Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2015, 12:08 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We once set our 5th wheel up at a nearby campground for friends to use with their grandchildren for a weekend. We know them well enough to know they respect the property of others. No problems that time, but few friends would qualify for that kind of offer. Let a friend drive our Vegas? That would be a definite NO. Can't imagine a situation that I would go along with that. Looks unanimous so far!

Old 06-21-2015, 01:25 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
No way, no how.....too much invested, one of the reasons we bought new is to know nobody else has/will use it. Especially now that we keep it fully stocked with our personal belonging......I would feel the same way if someone wanted to live in my house while I was away.
San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:57 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I'd let someone (a friend or relative) live in my house while I was away much faster than loaning them my motorhome. I agree with giving the phone number of a rental company. I might even take them somewhere but stay in the motorhome, letting them pay the expenses, of course.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:24 PM   #24

State: Washington
THOR #1081
I think the better/closer friend or relative it is the higher the risk. What if something bad did happen? Would that put strain on the relationship? I would never loan my rig (Axis - 24.1) to even my best friend or brother for fear of risking damage to our relationship. My boss asked me and I could only muster a nervous laugh and reply that it would be tough to fit it in as we are always using it. He knew it was a lie but it was as gracious an exit as I could muster.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #25

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
Not a chance in Hell.

That would be like a going on vacation and a friend or coworker asking if they could use (borrow) my house while I was out of town.

I might loan them a tent though. LOL
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #26

Model: 2016 AXIS 24.1 RUV
State: California
THOR #2172
My son asked if he could borrow the RV some time. I said "MAYBE" in ten years ...
Otherwise, I would not loan our RUV to ANYONE! LOL!!!
Old 06-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #27

State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Heck no. They have nothing invested in the asset and no incentive to care for it.

BTW, one of my SILs would see the rear view camera and think he was playing a video game and lose focus of the road ahead.
Dave, i can tell you are detail oriented. Can you make a suggestion on where to find the best insurance deal. Full coverage i am assuming. And is there anything i should tell or ask the insurance company that i'm probably not aware of being a newbie if i buy this Axis. Thanks. Dave
Old 06-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #28
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
Dave, i can tell you are detail oriented. Can you make a suggestion on where to find the best insurance deal. Full coverage i am assuming. And is there anything i should tell or ask the insurance company that i'm probably not aware of being a newbie if i buy this Axis. Thanks. Dave
Insurance is one of those things where you have to shop around and compare the coverage offered and more importantly the limitations on coverage offered.

Although it does not apply in my case, if you play on storing your rig when not in use, make sure you know what happens if the coach is damaged at the storage lot or if, heaven forbid, someone breaks into it and steals all you electronic components and uses your coach for a graffiti gallery.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #29
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
As an update to my previous response, my daughter and SIL were visiting over the weekend. On their way back home (175 miles away) he spun a bearing on his Subaru. The reason, he hadn't checked the oil. He mentioned while here that Subaru's use oil and I asked about leaks. He emphatically said his car doesn't leak. Today I walk out into the driveway and happen to notice two oil spots where his car was parked.

The next time he comes over he can park on the gravel pad in the woods about 200 feet up the driveway.

This is the SIL I said would think the rear view camera was a video game. Prime example of someone who suffers from the "ID 10 T" error.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:06 AM   #30

State: Maryland
THOR #2083
No way would I allow ANYONE to borrow or use my rig.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #31

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Not only would I let my two sons borrow our ACE, but I have them insured (we are FULLY insured, and have extended service contracts) along with my husband and myself as drivers!! We bought our motorhome so we could enjoy it --by ourselves and with our family. My sons (and their wives) are worried that something might break, and I say stuff always breaks and we will get it fixed. The RV is to be used.

We do require them to first take it for a spin with us so they get used to how this drives (it is different from our former Class C), they go thru a check out process before they take off, and they must return it with a full tank of gas!!!

BTW they are both very responsible adults with families of their own.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #32

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Over a decade ago, my neighbor asked to borrow my PopUp camper trailer several times. He asked the first time within days of first bringing it home and parking it on my driveway. His intention was always "just to use it for the day" at nearby Bolsa Chica State Beach or Huntington State Beach.

The entire trailer while being towed , the lift mechanism, the slide out, and the tenting setup would particularly be at risk of damage during setup and take down. But to top it off, it would serve as a portable air-conditioned beach shack to rest, (a Yamaha genny to power the AC), shower, go to the restroom, and prepare meals throughout the day while surfing.

If you're not familiar with PopUps, they are very delicate pieces of engineering, especially during setup and takedown.

Needless to say, I always just said, NO, and would quickly change the subject of conversation to some other neighborly topic.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #33

Model: ACE 29.2
THOR #1406
No! If they were a near and dear friend or relative, I would offer to assist them with money and information to rent one. Just not worth the risk to both my rig and our relationship.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #34

Model: Seranno 33A
THOR #2389
Absolutely Not!

You would have to ask yourself if you would be OK with a wrecked and repaired MH?? If you are involved in a collision, than that is on you. Even if your "friend" was cautious and cared as much as you do, what about all the other people on the road he will encounter? My brother asked right after I got mine in sort of a joking but not joking sort of way. I said "Maybe when the new wears off" (meaning, NEVER)
"The road to hell was paved with good intentions"!
Old 07-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #35

Model: Seranno 33A
THOR #2389
Seems like the best rates are when you add it wherever you have your auto insured. I am with the Hartford group. Full coverage, good rate!
Old 07-09-2015, 02:15 AM   #36

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Nebraska
THOR #2396
Anyone would have a better chance of hitting the lottery than borrowing my motorhome
(Class C) Way to much invested and I with all my stuff in it, much like my home.

I had a guy ask once a few years ago to borrow my fifth wheel. He got mad when I laughed at him. Oh well!

Paul

When all is said and done, there is more said than done.
pheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #37

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #1001
NO!!!!!!!! or make them give you the ammt your coach is worth,and hold it. If its trashed ,buy a new one!