Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #1

State: Alaska
THOR #7980
Xantrex pro 18000

How do I check this inverter for proper performance?
It will not run a Kurig one cup coffee maker.
Or the refrigerator and the awning at the same time.
This is using 4 very good t105 batteries in full sun and 750 watts on the roof.

Old 08-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What type of refrigerator is it?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
First, 18000 is a very large inverter. Are you sure it's no an 1800?
Second, the awning is a DC load - so no inverter is needed/used for its operation.

Finally, if an 1800 watt inverter coughs, chokes, and dies trying to run a coffee maker than either the inverter is bad OR (most likely) the cables going to the battery bank for the inverter are undersized or have poor connections.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I was thinking that if they had a residential refrigerator that was running under a load: that could chew up some serious wattage...
Old 08-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #5

THOR #7980
Oops1800. One too many zeros. Yup the awning is off the batteries. But it triggered the error message on the inverter.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I didn't even see the extra zero...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1596827990
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magoo.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	25427  
Old 08-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #7

THOR #7980
It is a residential fridgr @ 7 amps at 110v
Old 08-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Okay: that doesn't sound like the culprit.
I'd have to say that you've got something funky happening with that inverter.
But I'll leave diagnosing it to the experts in here:
Changing light-bulbs is just about at my limit...
Good luck!
Old 08-07-2020, 07:20 PM   #9

THOR #7980
I passed my masters of nothing exam
Old 08-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You and I went to the same School!
Actually; I have learned something about electricity...
I've learned which fingers don't belong in the power sockets!
(The ones that I still have! )
Old 08-07-2020, 07:39 PM   #11

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I have a few questions...

1) What coach and what year?

2) How far is the battery cable run from the house batteries to the Inverter

3) What is the error message / number / code on the Inverter

I had a 2018 Outlaw 29H and Thor did a horrible job wiring the Inverter. First, the Inverter was located in the driver's side rear storage compartment when the house batteries were just behind the passenger seat. The length of the cable run was far too long for the gauge wire Thor used. This creates a huge voltage drops and kills the Inverter performance. Xantrex recommends the Inverter be as close to the batteries as possible and they have specs for the wire required based on the length of the run.

Next, the Inverter ground should be run directly to the (-) battery terminal. Thor had the negative cable from the Inverter grounded to the chassis on my Outlaw. This is also another big no-no.

Third, Thor did not use the AC output posts on the Inverter. They used the wires that would normally go to the optional GFCI outlet. Those wires in the Inverter are not the proper gauge for a long run for a 20A circuit even though they are short wires to which the Romex would connect to them. Thor does this so they don't have to use the recommended subpanel with a breaker for the AC output line. They use the built-in breaker for the GFCI outlet as the AC output circuit breaker.

You could have an issue with the Inverter. However, the Inverter might not be operating properly based upon how everything is wired. Also check the tightness of the connections at the Inverter and at the battery.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghof View Post
Oops1800. One too many zeros. Yup the awning is off the batteries. But it triggered the error message on the inverter.
Which is??????????

Low voltage I suspect.

Reinforces the DC wiring probability.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:11 PM   #13

THOR #7980
I used a hydrometer on the batteries after they had set overnight and each one was in perfect condition. I an not sure of the size wire from the batteries to the inverter but the inverter is at least 9 feet from the batteries, per Thor installation. I assumb too much line voltage line loss or maybe loose wires on the inverter . I didn't check these terminals,duh! I can also shorten the battery to battery cables a bit.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #14

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
I used a hydrometer on the batteries after they had set overnight and each one was in perfect condition. I an not sure of the size wire from the batteries to the inverter but the inverter is at least 9 feet from the batteries, per Thor installation. I assumb too much line voltage line loss or maybe loose wires on the inverter . I didn't check these terminals,duh! I can also shorten the battery to battery cables a bit.
For the Pro 1800 Watt Inverter, Xantrex recommends 2/0 AWG wire run less than 5 feet. Xantrex also states NEVER run a cable longer than 5 feet for the 1800. This is all stated in the manual.

If you had no choice but to run out to 9 feet, you would want to run 4/0 AWG.

I'll bet the length of the positive cable for the Pro 1000 Watt they wired on my Outlaw was at least 12' long and it wasn't 4/0 wire either. Like I said earlier they ran the ground to the chassis.... about 2 feet of cable.

I have the Freedom XC 2000 in my Magnitude and the run is only about 4 feet so Thor did a better job on my current coach.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:31 PM   #15

Model: thor miramar bunk model
THOR #14527
Xantrex inverter

I have a Thor Miramar so things may be different.
My inverter powers the Fridge and the TV and NOTHING else. Specifically my coffee maker is not powered off the inverter. I have to run t he generator or have shore power. That all being said my bet is that your inverter is shutting off due to low DC voltage from the batteries. AS noted in a previous post for 12v dc wire size is critical ( bigger is better ) to avoid voltage drop. My current inverter ( can't speak specifically to the Xantrex ) triggers shut down at 10.5v DC. To supply 1800 watts at 12 volts ( not accounting for inverter inefficiencies ) is 1800 divided by 12 = 150 amperes of current. MINIMUM would be 1/0 wire which is BIG. To be sure I 'd probably use something that can handle 200 amps for motors that draw more power. If you have the capability put a multimeter to measure DC voltage at he INTAKE of the inverter and measure to voltage with the coffee maker turned on. Usually draws close to 800-1000 watts. with no ineffiencies and no other draw that is going to be close to 90 amps of 12 volt power ..... Bottom line is your inverter shuts off to protect the circuits when incoming voltage is too low
Good luck and let us know what you really find....
larry
Old 08-12-2020, 11:54 PM   #16

State: Utah
THOR #3257
Quote:
We had an ongoing issue that I believed was from the inverter. Would go into error when we were driving at it was powering the electric refrigerator. After two trips to the big RV dealer in SLC and replacement to AGM batteries we still had the same issue. Finally found a very reputable small guy in SLC and they discovered that when the coach was built someone stripped the outside of the post where connection is made so there was not a good connection. Then they found that had not only happened but had overtightened the post connection so hard it just spun. That is why we were having intermittent issues. Had to replace the inverter and since then no issues
Old 08-13-2020, 05:36 AM   #17

State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Question that I have is; Is the AC outlet that you have the Keurig plugged into powered through the inverter?
We have a Xantrex 1800 in our Miramar and there are only 2 outlets (1 bedroom & 1 passenger front outlet), residential refrigerator, TV’s, interior lighting wired through it.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:17 AM   #18

Model: MIRAMAR 34.2
State: West Virginia
THOR #17939
crazy question

we have a 2017 Miramar 34.2 ,, im confused about what the inverter is to run and what runs off the in house batteries ? is the inverter to come only automatically or do i have to turn it on? and when camping and plugged in to 50 amp service what do i have to do ,to get the refrigerator run properly ? is there anything i need to do special to keep the house batteries charged? we just had to replace them this week end, so that was and expensive camping experiences lol
Old 08-14-2020, 01:13 AM   #19
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadomufn54@gmail.com View Post
we have a 2017 Miramar 34.2 ,, im confused about what the inverter is to run and what runs off the in house batteries ? is the inverter to come only automatically or do i have to turn it on? and when camping and plugged in to 50 amp service what do i have to do ,to get the refrigerator run properly ? is there anything i need to do special to keep the house batteries charged? we just had to replace them this week end, so that was and expensive camping experiences lol
Wow! You definitely need a RV101 course.

The inverter is installed to run your Residential Refrigerator which requires 120 VAC to run, just like your fridge at home.

The inverter takes 12 VDC from the house batteries and creates the 120 VAC to power your fridge when not plugged into SP or running the generator.

The inverter must be turned on to power the fridge from the house batteries. There may be a remote control/display panel for the inverter.

The inverter may also supply 120 VAC power to other outlets such as the TV and entertainment outlets.

The inverter should have an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) on its output which passes 120 VAC from the AC supply buss to the fridge and other loads when plugged into SP or running the generator; or from the inverter when not plugged into SP or running the generator.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The house batteries should be charged automatically from the Converter when plugged into SP or running the generator; or from the Engine alternator when not plugged into SP or running the generator but the engine is running.

The house battery disconnect switch must not be disconnected in order to charge the house batteries from the AC sources (SP or generator). This may be called the USE/STORE switch on your RV and USE is the "not disconnected" position.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:54 AM   #20

State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadomufn54@gmail.com View Post
We have a 2017 Miramar 34.1 that has a Xantrex 1800 inverter. Just like was already stated the inverter is for the purpose of converting the house battery direct current into alternating current so that certain electrical items in your RV can utilize the battery power to run in the absence of another electrical source. The residential refrigerator is one such item that can run off the house batteries because it’s power source is wired through the inverter. The TV’s in our RV can also run off the house batteries as well as the interior lighting a couple outlets as well. Not all electrical outlets and appliances can be run off the house batteries in most if not all cases. Also, the 1800 inverter is limited as to the load it can supply. There are larger capacity inverters available so that more things could be wired through them but you would want to also add more batteries for electrical storage. In order to find out what is wired through your inverter you should test your system. You can test it by putting your batteries in the Use position and turn on your Xantrex inverter. Go around inside your RV and check to see what has power and what doesn’t. If your Miramar is like ours you will also get power in the outlet by the passenger seat in front and on the dresser by the emergency exit in the back.
On your question about keeping the house batteries charged. First thing you want to do is make sure you check the fluid level in the batteries periodically and make sure they don’t get too low. You can keep them charged if you can hook up to shore power when stored. In our case we had solar panels installed and they keep the batteries topped off all the time. We also added two more batteries for a total of 4 batteries. Good luck
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote