Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
RV gps

My Rand McNally GPS has a bad file and is five years old so looking for a replacement.
The new one HAS to be able to display SPEED since when it is sunny out and I look down at the dash display all I see is black until my eyes adjust which is to long not looking at the road. If only Thor had put a white background with black numbers. End of rant!
What brand GPS are you using that you find reliable for RV travel?

Thanks!

2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Take a look at the RV-specific units from Garmin...
Old 06-05-2021, 05:43 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
My Rand McNally GPS has a bad file and is five years old so looking for a replacement.
The new one HAS to be able to display SPEED since when it is sunny out and I look down at the dash display all I see is black until my eyes adjust which is to long not looking at the road. If only Thor had put a white background with black numbers. End of rant!

Thanks!
Have you updated the drive? Mine had a bad file as well and the new firmware fixed that and of course I updated the maps as well

If you haven't updated for 5 years you have several files and will probably take 1/2 hour or so to get all the updates
Old 06-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
X2 on the Garmin. My Rand, IMO was garbage and dangerous even though it was an RV unit.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:54 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
I have the Garmin RV890. It does have speed, both limit and actual, and the display is bright enough that I can see it easily even "snow blind" from looking out.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:34 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
I have the Garmin RV890 also and love it. Have had zero issues and the screen size is perfect. I have no problem seeing all the detail and info with my progressive lenses.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:53 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Ditto on the Garmin. Shows actual speed AND a little speed limit sign down in the left corner. Free lifetime map updates is a bonus.
Same problem here... I cannot read ANYTHING in the instrument display... Ford E series. YES! Black with white background would be great!
Old 06-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #8

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
I normally just used my iPhone and maps. But I just bought a garmin 785 - with camera. Today is its maiden voyage. I chose this model because it has a front facing camera.
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
I have the new 10" Garmin RV 1090. Pricy but my company is a partner with Garmin and I received 35% off.

My old eyes loves the extra large 10" screen and this thing is a full computer. It does it all.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #10

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I have the new 10" Garmin RV 1090. Pricy but my company is a partner with Garmin and I received 35% off.

My old eyes loves the extra large 10" screen and this thing is a full computer. It does it all.

Where did you mount it
Old 06-07-2021, 03:34 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
I normally just used my iPhone and maps. But I just bought a garmin 785 - with camera. Today is its maiden voyage. I chose this model because it has a front facing camera.
Good luck!
I hope that it records nothing but good times...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:03 PM   #12
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Garmin. All are not perfect. You have to know where you are going. For some reason it can try to send you down a two lane road to your destination when you are on a highway that goes directly there. Just happened to me for the second time last week. Highway 58 going from Barstow to Bakersfield. In Tehachapi it tried to send me down a street that reconnected to highway 58 two miles down the road. It may be that it was just looking a a shorter drive distance. I also use Waze on my cell phone at the same time. I have a rubber pad that does not allow movement and a cell phone holder. I plug in the cell phone into the power port. Great for police, accidents, construction, cars/trucks on the side of the road, debris in the road, etc..
Old 06-08-2021, 01:18 PM   #13

THOR #17154
I bought the friction mount for the 875. Sucks…. With the 2 humps on my dash, it won’t sit flat - so I move it forward a bit. It keeps sliding around and I have to keep reaching over and straightening. I’m going to have to use duct tape to keep it in position. I’m thinking about returning it and buying one of those extended suction cup holders…
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 06-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #14

THOR #17154
Also - the 875 doesn’t have an option for a toad. I had to configure my setup as an RV towing a trailer.
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 06-09-2021, 10:03 PM   #15

Model: 45MJ
State: Indiana
THOR #17712
Garmin 890
Old 06-09-2021, 10:51 PM   #16

State: Ohio
THOR #15042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post

Thanks!
Garmin’s 785 is excellent unite in my opinion it also have build in dash camera, I have the 780 I like it, but I wish I got the 785
Old 07-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #17

Model: Venetian
State: Michigan
THOR #19687
Issues with Garmin 785

I got a Garmin 785, and may replace it. It routs okay, although sometimes a little unexpectedly, but its positioning accuracy is terrible. It's showed me being on the road next to the one I was on more than once - and this parallel road was not just a frontage road, it was almost 100 feet away. I've never had a GPS of any brand (I've had Magellan, Rand, and other Garmins) that didn't do a LOT better. Also, the unit tells you where you can get fuel ahead, but even in RV mode with 64 foot long specified, it says you can get gas at small stations with tight turns that just aren't close to possible with the RV. If it would only show those that can handle large rigs, it would be much better. I'm thinking about scrapping this to get a truck GPS.

But that said, I've used it for two years, and other than wrong turns because of adjacent road issues, it's never steered me wrong.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
I got a Garmin 785, and may replace it. It routs okay, although sometimes a little unexpectedly, but its positioning accuracy is terrible. It's showed me being on the road next to the one I was on more than once - and this parallel road was not just a frontage road, it was almost 100 feet away. I've never had a GPS of any brand (I've had Magellan, Rand, and other Garmins) that didn't do a LOT better. Also, the unit tells you where you can get fuel ahead, but even in RV mode with 64 foot long specified, it says you can get gas at small stations with tight turns that just aren't close to possible with the RV. If it would only show those that can handle large rigs, it would be much better. I'm thinking about scrapping this to get a truck GPS.

But that said, I've used it for two years, and other than wrong turns because of adjacent road issues, it's never steered me wrong.
If you find any app or GPS that will list gas stations based on your RV's dimensions and characteristics please post the name of the device or app. I believe nothing of that nature yet exists.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Set the Garmin POI to "truck stop", not "gas station". That was you are assured enough room for your rig.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:59 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
If you find any app or GPS that will list gas stations based on your RV's dimensions and characteristics please post the name of the device or app. I believe nothing of that nature yet exists.
No, I don't know an APP but Trucker Path comes the closest. I have and old Garmin 3590LMT (2012). I use the POI Factory to load all the trucks stops I can find on a memory card (independent and 5 majors) and set the alert to maximum (about 19 miles). Before I start for the day, I search for truck stops along my path. I check with Gas Buddy for price and if it looks good add it to the trip. Since we seldom travel more the 400 miles a day in the summer and 325 miles a day in the winter, one fuel stop per day is sufficient.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote