but it is only for me to pour in the sinks and shower to fill P traps. When I drive some place and I remember, I will pour some more in the drains. I don't know how far North I would have to move to put RV Antifreeze in my fresh water lines? I can't afford to let my RV go months without usage. We drive it all the time on trips when it has been "fully winterized" I have some blank generic "Winterized Forms" that I tape on toilet and sinks etc. so we know / remember that it is actually winterized and to not use. However, if no freezing weather is eminent (defined by me as 27 or below), I don't hesitate to fill fresh water tank with water and enjoy the trip. We were in mountains in Arkansas one night unwinterized, and temperature hit 28 for about 10 hours I was really scared. As we drove back the next day, the temperature warmed and had no damage, so my freezing threshold is 27.
You have not been to Montana
Old 08-09-2021, 09:39 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
You have not been to Montana
No, but I have watched every Yogi Bear show no less than 3 times and one thing I learned is "I'm smarter than the av-er-age bear! hey, hey, hey

I can say this with certainty, if I am only allowed to travel up there with 1/3 tank of fresh water, that has to have Pink RV Antifreeze in it, I ain't coming

Might I also add that we were in Colorado in the RV caught in the worst snowstorm for Colorado in 100 years We were winterized for that trip; so no water at all, but also no Pink Antifreeze in the water tank, only use it for the drain lines.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-09-2021, 09:41 PM   #11

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
I use the compressed air method and dump the pink stuff in the traps. Its much easier to just hook up to water in winter if we decide to go somewhere. When done we just blow out the lines again. Simple.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:07 PM   #12

THOR #20220
Quote:
No, but I have watched every Yogi Bear show no less than 3 times and one thing I learned is "I'm smarter than the av-er-age bear! hey, hey, hey

I can say this with certainty, if I am only allowed to travel up there with 1/3 tank of fresh water, that has to have Pink RV Antifreeze in it, I ain't coming

Might I also add that we were in Colorado in the RV caught in the worst snowstorm for Colorado in 100 years We were winterized for that trip; so no water at all, but also no Pink Antifreeze in the water tank, only use it for the drain lines.
Well Colorado is not montana

The average high temperatures are in the mild 40°F (4.4°C) to 50°F (10°C) range, while the nights are cold with average low temperatures in the frigid range of 15°F (-9.4°C) to 30°F (-1.1°C). Though the severe cold of winter subsides by early spring, it is still cold and windy with a little moisture in the air.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:08 PM   #13

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
I use the compressed air method and dump the pink stuff in the traps. Its much easier to just hook up to water in winter if we decide to go somewhere. When done we just blow out the lines again. Simple.
I did air and pump still failed on strainer..rv tech swears by Pink stuff and put in pee traps and toilet
Old 08-09-2021, 11:47 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:

Hahaha!
Old 08-10-2021, 12:05 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Okay... How many motorhome enthusiasts does it take to winterize a motorhome?
Old 08-10-2021, 12:46 AM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I did air and pump still failed on strainer..rv tech swears by Pink stuff and put in pee traps and toilet
Any RV Tech in Montana that does not recommend the Pink RV Anti Freeze and placement of the same in in the P Traps should be fired on the spot and prolly not make a good living servicing RVs in Montana?

Don't miss the point. I use Pink RV Anti Freeze too. There are others like me that ONLY use it for the drain lines. Your situation is clearly different. But I know in my case when properly winterized; I have gone a week with sub freezing temperatures and it was down to -2 F on 2/16/21. And that is/was the 2nd coldest day in history recorded for Dallas.

So in my mine it comes down to knowing how to properly winterize. If you do, there is no need to ever put RV Anti Freeze in fresh water supply. But if you plan to go months with no usage and you you expect consistently sub freezing temperatures during that same period I can see why some may wish to do that. But for me, I would be just as concerned with having Pink Antifreeze improperly distributed throughout my fresh water supply that could freeze, as some may be worried that they may not properly drain all of the fresh. The latter is easier and quicker for me and with no water ZERO chance of anything freezing. The fact that I don't effect my water taste is side benefit. Yeah, I was gonna sanitize anyway but no need to make it foul and harder to clear the taste back to normal.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:23 AM   #17

THOR #20220
Quote:
Any RV Tech in Montana that does not recommend the Pink RV Anti Freeze and placement of the same in in the P Traps should be fired on the spot and prolly not make a good living servicing RVs in Montana?

Don't miss the point. I use Pink RV Anti Freeze too. There are others like me that ONLY use it for the drain lines. Your situation is clearly different. But I know in my case when properly winterized; I have gone a week with sub freezing temperatures and it was down to -2 F on 2/16/21. And that is/was the 2nd coldest day in history recorded for Dallas.

So in my mine it comes down to knowing how to properly winterize. If you do, there is no need to ever put RV Anti Freeze in fresh water supply. But if you plan to go months with no usage and you you expect consistently sub freezing temperatures during that same period I can see why some may wish to do that. But for me, I would be just as concerned with having Pink Antifreeze improperly distributed throughout my fresh water supply that could freeze, as some may be worried that they may not properly drain all of the fresh. The latter is easier and quicker for me and with no water ZERO chance of anything freezing. The fact that I don't effect my water taste is side benefit. Yeah, I was gonna sanitize anyway but no need to make it foul and harder to clear the taste back to normal.

Rv antifreeze are non toxic and specifically prepared for this. They mostly come in pink color, but you may also get them in blue colors. ... It is non-toxic and the safest for all types of RV plumbing. This antifreeze is non-flammable and does not taint water systems
Old 08-10-2021, 01:37 AM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I do the pink stuff as it’s easier, faster and more certain. $5 and 15 minutes. Last winter I did it 4 times to facilitate winter trips.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:58 AM   #19

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I've been winterizing RVs for 30 years. The Yukon is not Montana or Colorado. We are certainly not the coldest spot in the world. But I always buy RV anti freeze that's rated for at least -40. (Doesn't matter if it's C or F - it's the same in both.) Almost every winter, we drop down to that temp for a few days.
I never pour the anti freeze into the fresh water tank. I drain all the tanks. There's probably a bit of liquid in each one - but not enough to cause me any problems.
I've always used the "winterizing" plumbing located close to the pump. In the old days, I would disconnect the plumbing from the fresh water tank to the pump and connect a different line that goes into the jug of anti freeze. Our last couple of RVs had a system that saves that step.
The benefits of using RV anti freeze is that it's non toxic. Since the drains go to holding tanks, and I'm not drinking anything out of there, you do not have to use RV anti freeze in the P traps and drains. Any anti freeze will work. But if you're already running the stuff through the plumbing, it just goes down the drain and works.
RV anti freeze has an unpleasant taste. It won't harm you. But it's unpleasant. I sanitize the plumbing in the spring and flush lots of fresh water through the system. Once I get DW's approval that there's no more bleach smell or taste, I know I'm good to go.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:47 AM   #20

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongrant View Post
I've been winterizing RVs for 30 years. The Yukon is not Montana or Colorado. We are certainly not the coldest spot in the world. But I always buy RV anti freeze that's rated for at least -40. (Doesn't matter if it's C or F - it's the same in both.) Almost every winter, we drop down to that temp for a few days.
I never pour the anti freeze into the fresh water tank. I drain all the tanks. There's probably a bit of liquid in each one - but not enough to cause me any problems.
I've always used the "winterizing" plumbing located close to the pump. In the old days, I would disconnect the plumbing from the fresh water tank to the pump and connect a different line that goes into the jug of anti freeze. Our last couple of RVs had a system that saves that step.
The benefits of using RV anti freeze is that it's non toxic. Since the drains go to holding tanks, and I'm not drinking anything out of there, you do not have to use RV anti freeze in the P traps and drains. Any anti freeze will work. But if you're already running the stuff through the plumbing, it just goes down the drain and works.
RV anti freeze has an unpleasant taste. It won't harm you. But it's unpleasant. I sanitize the plumbing in the spring and flush lots of fresh water through the system. Once I get DW's approval that there's no more bleach smell or taste, I know I'm good to go.
Same here

On Jan. 20, 1954 a temperature of -70 was recorded during one of the harshest winters in the history of the Treasure State. This is the coldest temperature on record in the lower 48.