Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2021, 11:26 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
It is not only DEF injection systems that are necessary for diesel engines to control NOx emissions. Many diesels also have soot filters and more importantly soot incineration systems to capture soot and incinerate it. It is the incineration part that causes problems, maybe not so much as DEF though.

Both are usually required to allow diesels to meet current NOx and particulate emission standards.

I hope that these systems malfunctioning are just teething pains for the diesel engine industry. Hopefully they will solve the glitches and diesels will regain their reliability reputation.

David
DEF is only used in heavily loaded diesels. If the diesel is run at part throttle, the EGR will keep the combustion chamber gases low enough, so the the N2 is not dissociated. Small non-turbocharged diesels usually do not require DEF. VW was able to increase the EGR during full throttle in their 2L TDI diesels to pass CA emission laws (2015) in their light vehicles (under 3,300 lbs). The changes did decrease fuel mileage by 2 mpg at speeds above 88 mph and when accelerating with boost above 16 psi. Around town the fuel mileage actually increased, as the modifications required, did include triple the size of the particulate filter and reprogramming the computer.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:32 PM   #62
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Just got back from a 3600 mile/2 week trip in our 7 year old Axis with only 20,000 miles on it.

Left on Friday, on Sunday approaching our exit from the interstate system our check engine light comes on. I figure it is likely just the gas cap as that is very common. Get gas and the cap comes right off "yup must have been it". Try a few key cycles to see if it clears...nope. Go into the gas station asking if they have a code reader: nope (huh?).

Since engine was running ok (all gauges continued to read normal and it was producing power just like before and no additional "noises") we continued on but kept an eye out for some place open where we could get some sort of help (dealership, auto parts store, service, etc.).

Our route takes us into the middle of nowhere: two lane roads where you may see another car once an hour or so. Continuing on the engine starts to surge..!?

I start running through the different scenarios in my head (many mentioned at the beginning of this thread: Where will we leave it, where will we stay, will we continue the trip or just punt and drive the car home--we had a TOAD with us).

Finally find an O'Reilly auto parts store open and have them check the codes (they will do that for free). P0171, and P0174 on our V-10. They basically mean its running lean. According to their database potential causes: MAF (mass-air-flow), fuel pump, air filter, etc. Again going with the low hanging fruit we check the air filter (maybe its clogged or something) and the canister containing the air filter had popped open with a good 1/2" gap allowing unmetered air into the system (and any potential bad objects).

Fortunately for us the engine didn't ingest anything and closing up the air cleaner corrected both the lean condition and the surging issues. So after a good 20 minutes of fighting with the air cleaner (those of you with an E350 or E450 know what I'm talking about ! LOL) and a new code reader so I could clear the codes we were on our way (and continued the trip without further engine issues). (I further confirmed that an open air cleaner can, indeed, cause those codes and the symptoms we were having.)

So we got really lucky that our issue was easily fixable but I'm well aware it could have been worse and was working on various options of what we could do based on different scenarios of what could be wrong.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:05 AM   #63

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
As a retired chemical engineer I take a bit of exception to the description of what DEF is and what it does. It is mostly urea (which is made from ammonia), a common industrial chemical and is injected into the exhaust stream where it reacts with NOx compounds and converts them to less noxious stuff.

In addition to DEF injection, you usually have a particulate filter which traps soot and other small particles. When the filter gets full it has to go through a regeneration or incineration cycle that burns the carbon particles to CO2. Yes the CO2 is a green house gas but apparently the C particles are worse for your health than the CO2 that is produced when they are burned.

David
Old 08-02-2021, 07:17 AM   #64

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
I carry plenty of hand tools and fuses but no parts, and NEVER go on a trip anywhere without the TOAD. That way I can secure my family and go get help w/o being stranded. If we lose the fridge items, so be it.
Gary

GVP
Old 08-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #65
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Well, this time they may have got the repair right. They decided to change the DEF Header.

Now we get to go get our keys and start the RV to allow it and the fridge to cool down for a few hours. Once things are cool we will reload the coach and tomorrow morning resume our travels if we can reclaim our campsite reservation we had changed. If not, we will resume our travels on Wednesday morning.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #66

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hopefully your troubles will remain behind you with no further issues.

Paul
Old 08-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #67
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1627918163
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	60
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	32474  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #68

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
On with the Show
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #69

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hopefully your troubles will remain behind you with no further issues.

Paul
X2
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #70

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

How old is that baby now?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:16 PM   #71
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Medicare age...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #72
Site Team

THOR #1469
Service write up for visit 3

For those that might be interested here is the write up from yesterday.

Scan Aug 3, 2021, 2.35 PM 2.pdf
Old 08-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #73

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Just got back from a 3600 mile/2 week trip in our 7 year old Axis with only 20,000 miles on it.

Left on Friday, on Sunday approaching our exit from the interstate system our check engine light comes on. I figure it is likely just the gas cap as that is very common. Get gas and the cap comes right off "yup must have been it". Try a few key cycles to see if it clears...nope. Go into the gas station asking if they have a code reader: nope (huh?).

Since engine was running ok (all gauges continued to read normal and it was producing power just like before and no additional "noises") we continued on but kept an eye out for some place open where we could get some sort of help (dealership, auto parts store, service, etc.).

Our route takes us into the middle of nowhere: two lane roads where you may see another car once an hour or so. Continuing on the engine starts to surge..!?

I start running through the different scenarios in my head (many mentioned at the beginning of this thread: Where will we leave it, where will we stay, will we continue the trip or just punt and drive the car home--we had a TOAD with us).

Finally find an O'Reilly auto parts store open and have them check the codes (they will do that for free). P0171, and P0174 on our V-10. They basically mean its running lean. According to their database potential causes: MAF (mass-air-flow), fuel pump, air filter, etc. Again going with the low hanging fruit we check the air filter (maybe its clogged or something) and the canister containing the air filter had popped open with a good 1/2" gap allowing unmetered air into the system (and any potential bad objects).

Fortunately for us the engine didn't ingest anything and closing up the air cleaner corrected both the lean condition and the surging issues. So after a good 20 minutes of fighting with the air cleaner (those of you with an E350 or E450 know what I'm talking about ! LOL) and a new code reader so I could clear the codes we were on our way (and continued the trip without further engine issues). (I further confirmed that an open air cleaner can, indeed, cause those codes and the symptoms we were having.)

So we got really lucky that our issue was easily fixable but I'm well aware it could have been worse and was working on various options of what we could do based on different scenarios of what could be wrong.
Glad you found the problem Jamie. You are right about the air filter housing as I have done it a few times in 60k+ miles on the old Vegas. I would rather do 5 oil changes than one air filter change.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:10 PM   #74

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
This thread frightens me! I’m mechanically declined! It’s just me, my toad, and my pup.
If we were to break down, I’d have to decide whether to toad home or find a local hotel. I leave tomorrow for a week at Ft Meade. Short (3hr) drive. I’m planning this winter’s trip to get out of the cold. So far, 30 days near JAX followed by 30 outside New Orleans. I’m still looking for a 30 day stay after NOLA. If anything happens on that trip I can only hope I’m smart and calm enough to get thru it. I’ll certainly ping this forum if, OK - when, I need help.
Thank you all, in advance, for your help!
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:33 PM   #75

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
WearyTraveler:

Given that you have the well proven Ford V10 chassis I don't think you will have any problems that would be due to the engine/transmission. For the coach the one thing that could make you stay in a campground longer than you would like is a failure of the slides to retract.

Study up in the manual for troubleshooting suggestions and manual slide retraction and you should be fine if this rare problem happens.

99% of the glitches that can occur you should be able to live through without drastic measures.

David
Old 08-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #76

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
This thread frightens me! I’m mechanically declined! It’s just me, my toad, and my pup.
If we were to break down, I’d have to decide whether to toad home or find a local hotel. I leave tomorrow for a week at Ft Meade. Short (3hr) drive. I’m planning this winter’s trip to get out of the cold. So far, 30 days near JAX followed by 30 outside New Orleans. I’m still looking for a 30 day stay after NOLA. If anything happens on that trip I can only hope I’m smart and calm enough to get thru it. I’ll certainly ping this forum if, OK - when, I need help.
One thing I learned in engineering school is you do not have to know everything. You have to smart enough to remember where to find the answer. There are pamphlets that come with each accessory than came with coach. If you can't find them, each manufacture as an array of info on their web site. I spent the first 6 months of owning my RV assembling two binders of info. If the is a problem that the first place I look. There are still things I now how to do that I can not do, like change a 100 lb tire. I do know who to call and carry a spare. You just need to develop a plan to handle every conceivable problem and have a plan of attack. Don't act intermediately unless a life is in danger. Take time to think you actions through completely including the possible ramification. Lastly, RVing is a great enjoyable adventure over all, just don't let the bumps, potholes or closed roads deter you enjoying the trip. A positive mental attitude is your greatest asset.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:57 PM   #77

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
I wrote on another thread about a mechanical failure I had with the Use/Store solenoid while in the middle of a 5 day boondocking trip.
When that solenoid failed, my 12v system completely shut down. No lights, no fridge, nothing.

My wife immediately said…”let’s drive home”. I told her to just be calm and wait a minute before we ruin our trip.

So, as others have shared above, the first thing is not to panic, and to begin the process of thinking thru the possibilities.
Also, I immediately used the Forum for members to share their thoughts for a fix.
We decided (the Forum & me) that the solenoid contacts corrode over time, thus not allowing the circuit to make a complete connection.

Bottomline, after about an hour, I was able to isolate the problem/failed solenoid.
I then removed the solenoid and “spliced together” the cables so that the 12v circuit was completed without a Use/Store switch.

It saved our trip.

I ordered a new $35 solenoid from Amazon that was waiting at my door when we arrived home.

PS - I did not rant on this Forum about Thor quality. I just fixed the failed component problem myself
Old 08-04-2021, 09:59 PM   #78
Site Team

THOR #1469
Some good news

After the latest repair we were able to continue with today’s leg being 290 miles. There were no issues.

We will remain here for 2 nights, shortened from the planned 5 and hit the road again on Thursday.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:09 AM   #79

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Hi Dave

Sounds like you are on the road to recovery. Hopefully everything is in the past.

Paul
Old 08-05-2021, 12:12 AM   #80

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
I grew up in WV. WTH is Maysville?