Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Your suggestions are welcome

We are picking up our new Vegas 25.3 on Friday. We plan to use the unit 100+ days per year, with multiple long, even coast-to-coast trips. Our goal is to travel, and we do not intend extended camping or living in our unit.

If you were in this situation, what are the first modifications and changes (if any) that you would have done to your coach?

Also, other than the standard supplies that we all have, what is the one unusual thing that you would never leave home without?

Thanks

Old 11-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
I never leave home without a good (read Progressive Industries or similar) surge protector, (hard wired or portable) also this to check pedestals before hooking up power.
RV Campground Voltage Tester Protects Your RV

Yes they are rather spendy but... much cheaper than the cost of replacing all the electronics in the coach.....
( don't ask how I know this....LOL)
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut
Our goal is to travel, and we do not intend extended camping or living in our unit.
I take this to mean that you'll be moving a lot; never staying in one place more than a few days? Possibly boondocking a bit as you stay in campgrounds or stops without hookups? (We use ours primarily for sight seeing stopping mostly in full hook-up campgrounds and using it as a base to see an area.)

If you were to do a lot of stops without hookups: more batteries and solar would be essential (neither of which we have).

The thing I usually never leave without is something simple that is never really mentioned on the site here: A camera. I don't think we've ever gone anywhere in the Axis without the DSLR along for the ride. Second from that: A tablet or a laptop (usually multiple devices with each of us having at least two! LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
A 50 amp to 30 amp adapter dog bone. This way you are always covered if the park only has 50 amp on their pedestal.

Here is a link to a Owners' Manual I compiled with others on the Thor Forum. There are checklists for setting up, Tearing down, equipping, essentials, winterizing, storing, and an owners' guide with far more Vegas/Axis relevant information than Thor provided in their generic manual.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #5

THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I never leave home without a good (read Progressive Industries or similar) surge protector, (hard wired or portable) also this to check pedestals before hooking up power.
RV Campground Voltage Tester Protects Your RV

Yes they are rather spendy but... much cheaper than the cost of replacing all the electronics in the coach.....
( don't ask how I know this....LOL)
Thanks for the suggestions. I never plug in electronics without a surge protector...I too learned the hard way, lol. I sincerely appreciate the info about the tester...I will have one before I hit the road again.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #6

THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I take this to mean that you'll be moving a lot; never staying in one place more than a few days? Possibly boondocking a bit as you stay in campgrounds or stops without hookups? (We use ours primarily for sight seeing stopping mostly in full hook-up campgrounds and using it as a base to see an area.)

If you were to do a lot of stops without hookups: more batteries and solar would be essential (neither of which we have).

The thing I usually never leave without is something simple that is never really mentioned on the site here: A camera. I don't think we've ever gone anywhere in the Axis without the DSLR along for the ride. Second from that: A tablet or a laptop (usually multiple devices with each of us having at least two! LOL).
Thanks, I would like to investigate more battery power vs solar power, if you have any suggested sites I could review. And as for the camera, I never leave home without my Nikon D5300...one of the joys of touring for me is the photography.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #7

THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
A 50 amp to 30 amp adapter dog bone. This way you are always covered if the park only has 50 amp on their pedestal.

Here is a link to a Owners' Manual I compiled with others on the Thor Forum. There are checklists for setting up, Tearing down, equipping, essentials, winterizing, storing, and an owners' guide with far more Vegas/Axis relevant information than Thor provided in their generic manual.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
Yep...I have the adapter...now...after spending two hours driving around Michigan trying to find one late at night about four years ago. I only had to use it that one time, but I still carry it everywhere I go.

And I've been reading the manual...not through it yet, but I will be...you are to be commended for taking the time to produce this for the community.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:35 AM   #8

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
We put 25000 miles on our Vegas in two years and 10000 miles on our new Axis this year (10 months) with a four month trip to Alaska, three month trip to eastern Canada and two month trip to Colorado and Utah. Sounds like you plan to use your Axis as we have used ours with traveling trips staying in one location for less than a week and moving on. All the above tips are good ones. If I could add two more things that I would not be without - (1) a Tire Minder or like system which monitors the heat and pressure in your tires. An absolute must for your safety and peace of mind if you plan to drive lots of miles. (2) a Clean Dump or similar system to empty out your holding tanks. If you are going to move every few days they you will dump your holding tank two or three times a week. The Clean Dump system will allow you to do that messy, smelly job in 10 minutes with no mess, no smell and no clean up. I have pulled into Dump stations with another RV at the same time and I am done before he gets his hose hooked up. As many times as you will Dump, believe me, it will be worth the several hundred dollars to you. The Axis is a great RV to do what you want to do. We have never pulled a toad because it is one cord and we are hooked or unhooked. No cords if we are dry camping. And with its 25' length, you can get in almost anywhere. With our National Park Golden Age pass we found lots of campgrounds in National Parks and National Forests for 4-10 dollars a night. Have a great time! Hope to see you out there somewhere.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:43 AM   #9

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
One other thing that I would not leave home without is a tire inflator that will top off your tires. I have a small 120v one that takes some time to top up the tires, but it is small and does work. I just fire up the generator if I am somewhere without shore power and add a few pounds of air when my TIre Minder says I am low. The air pumps at most gas stations are not powerful enough to get you up to 80 lbs and if is a pain to go find a place when you need air. I have used mine innumerable times on my trips.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:50 AM   #10
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
I never leave home without my DSLR & small pocket Canon cameras...& GoPro..
a small clipon fan is great to have, when a/c is not necessary. ..
Several movies and tablet/computer....paracord (can be used as clothes line, among other things)
remember your charge cords and I always bring along a charging brick just in case......
Get a cutting board to cover your sink...it gives you much needed counter space.
AND...ALL THE OTHER THINGS EVERYONE ELSE HAS MENTIONED !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:04 PM   #11

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Unsure of you level of RV experience, but these are our "must have" items: (1) surge protection (2) up to 40' of sewer hose (3) 25' extension for 50amp (4) air compressor to handle up to 140psi (5) current Trucker's Atlas. I have tons of tools and other stuff on board, but too much to list. We always try to be prepared for those "strange" CG hook-ups that you may run into.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:44 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Agree with all that has been said. We take a small ceramic heater on most trips. When we have shore power, we use their electricity instead of the coach;s LP gas.

Someone mentioned a power cord extension, which we take, and we also take extra fresh water hose. Sometimes one 20 footer isn't enough.

You might also want a ladder. I really like the 6 foot folding ladder, which fits in the pass through between the two front storage bays. It folds to 3 1/2 inches. Since the 25.2 has no rear ladder, I carry a telescoping 12.5 foot aluminum ladder. (This one can be found much cheaper online than at RV stores.)

Here is one source for each: 6' Compact Folding Step Ladder - GP Logistics SLD-S6 - Ladders - Camping World
and
https://www.amazon.com/Telescopic-Te...apsible+ladder
Old 12-06-2016, 02:35 AM   #13

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
spare tire and wheel.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You should have a good working knowledge of how everything works, where the switches, knobs, and buttons are, and what they do. Also know where all your fuses are located and have spares, most coaches have fuses in more than one location.

Personally I am a strong believer in checklists. You can make your own based on your particular coach and needs, can save some expensive mistakes.