Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #11013
Winterize question

Hello all. Cold weather has arrived in Chicago area early. Last year our Motor home was winterized in November before we bought it in January. I can’t get it in until next month. It’s going to possibly get in 20’s here tonight. Any suggestions on what to do until I can get it in? We actually have a couple more short getaways planned this month. Wasn’t planning on an early winter. Thank you in advance, Monnie

Old 10-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Guess if you have 110 power you could leave an electric heater on low but that could possibly a fire risk. Guess you could set you propane furnace to low. All this only warms inside and the problem is underneath where water lines are exposed. Short of insulating them some how, I don't know.....
Old 10-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well usually the water lines are inside the coach and not underneath so running the furnace with the temp set to 50 or so is a good idea. Open all the cupboards and cabinets as well to get the heat in the closed up areas.

You could also just buy a few gallons of pink antifreeze and winterize it yourself really quick; its not a hard job to do--probably take a newbie an hour or so.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Maybe it's a sign that you need to learn to do this yourself! It's rocket science and you'll save some $$.

Or, you could spend the winter in Florida and cross that chore off your to-do list! No, wait, that was supposed to be a secret! We can't have everybody moving here.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:03 AM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Like already said I would just winterize it yourself really quick. That being said is it getting warm during the day? Just because it gets to the 20s at night if it’s warming up during the day I can’t imagine the lines would freeze that fast. If you run the heater on low you should be okay
Old 10-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
is it getting warm during the day? Just because it gets to the 20s at night if it’s warming up during the day I can’t imagine the lines would freeze that fast. If you run the heater on low you should be okay
this was my thought. only here in CA it does not get below low 30's so i was wondering if you have to winterize at all in CA?
Old 10-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I would think if its in the HIGH 20's at night (for a low) you should be fine. You want want to heat up the interior before you get to bed then shut it off (or run electic heater on low?). But then at 7 or 8am crank the heat up again and run water?

If its mid or low 20's you better leave a electric heater on low all night or just winterize yourself.

I watched a couple of You tubes on this - its not hard. Took me maybe one hour but I was taking my time. I used about 1.5 gal of RV antifreeze then I put the rest in my empty black and gray tanks.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
this was my thought. only here in CA it does not get below low 30's so i was wondering if you have to winterize at all in CA?
Well if your the type to watch the weather everday and know that if you have some crazy cold snap you need to winterized or run a heater at night then I would not worry about it.

I have mine in insulated storage building. I have a temp gauge on the stove that shows the Hi's and lows for the day. Last summer it never got above 85 to 88 deg (outside temp was in high 90's) and the coldest I ever saw was either 30 or 32 deg (Lows were in single digit or Teens some nights). But it was a mild winter last her so the highs 40's and 50's in the day time so I think it warms it up and holds heat for the night. Some years we will get 30's for highs and single digits for lows so I bet after a day or two of that my RV would freeze.

But I always winterize by NOV so I dont have to worry about it.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote