Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2017, 03:13 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Your Favorite Road Trip!

We are all blessed to have the opportunity to enjoy the camping lifestyle -whether your rig is ancient, new, big, or small.

Share with us your favorite road trip.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:53 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
I just completed my longest and best trip ever in a motor home...5672 miles....to San Francisco via I-40 and I-5 and then via the Pacific Coast Highway to Los Angeles, Route 66 all the way back to St. Louis and then home from there. I've been an RVer for decades, but mostly short trips or to NASCAR races or tailgating. We are already planning our next Coast-to-Coast trip for this summer.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Early fall we went Illinois to Dauphin Island, Alabama then worked our way around the Gulf to Cedar Keys, Fl. with three RV parks on the way 17 days on the beautiful white beaches of Florida. We then topped it off at Fort Wilderness Disney. Great parks, beaches, food and met some great people. Next up California up to Seattle back thru Yellowstone.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
So many, hard to choose just one: I guess my two favorites would be:
  • Our now defunct annual trip to Cadillac, MI hunting Morels
  • Our many trips to Hocking Hills, OH
Yeah neither is just a single road trip but all are fun with family or at a favorite location.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:38 PM   #5

THOR #2025
Our first trip was to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Many of our suburban neighbors told us we were crazy. Many of our family members thought we had gone insane.

We hit the road with our two kids in a small class C. Our first campsite was in West Virginia alongside a river. Folks were out fishing and relaxing. Once we got settled at the campsite, I looked around and said, "Wow, this is what we've been missing all these years."

We arrived at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park after a few days on the road. Seeing the park on TV or in a calendar did absolutely no justice to the real thing. It was an incredible road trip and the entire family loved it!

This trip was a turning point for us. Every break we got from school and work, we tried to plan a road trip. Now, our suburban neighbors are envious of our mode of vacationing. Family members now ask, "is there room for us on your next road trip."
Old 01-18-2017, 10:08 PM   #6

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Our favorite was our first 14,000 mile four month trip - three and a half years ago - from Florida to Alaska up the Alcan Highway thru Skagway and the ferry to Haines, then to Fairbanks, Anchorage, Seward and Homer on the kenai Penninsula. Home was up to Chicken and across the "top of the world highway" to Dawson City and then down Route 37 to Hyder, Alaska and across Canadian Route 16 in our Vegas. We liked it so much we did it again a year and a half ago in our Vegas.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:25 AM   #7

THOR #2025
These stories are terrific!

Keep them coming folks!
Old 01-19-2017, 01:19 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6009
Not the longest, but one of most memorable, was a trip to Mammoth Cave in KY. My son was driving. He went with the GPS and got off 65 south way too early. It was dark. We were lost! The wife and I, my son; his wife and two grandkids spent the night literally in the middle of nowhere. It was amazing! The next morning we discovered we would have to backtrack about 45 miles to Mammoth cave or we could take the Green River Ferry. The Ferry operator let us on(normally no RV's) because he wasn't busy. The grandkids loved it and I put that down as an experience I never anticipated.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:48 AM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Our favorite was our first 14,000 mile four month trip - three and a half years ago - from Florida to Alaska up the Alcan Highway thru Skagway and the ferry to Haines, then to Fairbanks, Anchorage, Seward and Homer on the kenai Penninsula. Home was up to Chicken and across the "top of the world highway" to Dawson City and then down Route 37 to Hyder, Alaska and across Canadian Route 16 in our Vegas. We liked it so much we did it again a year and a half ago in our Vegas.
That sounds like one awesome trip.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:54 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
On the road again

We start just about every trip singing on the road again. Our longest and best was 9100 miles. California to the Keys then Canada and back home. Two months and lots of side trips, lots of good memories.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:08 AM   #11

THOR #2025
Side trips are the best! We have come across a lot of amazing places just "shooting from the hip."
Old 01-19-2017, 03:09 AM   #12

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
This is one phenomenal trip! 14K!

I think you have everyone beat!
Old 01-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #13

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
This is one phenomenal trip! 14K!

I think you have everyone beat!
I don't disagree at all with this. That must have been a really great trip. But, I feel like we are all winners when we take our RV out on a short, one day trip or a month long journey or more to somewhere we've never been. Getting out, enjoying nature's beauty, fellowship with other campers and making beautiful memories is what it's all about.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
I don't disagree at all with this. That must have been a really great trip. But, I feel like we are all winners when we take our RV out on a short, one day trip or a month long journey or more to somewhere we've never been. Getting out, enjoying nature's beauty, fellowship with other campers and making beautiful memories is what it's all about.
I agree with all of this, but sadly my 14 year old son does not. He ascribes to Sheldon Cooper's take on things (Big Bang Theory):
Quote:
If outdoors is so great, why has man spent so much time inventing indoors?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
First year RVs

June 2016:
Chattanooga to Woodland Park CO. mostly on I-40.
I-84 to Portland OR. I-90 to Glacier National Park.
I-15, I-70, US 50 to Colorado Springs.
I-70 back to Tennessee.
24 days, 6200 miles, 8.5 mpg.
Most all campgrounds
Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #16
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
w

in 1980...we made our first extended camping trip on our new Yamaha 1100 dresser with trailer. We traveled backroads through Nebraska seeing offroad sites we never guessed we visit...entered the Badlands from the South and visited a small town which, in National Geographic, boasted having the oldest saloon in the west complete with sawdust floors and bullet holes in the walls and ceiling....from there, we followed the southern border of the Badlands to Mt. Rushmore...oh my, I still remember catching my first glance of Rushmore through the tunnel road...Custer State Park...moving on...circling north then south..Eye of the Needle/Crazy Horse/Devils Tower...Custers Battlefield...then to Bozman, MT...covered every inch of Yellowstone ...white water river rafting on Gallatin River...south through Jackson Hole...Flaming Gorge...Vernal, Utah..
Dinosaur National Monument...across Northern Colorado..Sulphur Springs, Central City,(visiting all sights) up to Boulder...down to Royal Gorge..7 Falls, Garden of Gods...across KS...home...
We traveled just short of 4500 miles...saw so many awesome sights..
we tent camped most of the time...spent a few nights in cabins...
We have had many extended trips over the years...but, this was the first time we traveled just to sight see ! This trip will always be most memorable as it began our desire to travel and see our beautiful Continent !
****one summer we traveled to Seattle...gone 2 weeks...came home..did laundry, etc...reloaded and traveled to Ft. Lauderdale to see kids !...
...across the country diagonally !! This was when we had our van conversion..
Sooooo many great trips over the years !!

We have an OLD Road Atlas in which I have highlighted every road we have traveled in North America & Canada.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #17

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Yes indeed. We are all blessed to enjoy the outdoors as campers.

When we take short road trips, we eaves drop on the conversations between our 7 year old son and our 9 year old daughter. They talk about all their memories as campers. It's a beautiful thing.

I just hope that they don't get too cool to go RVing with mom and dad
Old 01-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #4397
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I agree with all of this, but sadly my 14 year old son does not. He ascribes to Sheldon Cooper's take on things (Big Bang Theory):

That is what I like about RVs ... taking the indoors into outdoors!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb
We have an OLD Road Atlas in which I have highlighted every road we have traveled in North America & Canada.
I have a "new road Atlas" with our travels marked: its called Google Maps. I keep that map up to date as much as possible. It includes the hotels we've stayed at, KOAs we've camped at, non-KOA campgrounds we've stayed at, and the current baseball stadium count--oh yeah and which Rocket Fizz stores we've visited LOL.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:51 AM   #20

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
My favorite road trip starts every time I get behind the wheel!!!