Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Wiring diagrams

Just put the VIN number into the TMC owner-resource website and expected to find coach model specific wiring diagrams but all that is there are manuals for components and generic how-to videos. The only thing coach specific is the Serial Data Card. Does TMC provide wiring harness and wire routing diagrams to owners?

Bob

Old 05-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Bob:

Well, yes and no. If you log onto TMC with your VIN you see a bunch of documents, mostly manuals for the various components. But there is a document that for my new Axis is called Axix-Vegas 2021 General Schematics. That is useful and gives a variety of electrical data but no detailed schematics, just high level ones.

When I called Thor support to discuss why I did not have power to the dash cigarette lighter outlets, they sent me a bunch of what were called Harness Schematics. These show the end device but there is no way to follow it back to where it is powered like a real schematic would allow.

I can't upload any of these to show you because they exceed this site's 3 MB limit.

David
Old 05-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If what you are looking for is not in the owner’s resource site contact Thor.

The schematics are proprietary and cannot be shared without Thor’s express written permission.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Thor had me send registration copy to verify ownership. They sent me all schematics. Have them on phones, laptop and desktop. A lot easier to read on 55" tv.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:50 PM   #5

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Thor had me send registration copy to verify ownership. They sent me all schematics. Have them on phones, laptop and desktop. A lot easier to read on 55" tv.
Are they real, detailed schematics as opposed to the simplified stuff that is on the Thor site or the "Harness" diagrams that Thor sent me.

David
Old 05-16-2021, 04:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Are they real, detailed schematics as opposed to the simplified stuff that is on the Thor site or the "Harness" diagrams that Thor sent me.

David
The civilian world rarely has "real" schematics available for end users - they are usually a hybrid schematic/wiring diagram as the installers don't need schematics; they just need to know what wire connects where.

Schematics are reserved for "Theory of Operation" and maybe intelligent troubleshooting (as opposed to follow a flow chart troubleshooting). I'll bet they don't even have real schematics for their dealer service departments.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:32 PM   #7

THOR #20289
Yes, something to aid in "intelligent troubleshooting" is what I am looking for. I agree the "Harness" diagrams are to show some installation guy how to hook wire A to terminal B which doesn't help much in trouble shooting.

But doesn't some designer draw up real schematics first and then convert them to "Harness" schematics once he has it all working out in his mind?

David
Old 05-16-2021, 06:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Yes, something to aid in "intelligent troubleshooting" is what I am looking for. I agree the "Harness" diagrams are to show some installation guy how to hook wire A to terminal B which doesn't help much in trouble shooting.

But doesn't some designer draw up real schematics first and then convert them to "Harness" schematics once he has it all working out in his mind?

David

David
When I worked in the Auto industry the items you want were available for purchase by dealer service departments only. They cost hundreds of dollars per year.

Also a lot of the component diagrams are not Thor’s property to share.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:15 PM   #9

THOR #20289
I guess that would be ok if the Thor tech people that answer the phone or emails were competent. They are not. One kept telling me to check the coach battery as the source of power for the dash cigarette lighter outlets. Another said it is powered by the chassis battery once the ignition switch was on triggering a relay.

If I had a real circuit diagram I could figure it out myself. As it stands the harness schematic shows the connections to the two outlets but I have no idea what powers them.

Confession- This has been a side issue and I haven't as yet investigated the relay/fuse block to see if there is a blown fuse that power it. I should be able to get to it this week.

David
Old 05-16-2021, 11:13 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If you only need to troubleshoot the power outlets on the dash I’d expect them to simple enough that you don’t need any outside information. On my Thor one was powered from the chassis battery but Thor had added another that was connected to the house battery. And in either case you should be able to just trace the wire back to its connection. In my case, the Ford outlet went to an ignition switched fuse panel under the dashboard and the other traced to a harness that went to the house battery. I added two new outlets directly to the chassis battery with new wires through the firewall and fused at the battery because that’s what I wanted. Easy mod and you could just rewire yours instead of pulling your hair out,
Old 05-17-2021, 12:03 AM   #11

THOR #20289
Well, I am not pulling my hair out. I do want these outlets to be powered by the chassis alternator/battery because I want to use it with a small inverter to recharge an E Bike battery pack while underway. I don't want to draw from my coach batteries to do this.

But it is a low priority to fix.

My point in posting this is that Thor has been less than helpful sending me useless Harness Schematics and giving me conflicting information about where they are powered from.

David