Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2021, 04:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #24719
RV comparisons - 5th wheel vs motorcoach

Here's our take on two types of RVs. We've owned one of each and it's something you may not want to rush into purchasing. It's the main observations that we noted between the two in our experience. You may find it helpful.

Trailer - Crossroads Rezerve 2017 38MD

Type - 5th wheel, 38 ft long

Power - no generator, 50amp/220v service, 2 - 30g propane tanks, removable

Floor plan - 2 bedroom, 1 bunk, 1 bathroom

Furniture - 1 queen bed, 1 full size bed in bunk, 1 queen size fold out bed. Two recliners. 1 dinette with 4 chairs

Kitchen - 1 propane stove, 3 burners and oven. Microwave. Full sized side by side refrigerator with ice maker. 2 compartment sink with quartz countertop located in an island. Pantry for dry goods, plenty of cabinet space.

A/C - 2 units, 1 larger ducted unit for entire trailer. 1 unit for master bedroom. Propane furnace. Electric fireplace heater in main room.

Hot water - electric/propane water heater.

Slide outs - 4 (master bedroom, 2nd bedroom, kitchen, dining/living room)

TVs - 3

Entertainment system with speakers inside and outside

Outdoor kitchen with mini refrigerator, sink, and propane burner

Power awning

Motorcoach - Fourwinds Hurricane 2006 34N

Type - Class A motor coach, 34 ft long

Power - Ford F53 chassis with gas V10. Gas Generac RV 5500 generator. 35g propane tank mounted to frame with auxiliary propane plug in. 50amp/220v service

Floor plan - 1 bedroom, small bar, 1 bathroom, kitchen

Furniture - 1 RV queen bed, 1 full size fold out bed in sofa. 4 seat dinette with bench seats.

Kitchen - 1 propane stove, 3 burners and oven. Microwave. RV freezer/refrigerator unit, dual fuel (electricity/propane). 2 compartment sink with Formica countertops. Slide out pantry and plenty of cabinets.

A/C - 2 units, both ducted units for entire coach. 1 unit for bedroom. Propane furnace.

Hot water - electric/propane water heater.

Slide outs - 3 (bedroom, kitchen, dining/living room)

TVs - 2

Leveling system

Manual awning

Screened in porch

Pros & Cons:

Trailer:

Pros - towable, can drop off and have use of the tow vehicle. Large and comfortable living space. The trailer offered newer conveniences, mainly the larger refrigerator/freezer unit and electric heat, along with a bit more room.

Cons - lack of leveling system, no generator. Kitchen/living/dining is inaccessible with slides are retracted. No generator for boondocking

Coach:

Pros - self contained, Large and comfortable living space. Adequate space with slides retracted, offers full movement throughout. Offers boondocking.

Cons - Need to tow a vehicle or have bicycles while on trips

Old 10-31-2021, 05:54 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Some years ago I had a lightweight, 25' fifth wheel that we camped at USFS and State Parks all over the western states. Twenty years later I bought a new Thor Axis 24.1, a 25' very short Class A motorhome. Here are the differences as I see them:

Roominess- The fifth wheel wins hands down. I removed one of the bench seats to the dinette so I could accommodate a recliner for me and my wife used the slide out couch. The Axis MH even though the same nominal length has less room even when using the passenger seat swiveled around facing aft. The fifth wheel also had a very comfortable Queen bed forward, whereas the Axis only has twins aft.

Driving comfort: Again the fifth wheel wins hands down. i pulled this 5,000 lb fifth wheel with a long wheelbase Ford F150 and it drove like a dream. The Axis drives ok but it is, what can I say, a creaky motorhome.

Maneuverability into a campsite: Here the Axis wins out but marginally. My Axis has a relatively long wheelbase for its size- 188" so its turning radius is long. But it is easy to back up. The fifth wheel could actually turn sharper but backing was obviously more cumbersome with a trailer.

Comfort at a campsite: A toss up. Both are/were very nice to hang out inside on a rainy day. Maybe a plus for the fifth wheel with its recliner and sofa. The Axis does have a generator and although I would never run it overnight, I do run it for a few hours to charge batteries if necessary or use the microwave.

Basement Storage: The Axis has the most storage of any Class C or A of its size. The fifth wheel was good with a front pass through, but no where near the many exterior compartments of the Axis. This is not true of other models of the Axis though.

Gas mileage: The two were pretty close in overall weight, about 11-12,000 lbs loaded ready to go. But the smaller Ford V8 with the fifth wheel and I suspect a smaller frontal area gave it the nod with about 13 mpg. The Axis gets 11.5-12.5.

Price: I paid $80,000 for the Axis in today's dollars. Escalating the cost of the Ford and the fifth wheel to today's dollars gives maybe $75,000 and of course you do have a pickup that you can use without the trailer.

So its a close race, but I would give he edge to the fifth wheel.

But today I can't live with a long base F150 or similar as our family car, so the fifth wheel won't work for us now. I did consider a Chevy Colorado with the diesel and an Escape fifth wheel before I bought the Axis. But the layout of the Escape doesn't do it for me.

David
Old 10-31-2021, 07:00 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Two licensing fees.
Two parking spots.
Two insurance policies.
$80,000 truck if you don't already have one.
Limited fuel stops due to fuel stop limitations.
Tire chains for the adventurous.
Ridiculous added length.
Toll roads by the axle.
Tires.
Having to find a spot, pullover, get oot in the rain or wind to pee ot get a snack
No naps on the road while the spousal unit drives.
Damn map is in the trailer! Pull over...AGAIN!

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:14 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
For us details don’t matter much if you can’t get past the big differences between trailers and motorhomes.

We tried a couple of rental trailers, and for our touring/traveling needs the basics of trailers did not work for us at all. The only way I would consider any trailer is as a base camp and only if towed by a small motorhome.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:37 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #15951
I enjoy my MotorHome and it is easier to setup and take down. When I was trying to decide it was weather I wanted to drive a big truck as a daily driver. I already had a truck but would need something bigger for the fifth wheel I wanted. For me truck + fifth wheel vs. MotorHome pricing was close. The one thing I did not consider was depreciation and resale. The truck would retain its value better than a MotorHome and the trailer was a lower cost so depreciation would be less. Although economically truck and fifth wheel would have been better. I would have still purchased the MotorHome because of how easy it is to back and setup.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:44 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Its close for us but leans a bit towards the motorhome side:
We've had: A hybrid travel trailer, a travel trailer, a 5th wheel, and now the Axis.

The 5th wheel is easier to maneuver than any of the trailers but can't beat the Axis--I can park the Axis just about anywhere.

Our 5th wheel was 31ft and had a huge slide so it likely had twice the interior square footage of the Axis but when we're camping hanging out inside the camper isn't the idea.

Note that with something as small as an Axis/Vegas (or smaller) you can make do without a toad and just drive it around as your sightseeing vehicle (in rare cases its still too big but you could make do). Conversley the Axis/Vegas units are just large enough to tow a vehicle behind if you choose to do so (we've pulled lots of small cars behind ours).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:18 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I think the OP's 5th wheel had two 30 POUND propane tanks, not two 30 gallon propane tanks..

For us, when contemplating a move up from TTs we looked at the price of the 5th wheel PLUS the price of a new truck to pull it VS the price of the MH plus the price of the toad we already owned (still only $15K if we had to buy a new toad) - the MH option won out handily.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:19 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
While not a 5er, here's my perspective from our previous "couples" trailer compared to our current "couples" motorhome.

We started out with a new Grand Design 2150RB pulled by a new 2017 Ford F-150.

2 1/2 years later traded the trailer for a new Chateau 24F.

Cost comparison between the truck/trailer combo vs motorhome was essentially a tossup.

The main reason for switching was the hitching/prep factor, and the self contained motorhome concept.

Last year, I set up to flat tow my (already owned) Jeep Wrangler.

Observations:
Trips in the MH take much less effort to prepare.
Pee/rest/meal stops are MUCH easier.
Having onboard genny is great.
Jeep takes 5 minutes to hitch/unhitch.
Can take or leave Jeep... depends on trip.

Traded towing trailer for towing Jeep ???
Trailer had HUGE bathroom compared to MH.
F-150 more comfortable excursion vehicle.
Trailer 50 gallons water; MH only 40 gallons.
F-150 easier drive than E-350 MH.

Conclusion:
Still happier with MH... the ease of prep with already having all my "junk" in the storage compartments. The alternative with the trailer was to leave the truck bed loaded??? Having a dual purpose truck has pluses and minuses. I just feel it's less work with everything with the motorhome.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:43 AM   #9

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I think I will self disqualify myself from this discussion due to bias; because I couldn't even see the value of making our already owned Cadillac SRX a toad let alone trying to buy a big $%# truck to tow a big $%# 5er. Not to mention, I stopped reading the comparison upon learning the 5er had no generator

I love the fact that I can have a 5 minute restroom break at anytime at any exit and never really have to pull into any service station. I just find a easy access off/on spot off the exit and I am good to go.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:03 AM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A generator is an easy and practical mod to a 5th wheel.
A toilet in the truck is neither easy or practical.
So
Now you can see to poop while the popcorn is in the microwave,
But
It was raining outside and you didn't see the cowpie you stepped in and spread throughout the 5th wheel.
Then
Stepped in it again and dragged it and your wet butt into the truck.
Forgetting you put that generator-popped popcorn on the roof of the truck while you unlocked the door...never.to.be.seen.again.
But
We loved our little toy-hauler.

Now, in the rv it's:
'Hey, I'm hitting the head, then making the bed, be in the left lane 22 miles from now. Try to miss the pot-holes. Fling me off that toilet again and you're dead-meat.
You want popcorn when I come back'?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:31 AM   #11

THOR #16721
First big trip with trailer, we were stuck on I-70 westbound, a traffic accident had blocked the freeway. After 15 minutes of not moving, I gave the helm to the wife... I jumped out in pouring rain, ran back to the trailer for a much needed pee.

Just as I finished, the trailer lurched forward. I had NO cellphone or walkie-talkie for communication. I just sat down on the toilet and hung on. Fortunately, we only moved about a hundred yards... when we stopped I jumped out and ran back to the truck. NOT A FUN EXPERIENCE!!
Old 11-01-2021, 03:52 AM   #12

THOR #24719
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I think I will self disqualify myself from this discussion due to bias; because I couldn't even see the value of making our already owned Cadillac SRX a toad let alone trying to buy a big $%# truck to tow a big $%# 5er. Not to mention, I stopped reading the comparison upon learning the 5er had no generator

I love the fact that I can have a 5 minute restroom break at anytime at any exit and never really have to pull into any service station. I just find a easy access off/on spot off the exit and I am good to go.
Thanks, not really meant for discussion, but some things we learned.

The lack of a generator in the 5th wheel wasn't an issue since we needed a place to live in while our house was being remodeled after Hurricane Harvey. Plus we got something fairly nice and quick. It did serve a purpose after divesting our boats and switching to RVs.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:11 AM   #13

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
For us details don’t matter much if you can’t get past the big differences between trailers and motorhomes.

We tried a couple of rental trailers, and for our touring/traveling needs the basics of trailers did not work for us at all. The only way I would consider any trailer is as a base camp and only if towed by a small motorhome.
My brother use to rent the longer travel trailers and pull with his truck, he would end up by a new Sprinter Custom RV from Midwest RV. I on the other hand use to rent the 40 Diesels, I would end up going with the smaller Class A.

I agree that if you needed the trailer as home or temp home or something it may make more sense. Even at campsites, we rarely hookup and if there is relevant cost deferential, I just get a basic site with no hookups. We just bring the slide in, raise the levelers and go.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
My brother use to rent the longer travel trailers and pull with his truck, he would end up by a new Sprinter Custom RV from Midwest RV. I on the other hand use to rent the 40 Diesels, I would end up going with the smaller Class A.

I agree that if you needed the trailer as home or temp home or something it may make more sense. Even at campsites, we rarely hookup and if there is relevant cost deferential, I just get a basic site with no hookups. We just bring the slide in, raise the levelers and go.

After renting and then owning regular motorhomes, we decided that extra space they provided did not add enough value, and in fact their larger size was a considerable negative. We wanted to travel more like if in a regular car, but still be able to eat, sleep, and have access to clean toilet at any time. And it doesn’t take much space if that’s all you want or need.

We switched to largest van we could get at time that had plenty of towing capability so we could rent and pull a trailer when traveling with others. Turns out that for the two of us alone, renting a trailer for extra space was completely unnecessary because it was way more trouble than benefit it provided over the van by itself.

Bottom line for us is that a tiny motorhome (Class B van camper) provides 80% of benefits with 20% of hassles. Nomad said it well below in these few lines although with new technology an inverter can replace the generator for our needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
......cut.....
Observations:
Trips in the MH take much less effort to prepare.
Pee/rest/meal stops are MUCH easier.
Having onboard genny is great.
.....cut.....

A much larger van than ours with forward-facing seats with shoulder harnesses for two would be perfect for us, particularly if it could tow a small trailer. I know space is tight, but benefits like fuel economy, ease of service and maintenance, easy to drive, quiet, great ride and handling compared to larger motorhomes, drive and park pretty much anywhere, etc. makes it hard to go back to a regular motorhome. Unless it could do all these things and provide more space too.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Last year we got our fist Motorhome after 4 years / ~45K miles towing campers with a truck, the last one a 29ft (35ft hitch to bumber)...
The only reason I had a truck was to tow the camper ~5 times a year...
In our view / experience / use, the Motorhome wins hands down because , we believe, the way we camp:
1 - We are always going far, a typical trip would be 1500 miles.
2 - We don't stay put for more than a week, sometimes a couple of days

Always going far means comfort on long distance legs must be good.
Nothing beats a bed/sofa, refrigerator and bathroom that you can use while on the road. We went from "we need to stop for pee" to "why are we stopping so frequently?"(doing 2 1/2 hours straight legs....
Also, I found that, at least for me, driving a MH is way less stressful than a Truck pulling a big camper.
Setting up a MH at campsite is way easier / less work than a bumper pull...

We solved the space equation by buying a floor plan that have opposite slides.

I don't have a truck anymore and the MH fits the space the camper used to be by our house so I got some of my garage space back...

I'd say bumper pulls and Motorhomes are different products for different uses...
That being said, no technical arguments win over what you like.
If you stay put all the time but like a MH or if you are moving all the time and like a 5er, what is important is what you like.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #16

THOR #16721
Quote:
I don't have a truck anymore and the MH fits the space the camper used to be by our house so I got some of my garage space back...
Even though we now have a motorhome parked where the bumper-pull trailer was, I STILL have my truck. It gets a multitude of uses... haul firewood, mulch, horse manure for the garden, gravel for the MH drive... and it's a very comfortable and roomy daily driver - although I'm now retired - it's more a utility vehicle. Seems like I'm always hauling something that you wouldn't want/or won't fit in a car. And now that we're rural creatures, parking in "the big city" isn't an issue.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Even though we now have a motorhome parked where the bumper-pull trailer was, I STILL have my truck. It gets a multitude of uses... haul firewood, mulch, horse manure for the garden, gravel for the MH drive... and it's a very comfortable and roomy daily driver - although I'm now retired - it's more a utility vehicle. Seems like I'm always hauling something that you wouldn't want/or won't fit in a car. And now that we're rural creatures, parking in "the big city" isn't an issue.
Again, uses and needs.
Wife car could b tow 4 down so it was turned into the car we tow.
I fully understand the usefulness of the truck as a utility vehicle but I work from home and we live in a (small) city so today when I need to haul something bigger I just rent a cargo trailer and tow with wife car ...
If hauling something become a constant need, I'll buy a small cargo trailer...
I loved the truck for the reasons you state but thinking rationally (difficult to say that when you have a MH ) we don't need one...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:15 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1635776108
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floating Your Goat.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	34528  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:28 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
We currently have both...

2018 Keystone Montana 3730FL 5th wheel

and

2019 Thor Vegas 25.5 "Kinda A" motorhome

Both have pluses and minuses. To compare them does not really seem reasonable as we have both which serve very different needs.

The 5th wheel is big, extremely comfortable, pleasant for larger family to stay in for long periods of time, no need to break down camp to drive somewhere. It serves as our let's land at a certain location, setup and relax unit. Closet to home living while away from home. Slow down and enjoy.

The Vegas is smaller, more maneuverable, wife feels comfortable driving, weekend getaway rig, youth sports tailgating machine, family road trip vehicle, occasional office or school work station when someone needs to focus, quick and simple. It is like a really small apartment for the family where living isn't the primary focus, rather basic needs - going, going, going

Both fulfill different needs. It's like a sedan and a pickup. Both offer transportation but also offer very different abilities / qualities.

Life is short...get out and enjoy [emoji846]Click image for larger version

Name:	20190725_210107.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	34530Click image for larger version

Name:	20200730_194439.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	34531
Old 11-01-2021, 05:28 PM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
We currently have both...

2018 Keystone Montana 3730FL 5th wheel

and

2019 Thor Vegas 25.5 "Kinda A" motorhome

Both have pluses and minuses. To compare them does not really seem reasonable as we have both which serve very different needs.

The 5th wheel is big, extremely comfortable, pleasant for larger family to stay in for long periods of time, no need to break down camp to drive somewhere. It serves as our let's land at a certain location, setup and relax unit. Closet to home living while away from home. Slow down and enjoy.

The Vegas is smaller, more maneuverable, wife feels comfortable driving, weekend getaway rig, youth sports tailgating machine, family road trip vehicle, occasional office or school work station when someone needs to focus, quick and simple. It is like a really small apartment for the family where living isn't the primary focus, rather basic needs - going, going, going

Both fulfill different needs. It's like a sedan and a pickup. Both offer transportation but also offer very different abilities / qualities.

Life is short...get out and enjoy [emoji846]Attachment 34530Attachment 34531
So do you pull the 5th wheel with the Vegas?

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote