Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2022, 03:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
You'll want to inspect under your RV after looking at this!

I decided to remove my stationary seats and install power. While running the wires under the coach (in a wire loom), I happen to see all these wires pinched between the body and the frame. I was in DISBELIEF!!! It was more like ARE YOU F#*(&(ing KIDDING ME??? SERIOUSLY??

It doesn't take a genius to know that this is an accident waiting to happen...if you're lucky, the fuses will blow, if you're slightly not so lucky, the wires will fry...and if you're really unlucky, the wires short out, the wires fry and your coach catches on fire.

The first question that came to my mind was "who in the F#@& woud do something like this, and where in the hell is Thors quality assurance/inspector?????

I had a hell of a time getting these wires free...I used a short pry bar, clamps, and brought out the special tool...a railroad spike and hammered that between the chassis and the body to free the wires...I also use a spray bottle filled with dish soap to help the wires slide out. To get these wires out, it was a real pain and took half the day. Instead of running wiring for my power seats, I was trying to free these wires.

While under the coach I inspected other areas, and there were so many wires laying right on top of metal edges, just hanging with no support (zip-ties), and wires running up inside the coach with no insulation (expanding foam). Seriously, someone couldn't shoot some spray foam in the holes?? This would have made a nice home for a rat or mouse.

I'm just glad I found this piss-poor manufacturing by Thor before I was out in the middle of nowhere and smelling smoke.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinch1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	39699

Name:	pinch2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	39700

Name:	pinch3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	39701

Name:	pinch4.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	39702

Old 10-12-2022, 03:24 AM   #2

THOR #3923
Couple of more. As you can see these wires are running up into the coach (to the switches next to the steps) that control the "use/store, lights, awning, step, etc).

Name:	pinch5.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	39703

Name:	pinch6.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	39704
Old 10-12-2022, 05:07 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Some things never change with a Thor controlled manufacturing process
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:09 AM   #4

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Some things never change with a Thor controlled manufacturing process
What I'm just dumbfounded is...how does something like this leave the factory?? Isn't anyone inspecting the workmanship...quality control??
Old 10-12-2022, 08:09 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Something like this is not surprising at all. I've had two Thor coaches now and have seen stuff like this on both of them.... because there is no formal Quality Control and workmanship is nonexistent.

I've fixed so may wiring issues, I've lost track.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:05 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Congratulations! You’re now customizing the coach to your own specs. Glad u found the issues before they found you.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:39 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Unfortunately I have fixed or replaced dozens of wiring harnesses on brand new trucks because of wire routing issues, even on my own mh when he pulled into a fuel stop and the chassis flexed on the steep drive and all of my dash gauges went dent and the def red light came on, and a error of no j1939 data displayed, the factory zip tied the harness to the chassis module to the frame to tight and the flexing pulled the plug loose out of the module, luckily nothing got damaged
Old 10-12-2022, 01:36 PM   #8

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Our Axis has a fairly high level of quality control.

Our dealer clearly said to search youtube and forums if we have any issues.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:05 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
We purchased our 2018 Freedom Elite 30FE, slightly used, in the fall of 2018. During our pre-purchase inspection, we checked the propane portion of the hot water heater but didn’t wait to see if the electric side of the water heater was working.
On our first camping trip, we had to use propane to heat water because the electric element didn’t seem to be working.
When I finally had time to troubleshoot the problem, I found the the red wire to the water heater was pinched between the water heater mounting bracket and structure. The shorted wire had actually burnt through.
This had to be the way the camper came from the factory. Obviously they never operational checked the water heater when the camper was built and it had never worked since the camper was built
Repairing it was easy. Getting to the problem required removing the oven.
Another example of Thor quality.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:14 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
I've found similar problems on cars/trucks and motorcycles. Sometimes it's bad design, sometimes bad assembly.. fix and move on.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:54 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #2121
In my opinion the number of people who may or may not be willing to pay for an item does not justify poor quality as depicted above. That is looking at issue in reverse.

There needs to be a minimum build quality standard and if a buyer can’t afford it when built correctly, let them buy a lesser RV at the price point they can actually afford or are willing to pay.

The real issue is that the vast majority of the buying population does not know enough to inspect and find many quality problems; assuming they can be seen at all. I have seen 100s of buyers at RV shows buying RVs that never crawled under unit to inspect anything. Most won't and wouldn’t know much even if they did. And yeah, they can hire an inspector, but why should they have to on a new RV?

While I am conservative in business, and believe in free markets, my engineering background leads me to think that the “buyer beware” approach is not sufficient to guarantee RV quality assurance. Unregulated competition between builders will lead to crappy and or unsafe products.

If it takes $180,000 to build a $150,000 RV correctly, so be it. What we need most is minimum regulations to make sure that some manufacturer won’t try to undercut others by building crap that looks good, but would take an expert to know the difference.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:50 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
The motorhome in question may be entry level, but I don’t consider a vehicle that lists for over $100,000 cheap. As with any product, there is an expectation of a certain level of quality. Poorly made cabinets may meet a lower expectation, but potentially dangerous electrical issues that could cause additional failures should be considered a high quality item by ANY manufacturer, regardless of price.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:40 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
These types of threads really get my blood boiling. There are way to many people on this forum that always blame the buyer and excuse everything Thor does not do at the factory. I have had my Thor since 2018 and continue to find poor assembly items. Just because the coach was less expensive than others is no excuse for Thor being a shite manufacturer. Early this year, I purchased the cheapest Kia Soul manufactured for the model year to be a new toad. It has zero manufacturing defects. This month, I purchased the cheapest small pickup on the market. A WT model Chevy Colorado. It has zero manufacturing defects. The RV industry sells products that are purchased by people who have disposable income. They are not purchased by people living near or below the poverty level. The RV industry also has zero government oversight. No one in a government post gives a flip about rich people buying RVs. As such, we only have each other to help us thru our RV woes. It is not helpful for people on this forum to blame the buyer and excuse Thor. It is even worse when site team members belittle and castigate posters about Thor's lack of quality.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 02:04 PM   #14

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Thor does not have a monopoly on building smaller super C on the F550 chassis. Renegade makes the Veracruz, Dynamax makes the Isata 5 on the Ram 5500 chassis. Not sure about Nexus but they have smaller too. Guess what thor charges as much or more than Renegade for thor's vastly inferior product. I haven't had the opportunity to view an Isata 5 but owner reports are generally good. In the Isata and Veracruz, there are no complaints of the cap falling off, engine fumes leaking into the cab while driving from lack of sealing between cab and body. The thor Deception, er I mean Inception is probably as poorly built as the Omni/Magnitude lines. After experiencing the absolute dismal quality of the omni there is no way I would even consider the deception. If anyone here didn't know they bought an entry level, cheaply made RV then that is on them for not researching. Yes I was one who was duped and that was pointed out to me but I don't need a safe space to hide in and expect everyone to "be nice" by my interpretation of "nice".

You are going to be fixing factory issues for as long as you own it. I don't call them factory errors, because they are nto. Those issues are there because thor put them there in their selection of the lowest quality components and horrid designs. You may think the plan is ideal but wait till you can't flush the toilet because of the location and design of the black tank. You'll figure that one out too someday and then rant about the poop pile.

Go back and read this and other forums. That way you won't be surprised at the events as they happen. Just remember, it is entry level, it is cheaply made with the lowest quality materials, but it's yours now. Enjoy.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #15

THOR #2121
There is a difference between “cheaply” built/made (lower cost) and poorly/incorrectly made.

When a buyer looks to buy a Ford pickup truck, he/she can spend over $100,000 on a loaded luxury Super Duty or spend a quarter the amount on an entry-level Maverick pickup — starting price under $25,000. Obviously a much cheaper Maverick is a completely different truck than a Super Duty, but lack of content, size, and capabilities does not mean it is poorly built.

Can’t the same be said for a $100,000 motorhome versus $400,000? The cheaper entry-level unit may not have diesel power, full-body paint, dual air conditioners, aluminum wheels, leather seats, lithium batteries, dual slides, and so on, but like a Maverick pickup at a quarter the price, it can have acceptable and reasonable quality of design, materials, and build.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:53 PM   #16

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
It can and is by other manufacturers but not by thor. A Thor Omni/magnitude is actually priced higher than a similar Renegade Veracruz and Dynamax Isata 5. What do you get for that higher pricing. Well the thor shareholders thank you for contributing to their portfolio.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:20 PM   #17
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
OK folks, moderator hat on. A number of posts have been removed from this thread.

Please remember :
  • All members (including moderators) are expected to post in polite, helpful ways and refrain from snarky, trolly posts. If you see a post that is a problem please use the report post button to get some help but don't respond in kind - it only amps up the drama.
  • It's ok to disagree with others but do it politely; make your point (once) and then move on.
  • It's also OK to post critically of Thor but again, concrete issues and concerns are needed not just random "this product rots" rants.
  • Forum moderators and the forum are unaffiliated with THOR Inc.

To the OP - I'm sorry you are having trouble with your rig and hope that folks can weigh in with useful advice about how to proceed or suggestions for repair.

Old 10-14-2022, 09:22 PM   #18

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Old 10-15-2022, 05:22 PM   #19

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Old 10-15-2022, 05:44 PM   #20

THOR #3923
I'm just glad that I found these pinched wires while I was running the power under the coach and just following the existing runs. It took some doing to get them "un-pinched" and after I did, I carefully inspected the wires to see if any were exposed...thankfully none were. It would have been just a matter of time that these would have shorted out.

Power seats are installed...and I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW what a difference! It's so nice to adjust the height, back/forth, and I really like the tilt. They are heated seats, but I didn't connect up the those wires for two reasons; one is that I'm afraid that the button will accidently get pressed and drain my battery, and the second is, I don't think I'd ever use it. Who knows...maybe I'll change my mind down the road (no pun intended).