Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I've got the same "hair dresser" as you...most of it now lies on the dresser. Washing my hair is a slit second task. Labels and ingredients change over the time it takes me to go though a bottle of shampoo. I'm almost out of my Prell.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #42
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Try my brand...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1545656067
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bald Head Polish.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	14742  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:10 PM   #43

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonjack View Post
Ran into a problem with my tankless water heater this weekend when dewinterizing it. A brand new Gerard GSWH-2 in my 2018 31PD. Basically camping world didn't winterize it correctly so it cracked the copper lines of the heater exchange. Contacted Thor to see what they are willing to do?

I've done a bunch of reading and seen that many people have been unhappy with the earlier versions of this water heater. I'm thinking if people aren't very satisfied now would be the time to do something else.

So I'm curious if most people are satisfied with their hot water heater that are running this model of tankless ?

Had same problem. CW in Berkley Mass. had my camper ( Vegas 2018) for 6 months correcting problems that they still have not finished (too many excuses). I had them winterize it, because it would be there in frigid weather. They did the winterization, and we went on our first trip, about 750 miles from home, hooked up and water was flowing out of the water heater like Niagara Falls. Not only that but I had a crack in piping from grey tank and a kitchen faucet which is leaking from the base.

When water heater was in use, last summer, I was not happy with it. When ever cold water was added to the mix at shower or sinks, the hot stopped running, and everything was cold. We ended up turning down water temp, and ran just the hot for showers and washing dishes. Needless to say, I am not happy with this water heater.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #44
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It sounds more like you had a "servicing problem"...
Our new rig has the Truma instant hot water system, and we're 100% happy with it!
It operates at lower water pressures, always has hot water available, and you CAN use your cold water mix...
Old 04-06-2020, 01:22 PM   #45

State: Alaska
THOR #18369
I have a Jayco 5th wheel that came with a Giard tankless heater. What a POS. Had water volume of a gallon a minute. Could not get a regular temp. When using the shower we would set it at 100. Using hot only. Many blast's on cold water. Washing dishes would set it at 120 using hot only . Had to heat water on the stove. Then started to smell wires burning. Enough of that stuff.
Had a gas/electric 6 gallon water heater installed. Now no more problems.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #46

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanglermi View Post
I have a Jayco 5th wheel that came with a Giard tankless heater. What a POS. Had water volume of a gallon a minute. Could not get a regular temp. When using the shower we would set it at 100. Using hot only. Many blast's on cold water. Washing dishes would set it at 120 using hot only . Had to heat water on the stove. Then started to smell wires burning. Enough of that stuff.
Had a gas/electric 6 gallon water heater installed. Now no more problems.
Glad you are now happy.

For me...the tankless water heater is the only way to go. I really like it.
It’s efficient when we boon-dock. Has plenty of pressure now that i’ve added an accumulator tank & Oxygenics shower head.
Use hot-only at 110 for showers
Then move it to 125 for dishes
Even my Dear Wife loves it because now she doesn’t have to wait for hot water any longer. It’s instant.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #47

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I use an adjustable water pressure gauge on the city water line set to 55psi. I also set the water temp to 102. I now have all of the hot water I want or need (as long as I have propane). I love it now that I understand how it works.

Paul
Old 04-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations!
Old 04-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #49

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
There appears to be a central problem with those who dislike their tankless.
An insistence on mixing cold water due to some ingrained need.
Trying to run your tankless off of unknown pressure from some sort of shore water source of some sort with unknown demands or capabilities.

It's easy.
Use only your pump and your internal water tank. There is NEVER a need to hook to shore water except to fill your on board tank. I'm not going to waste water on some endless shower just because I'm on shore water, so unless that's the plan, I really need to be educated about why an insistence on shore water as THE source. I sway easily and maybe I have just missed the value of depending on an unknown water pressure or a fluctuating water pressure when I have a reliable pump at my disposal.
It might just be a lack of knowledge on part and maybe I'm missing out....

Find a temperature and live with it. I see no reason, though I often don't reason well, for shower temp and dishwashing Temps to be different. To what end an added 20 degrees for dishes? Aren't you using soap? A simple purchase of an antibacterial soap negates any water temp you can mix into the disinfection formula.
Personal shower preference... I might understand.

We never have a problem, 98 percent of people never have a problem.
Slight adaptation was the key.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #50
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Girard's system does have a few... idiosyncrasies that force some adaption.
But our Truma works even slicker than the system in our house!

But they cost more...
Old 04-06-2020, 07:30 PM   #51

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I have had both Girard and Suburban water tanks and do prefer the standard 6 gallon.
The biggest reason is that the 6 gallon is much easier to use and gives 2 people enough hot water for 2 showers and washing dishes. I replaced the Girard with the 6 gallon and with the dual heating elements(electric and propane) it heats water to 140F in 17 minutes. I turn off both heaters when not in use and the water stays fairly hot for half a day, very handy when you stop for lunch and want to wash your hands. The cost for the heater and install was $1400 and will sell the Girard for $600 or so. The only modification was the tech had to shorten one drawer by 2 inches otherwise it fits into the same hole as the Girard.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 04-06-2020, 09:08 PM   #52

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...RoCuaMQAvD_BwE

new with warranty. $500 shipped.
Do they make a different unit I should be looking at better than this 42k?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #53

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 35S
State: Michigan
THOR #18552
My coach came from the factory with the Girard tankless installed. It worked intermittently at best and was never consistent. I tried to make the best of it for that first year but ultimately decided I paid too much for my RV to have to worry about whether I was going to have hot water or not. Jayco agreed to replace it and did so with the Truma Aquago Comfort model. Now I can honestly say I have a system that works just like at home where I adjust the water temp with the hot and cold faucet handles only. I don't need to adjust a temperature dial and it makes no difference what the campground water pressure is like. Works first time every time.
As far as using your onboard water pump goes, yes, that is certainly an option. It regulates your water pressure so that the Girard would usually work. However, the pump is either running continuously or almost steady while you are showering and it is noisy. If you are boondocking that is probably OK. When you are in a CG with water available at your site then it is a nuisance and if you use it that way for extended periods it eventually will shorten the life of your pump.
There is no right or wrong answer and we all have our opinions and experiences. Do what you think works best for you.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #54

State: Washington
THOR #19477
How do I change the water pressure in my 2019 Synergy?
Old 07-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #55

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilamcc View Post
How do I change the water pressure in my 2019 Synergy?

You need to purchase a regulator like this one when you are using city water...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07198GQPV...p_mob_ap_share

For your fresh water tank, your pump could have an adjustment to increase the pressure.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #56

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Installed the Shower Miser a couple of weeks ago works great,now we can dry camp with no problems flip the valve in shower it circulates water back into freshwater tank until till hot, flip valve get wet, flip valve keeps water recirculating until soaped up,flip valve and rinse. Install time was about 4 hrs cost,$15. for pex pipe 20. for shark bite fittings 60. for Shower Miser , diy.We've been fulltime for 2 years and like the endless hot water, and now we can enjoy it while dry camping.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #57

State: Washington
THOR #19477
Tankless water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonjack View Post
Ran into a problem with my tankless water heater this weekend when dewinterizing it. A brand new Gerard GSWH-2 in my 2018 31PD. Basically camping world didn't winterize it correctly so it cracked the copper lines of the heater exchange. Contacted Thor to see what they are willing to do?
I've done a bunch of reading and seen that many people have been unhappy with the earlier versions of this water heater. I'm thinking if people aren't very satisfied now would be the time to do something else.
So I'm curious if most people are satisfied with their hot water heater that are running this model of tankless ?
Hi, I have the same model tankless water heater in the coach I just purchased and I have not had a good shower yet. It is inconsistent at best. Doing dishes is the same way. I get cold shots of water through the shower head and it is annoying. I replaced the shower head and that has not helped. I have tweeked it and that has not helped. Don't know what to do.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #58

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I replaced the Girard with a 6 gallon Suburban Propane/Electric water heater and am glad I did. The Girard was OK but in my previous motorhomes I had the Suburban and it was what we were used to and it worked. The P/E will heat water to 140 F in about 15 minutes and about 20 minutes using one source of heat. The biggest advantage I see is that you are not waiting for the water to get hot and wasting water while showering. When you stop the flow of a tankless it will turn cold right away and take awhile to reheat till it gets back to the faucet. The other big advantage is the water stays hot when you turn it off and during the day you can have hot water without running the propane using the tankless. The only modification was the tech who installed it had to shorten one drawer by 4 inches but other than that it fits where the Girard was. He also installed the bypass valves for winterizing.
If you are using shore power at a campground you are already paying for electric so I do not use any propane, another saving. I am trying to sell the Girard right now.

Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 07-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #59

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Try taking the shower head off set water temp to 124degrees then turn shower on with handle to full hot don't mix with any cold water.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #60

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
The system needs between 50-55 psi water pressure to operate correctly. Set the temp to at least 102. Turn on and ONLY use the hot water. If needed, very slowly turn on the cold to adjust. You will have endless hot water for showers and dishes. Once you figure it out, you will love it. You also will need a supply of propane for the system. The system works great. I also changed my shower head to an Oxygenics brand shower head.

Paul