Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2021, 10:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I agree that no matter how much some folks will 'plan' for any scenario, which may be borne more out of 'fear', than practicality and probabilities, the next 'breakdown' or 'mechanical problem' will still probably not be solved by all the 'stuff' you might can think of to 'carry' with you. Most Class A motorhomes don't even have a SPARE TIRE, and for good reason - not only is it a chore and issue of 'where' to carry it, but the practical trial of 'installing' a rear dually tire is probably STILL NOT going to be something an owner can do. Maybe 'having' a spare makes one feel better, but it's generally NOT worth the huge effort involved, since you'll likely still need a 'truck service shop' or 'mobile mechanic' to change your tire. They already have tires.

TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:06 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We carry lots of stuff to support drag car on trailer. In 5 years we have had following happen:

1) 2017 on vacation, plugged into miswired 30 amp. 220 made a/c sound weird. Killed breaker then found converter board burned. Amazon del to where staying, no issue.
2) 2018 spent an hour in Wendys after road trash cut marker light that then got caught in rear spring popping fuse at night.
3) 2019 stopped for gas, left lights on. Truck battery dead, e start useless. Started gen and jumped with racecar charger.

Cannot plan for everything but do carry a lot of stuff. Is not out of question to get to parts store at track if needed to do repair or on road.

For RV carry spare water pump and spare tire that about it. Fuses, meter, tape and tools carried for racecar and would be dual use.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:08 AM   #23
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The pick up is a doozie that will have to wait until I get back to the laptop.

They, the service center, tried to charge me 1200.00 for the tow and repair.

This gets filed under “Are you serious?”
Old 07-28-2021, 12:12 AM   #24

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
They cannot listen, they're not listening still.
Perhaps they never will.

Some of us see how agenda blinds those who need blinded to make them correct.

Carry on.
You all sort out who's who.
A spare and extra water are such a burden to some....
But, most importantly,
This thread isn't about anticipation or roadside repair. The op made it pretty clear it's about the out-of-hand. Its about the incurable, you're down, there's no repair available, undeniable catastrophe has handed you to strangers in a strange land.

The plane has crashed on the Andes. Do you know what to do for the survivors and to the dead?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:04 AM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Well I am half way ready, because I have a spare tire, TPMS, and only one slide... when I get around to it, I will buy some fuses

But all teasing aside let me try to play out what we would have done if we had a true Mechanical breakdown as the OP described.

My Roadside assistance is with my RV Insurance . Since it was not drivable they would cover for us to get the RV towed to the nearest RV dealer. No limit on the miles. We would be entitled to get a rental while it is being fixed. I would be out whatever the repair bill is as I have no warranty, so I am gonna assume OP had $700 of repair work and $500 tow charges. So I am out of $700 and I am back on my way. Likely spent one night in hotel so I am out $850 total.

Next day another failure another tow and rental. if it is gonna be days, I take the rental and go home. Drive my personal CAR to pickup RV when it is ready and expect a larger bill this time out of pocket; say $1500. Add gas for rental and personal car, food, beer and extra fuses (just in case ) I am out of about $3,000 grand if this type of mechanical breakdowns happens to me.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:13 AM   #26

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Dave
I had several times on this last 5,000 mile trip what I thought was going to be a mechanical break down with my Sprinter going into Limp mode usually on climbing grades. Not a good feeling having to pull over on the side to turn everything off and back on to get up the hill. It was also very dangerous having to merge back into traffic each time. That happened multiple times as well as a check engine light that came on and off 3 times. I never gave it much thought about the food spoiling in the rig but that is a good point to remember. Several times we were out on lonely county roads with no buildings in sight. Now back home, it has been in the Mercedes Benz shop for more than a week and they still don't know what the issue is that is causing the vehicle to go into limp mode and throw the exhaust gas temp sensor and boost codes. Good write up and hopefully I need to do more thinking outside the box when it comes to mechanical breakdowns and what to do.

Thanks
Paul
Old 07-28-2021, 03:22 AM   #27
Site Team

THOR #1469
Now for the rest of the story; the pick up of the coach.

The Freightliner dealer called me after they completed a second road test and told me the coach was ready for pick up. I ask how much the damage was because I had them perform a full 15K service while it was in the shop. They were running a 299.00 special so I was shocked when they told me the bill was 1400.00.

Fast forward to me arriving at the service center. I ask why the bill was so high and there response was the issue was related to a fuse and fuses weren't covered under warranty so I had to pay for the repair and tow.

Question, isn't towing covered under the Freightliner roadside assistance. Yes, towing is covered under warranty so you now owe 1200.00.

Question, what was the diagnosis. Read from the shop report the fuse was making intermittent contact and causing an intermittent short so the fuse was loose because it could be wiggled around. The fuse was replaced and the pins in the fuse box tightened and the codes were cleared and check and stop engine lights went off.

Question, was the fuse blown? No the fuse was not blown it was loose in the fuse box because of the loose pins.

Question, Part 1, Is it the responsibility of the owner to check for loosens of fuses in the fuse box before every trip and Part 2 whose responsibility is it to repair or replace the fuse box

Two service advisors now begin researching stuff on their systems and after about 10 minutes they determine that fuse box maintenance is considered base maintenance and thereby covered under the warranty. Service Advisor 2 then calls the dealer's warranty claims person, who originally said the issue was not warranty related, and proceeded to explain to her what he found in the Freightliner system and that the repair was in fact a warranty covered repair. Service advisor one then proceeded to revise my invoice to only include my 299.00 service plus tax.

I handed each service advisor a 20.00 bill and ask that the have a drink after work.

I then claimed my rig and proceeded to the campground and hooked up so the fridge can cool and we will reload tomorrow.

Another entry to the initial post is how would you deal with a dealership that tries to charge you for things that should be covered under warranty without loosing your cool.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:01 AM   #28
Site Team

THOR #1469
As a note, when we picked up our rig there was a Newmar Ventana sitting in the lot and a Tiffin Allegro Bus being pulled in on a tow truck. The service advisor said they were coming in for DEF related issues.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #29

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
When our RV broke down on the second day of our recent road trip along I-70 in MO, we were having suck a bad luck. The mini cooper I am towing on a dolly broke down on the first day of the trip, as we are pulling into the KOA to rest for the night in Grand Junction, CO. The tire strap hit the front passenger brake line. Brake fluid all over the ground. So when I called Ford Roadside Assistance, they were going to send a tow truck for the RV. But…. They don’t cover the car (problem #1). Its OK since we have AAA for the car. (Problem #2), Ford cannot find a Ford dealer nearby that will work on an RV. According to the Rep, Ford Roadside Assistance have a list of contracted Ford dealership where they will tow for FREE, upto 85 miles. Then there was Problem #3. We have 2 dogs in the RV. If our towed car is not broken, then it would have been a lot easier since we can use the car and follow the RV. Talk about bad timing. Broken RV and broken towed car.

We eventually fixed the cause of the RV blinking CEL. We drove the RV to the next exit and parked at Loves gas stop. We found a mobile mechanic. It was a misfire on Cylinder 3. Luckily, i ordered and was carrying with me 8 brand new spark plug wires (based on a post here regarding a Ford TSB). We were back on the road couple of hours later and towed our car to mini cooper in Cincinnati, OH.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:35 AM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm glad that you were able to prevail...
But I am surprised that they didn't charge you for the fuse they replaced...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:02 PM   #31

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Wow Dave, that sounded like some good work on your part to determine the root cause of the breakdown was in fact a warranty repair. Good job and hopefully no more issues.

Paul
Old 07-28-2021, 02:34 PM   #32

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I think having a modern gasoline engine vs a modern diesel engine makes a big difference in unexpected engine failures. Reading the thread from top to bottom I see a few diesel DEF related failures but no gasoline engine failures. Why?

Well I think that the emissions regulations caught the diesel builders flat footed. For many, many years diesels had no emissions controls while gasoline engines went through evolving and tighter emissions regulations starting 65 years ago. Over that period, the gasoline engine builders figured out how to deal with the regulations and today we don't see significant engine failures.

The only period where gasoline engines were seriously impacted was in the late 60s when many car engines had significant driveability issues- stumbling on acceleration, etc. The advent of unleaded gas, EFI and catalytic converters changed all of that for good.

But diesel engine builders have been dealing with strict NOx and particulate emissions for what, only 10-15 years now. They are slowly learning and I would hope in another decade or so the diesel will be as reliable as the gasoline engine. Well we will see.

For now I am glad I have the new Ford V8 gasoline engine in my MH.

David
Old 07-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #33
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I think having a modern gasoline engine vs a modern diesel engine makes a big difference in unexpected engine failures. Reading the thread from top to bottom I see a few diesel DEF related failures but no gasoline engine failures. Why?

Well I think that the emissions regulations caught the diesel builders flat footed. For many, many years diesels had no emissions controls while gasoline engines went through evolving and tighter emissions regulations starting 65 years ago. Over that period, the gasoline engine builders figured out how to deal with the regulations and today we don't see significant engine failures.

The only period where gasoline engines were seriously impacted was in the late 60s when many car engines had significant driveability issues- stumbling on acceleration, etc. The advent of unleaded gas, EFI and catalytic converters changed all of that for good.

But diesel engine builders have been dealing with strict NOx and particulate emissions for what, only 10-15 years now. They are slowly learning and I would hope in another decade or so the diesel will be as reliable as the gasoline engine. Well we will see.

For now I am glad I have the new Ford V8 gasoline engine in my MH.

David
I posted this same info on the Jayco forum and over there they have stories of breaking down with travel trailers and someone who broke down on the side of an interstate with the new Ford V8 and they could not find a Ford repair shop within 85 miles which was the towing limit.

Another person posted about having their TOAD break one day and while having in on a dolly towing the motorhome breaking the next day.

I also remember a post on this forum about a member buying a new Hurricane/Windsport and having a front end issue (I believe spindle and bearings) along I 95 right outside Richmond, VA. They were stuck in a hotel with a number of pets for about a week.

Yes diesels seem to be discussed more as it relates to breakdowns but a Cummins rep told me a couple weeks ago is one reason Cummins incorporates so many shutdown scenarios is to protect the engine which runs around 22K to replace. While a Cummins will shut itself down from overheating a gas engine will blow up before shutting down.

Either way, gas or diesel, they all have breakdowns, some sooner than later, some expected and some unexpected.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-28-2021, 08:47 PM   #34

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Take a deep breath and face the problem that is in front of you with a level head. Else take a short walk to level said head. Rinse repeat as needed. Hot heads never solve anything and in the words of Chris Hadfield, "there is no problem so bad that you cannot make it worse"
Old 07-28-2021, 09:29 PM   #35

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Interesting that Freightliner offers a choice of Detroit or Cummins diesels and Eaton DT 12 speed or Alison 6 speed trans in their class 8 trucks. In their Class 7 trucks (M2 106) the offer Detroit DD-5 and DD-8 with many Eaton auto and manual trans as well as several Cummins 6 speeds. I would think that the DD8 (350 hp and 1160 ftlbs of torque) with the Eaton DT-12 automatic-manual transmission would ideal Super C.
I had a chance ride in the cab of a new Freightliner Cascadia class 8 with the DD13 diesel and Eaton DT-12 trans this spring. It reminded me of the old milk truck I drove in my college years. It that a 6-71 Jimmy, 2 cycle diesel with a 13 speed Roadranger, clutch brake and Eaton electric two speed rear. Nothing like a college kit in a 5,000 gallon, three axle milk truck with a high winding diesel and 24 forward gears. I got good enough that I could get through first 12 gears with using only the air operated clutch brake and not touch the clutch pedal. Good pay from Rowan Dairy at $4.25 an hour no CDL needed. One summer's work paid for two semesters of college.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:34 PM   #36

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If you don’t already know that you can take those frustrations in stride you have no business RVing - or at least no business going on a long trip. It’s just part of the adventure. We got caught in the February deep freeze in Texas with no propane, electricity or water and had to shelter in place in the RV for several days. It was challenging but it worked out and it has passed into our RVing lore and is a great memory.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:22 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
Take a deep breath and face the problem that is in front of you with a level head. Else take a short walk to level said head. Rinse repeat as needed. Hot heads never solve anything and in the words of Chris Hadfield, "there is no problem so bad that you cannot make it worse"
Yup!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:19 PM   #38

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
If you don’t already know that you can take those frustrations in stride you have no business RVing - or at least no business going on a long trip. It’s just part of the adventure. We got caught in the February deep freeze in Texas with no propane, electricity or water and had to shelter in place in the RV for several days. It was challenging but it worked out and it has passed into our RVing lore and is a great memory.
That is one of the great parts of coach rallies. Breakdowns, solutions to equipment failures and interesting places usually dominate the male conversations. The female side usually discusses: coach improvement for livability, packing the coach for convenience, and campgrounds you like.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:15 PM   #39
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Great post. We've lived it a couple times unfortunately...it was a huge pia at the time but we made do, stayed at hotels with our 2 Goldens, took what we could use from refrigerator to use, gratefully they plugged us in otherwise. With the exception of the last time...didn't expect it to be kept. No electricity for over a week. Was NOT a pleasant clean up. But We've rolled with it. Does no good to grumble so make the best of it. On to the next adventure!
Old 07-31-2021, 08:15 PM   #40
Site Team

THOR #1469
Third breakdown in one trip

Broke again. Stopped for fuel in Oakwood IL and also filled the Def tank. Def gauge never changed level. Pulled forward so the truck behind could fuel and the low Def and Check engine lights came on. Found a spot to park and called Freightliner. Talked to Alex at Freightliner and he was surprised there was a CEL without an active fault code.

Alex directed us to Truck Country in Indianapolis and right as we checked in it went into 5MPH derate mode. This place can not look at it until Monday so we are once again in a hotel.

Alex called the shop and told them about our issues and where we were so they were expecting us when we got there.

How do you prepare for 3 breakdowns in one trip. To top it off we are still close to 700 miles from home.