Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #16919
God Bless Our Military

Our Military deserves better than this...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...h-15167883.php

Signed, Accused California Snowflake

2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #42

State: Florida
THOR #12206
We are but in the 1st inning of a double header. Amelia Island emptied out last week after the beaches were closed however our island home was invaded by over 25,000 car show fans just a week prior. Nice. I guess no one ever heard charity begins at home. Friday begins Fl. statewide lock down~~~for a month. I only hope the criminal element also gets the memo.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
I live in SE Texas about 30 miles from the Louisiana border. We had our second death from Covid yesterday. We have had around 30 cases in the area. The circumstances surrounding the two deaths and some of the illnesses are a little scary. The first man who died last week was the band director at a high school. He also was a trumpet player in our local Symphony as well as a member of a band that performed on March 14th at a local restaurant/club frequented by older people. Last week a good friend let us know her sister and brother-in-law were both diagnosed with Covid. Her sister was in the hospital for only a few days, but her brother-in-law is still in the hospital on a ventilator. They were both at the restaurant/club during the performance on March 14th. Our second death yesterday was a well known jeweler in town. His store was just a few doors down in the same shopping strip as the club. It’s very unsettling for me. I’m doing curbside pickup for groceries. I did have to get gasoline yesterday and I bathed in hand sanitizer after getting in my car. I hope everyone stays safe!

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:33 PM   #44

Model: Aria 3401
State: Idaho
THOR #17078
Idaho

I live right across the border from Spokane WA. Idaho has almost 800 cases with 9 deaths. Almost half of the cases are from Blaine county which is a major ski resort area. They suspect virus was a gift left behind by traveling skiers. My county, Kootenai is only showing 37 cases with no deaths, and 2 hospitalized. Our governor put a stay at home order out on March 15. We are afraid that Spokane, which is the biggest city in the Northwest, might start having high numbers and spread it our way since people are still moving around a lot in both WA and ID, but so far their numbers are pretty low.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:03 PM   #45

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley Dilley View Post
Our Military deserves better than this...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...h-15167883.php

Signed, Accused California Snowflake
The Secretary of Defense has been aware of the situation for more than four days. The outbreak is the reason CVN-71 is docked in Guam rather than steaming home to San Diego. The Navy base is small on the tip of the 210 sq mile island. The AF base (Anderson) is on the other end of the Island. Where are about 180,000 civilians between the two bases.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:14 PM   #46
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabs4 View Post
I live in SE Texas about 30 miles from the Louisiana border. We had our second death from Covid yesterday. We have had around 30 cases in the area. The circumstances surrounding the two deaths and some of the illnesses are a little scary. The first man who died last week was the band director at a high school. He also was a trumpet player in our local Symphony as well as a member of a band that performed on March 14th at a local restaurant/club frequented by older people. Last week a good friend let us know her sister and brother-in-law were both diagnosed with Covid. Her sister was in the hospital for only a few days, but her brother-in-law is still in the hospital on a ventilator. They were both at the restaurant/club during the performance on March 14th. Our second death yesterday was a well known jeweler in town. His store was just a few doors down in the same shopping strip as the club. It’s very unsettling for me. I’m doing curbside pickup for groceries. I did have to get gasoline yesterday and I bathed in hand sanitizer after getting in my car. I hope everyone stays safe!

Pam

And that's the scary part of this: spreading it by infected people that don't know they're infected.

BTW: YOU have hand sanitizer???? Worse than TP on any shelf in any store I've been in. At least TP has been available on occasion. Also, no isopropyl alcohol or hydrogen peroxide either. Everclear and grain alcohol MIA as well.

Think there would be more alcohol available if we stopped putting it in gas?

My youngest son is head of research and production of a company that creates and produces over the counter vitamins and other none-FDA supplements. As soon as this became a thing they created and sold as much hand sanitizer as they could produce, a lot of it going to industrial cleaning companies. Now they almost can't get the major ingredient (alcohol) which they use to keep their other production environments clean so they have had to reduce the production of "for sale" sanitizer.

I was able to procure enough of the raw ingredients locally here to make sanitizer for my family's use before they went non-existent so we should be set. Lotsa recipes for homemade sanitizer on the interweb and lotsa people tell us:

1: Don't use homemade sanitizer, and
2: Don't rely on hand sanitizer to kill the virus (even though those same people are the ones that have pushed the sanitizing wipes in supermarkets at the cart corral, and in every hospital room, cruise ship, buffet line, etc ib the last decade).

Sure, doing the full hand wash is always a better solution but that solution is not always available.

And the key to homemade hand sanitizer is that no matter what recipe yo use, you must insure it is at least 80% alcohol. So rubbing alcohol (70% to begin with, and less) ain't gonna cut it. 95% isopropyl alcohol or 100% grain alcohol is the base ingredient and you can't dilute the alcohol percentage to less than 80% when you add your oils, aloe vera, Propylene Glycol , etc.

BTW: we are static in our county still with only 3 cases. The county to the west has blossomed with 7 cases, 2 hospitalized (in our county). The next county west has 2 cases, both women, 23 & 66 with one hospitalized.

At this point there are only 9 out of 67 counties in Florida with 0 cases; another 13 with 3 cases or less, and 2 with 4 cases.

92% of the confirmed cases in Florida are in 4 counties, 3 of those adjacent to each other. Our death rate is 1.6% and the age distribution across the state looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-02_1514.png
Views:	84
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	23126  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #47
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The Secretary of Defense has been aware of the situation for more than four days. The outbreak is the reason CVN-71 is docked in Guam rather than steaming home to San Diego. The Navy base is small on the tip of the 210 sq mile island. The AF base (Anderson) is on the other end of the Island. Where are about 180,000 civilians between the two bases.
Ima gonna put on my big boy military panties here and piss off some people. I may not have always had this viewpoint when I was the one being trained, but in retrospect:

The Captain of that ship can kiss his career goodbye.
What is the purpose of a peacetime military? - To train to be ready for the "big fight".
That includes being ready to care for your wounded during the fight.
An aircraft carrier is a floating city with an onboard hospital.
There are (round numbers) 5000 HEALTHY adults with no underlying medical problems on a carrier.
He has 100 sick people that can be easily isolated and cared for on that vessel - but how did he let it get to be 100??
He has the ability to requisition and receive by air any additional supplies he may need.
He has the ability to medivac by air any individual or group that becomes critical to a military hospital.
He is a long way from crying for help from the media and public. He is a long way from having a war-ready ship.

Retired Navy, Submarine Force, 20 Years, Nuclear Trained Engineering Watch Supervisor, Nuclear Instructor
Old 04-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #48

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Ima gonna put on my big boy military panties here and piss off some people. I may not have always had this viewpoint when I was the one being trained, but in retrospect:

What is the purpose of a peacetime military? - To train to be ready for the "big fight".

There are (round numbers) 5000 HEALTHY adults with no underlying medical problems on a carrier.

He has 100 sick people that can be easily isolated and cared for on that vessel - but how did he let it get to be 100??

He has the ability to requisition and receive by air any additional supplies he may need.

He has the ability to medivac by air any individual or group that becomes critical to a military hospital.

He is a long way from crying for help from the media and public. He is a long way from having a war-ready ship.

Retired Navy, Submarine Force, 20 Years, Nuclear Trained Engineering Watch Supervisor, Nuclear Instructor

Couldn’t have said it better. The captain of the ship is responsible for the crew. He has all the resources available to him to do so. My blood boiled when I read this news report. I would never want to serve under his command.

11 year Navy combat vet. Tin-can sailor (targets to you). Was in Beirut in the 80’s.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:59 PM   #49

Model: Aria 3401
State: Idaho
THOR #17078
Idaho

I agree with the last 2 commenters but would like to add a reply to Dilly Dilly. Why do you keep posting negative news on this thread that are off topic? It is really nice to hear what is going on in people’s own communities. We can all get the other stuff from the news the same as you. I want this thread to keep going as we all go through lock down and we’ll never make it if this thread becomes political.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:58 PM   #50

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Here is my update from San Antonio, Blue Skies of Texas - West (708 old folks in a Life Care Community with an average age of 80 years and 2 months). We in independent living are to have no direct contact with the staff. Meals are delivered to the door once a day (few choices). All staff is check-in each day and temperature taken when the come through the gate. No visitors or perspective residents. The only open gate is manned 24 hours a day. No group larger the 10 residents but they should remain 6 ft away from each other. All social and exercise gatherings are postponed indefinitely. The indoor pool and exercise facility are closed. HEB (grocery chain) delivers to the door step. Unfortunately Amazon Fresh does not deliver here.
We have a local in-house TV channel that keeps updated. Our on-site doctor, dentist and hairdressers appointment are suspended. No normal transportation. Transportation only to doctor office if they are open. We are free to come and go as we wish, but we haven't the left the Village since March 8th and see no reason to do so until at least May. We have canceled the two SMART rallies we had planned to attend and a planned RV trip to visit my brother in NC.
229 cases of Covid-19 in Bexar county 26 in the hospital 11 on ventilators and three deaths (34, 46, 74).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #51
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:

Apparently my crystal ball was pretty clear on this one:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...19-assistance/
Old 04-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #52

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Apparently my crystal ball was pretty clear on this one:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...19-assistance/
I have to agree.
Unless you were on a deck, unless you know exactly how easy it is to isolate any group on a ship, you shouldn't have a comment other than about the career suicide this obviously demented ships captain accomplished.

That carrier is on its own and the captain, was over reactive, obviously thought impaired, and no one I would want as a commander.

Good riddance to him and those who agree with him.

But
This isn't that much new news.
If you follow commanders and captains they often say really stupid things and get their ship taken away.

Your glory in thine head is not glory to you in mine.

Ship captains often grow the big head.
There isn't a squid in the world, other than the author of the letter, who thought any outcome would come other than the outcome that came.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #53
Site Team

THOR #7035
We've had some activity in the last 24 hours.

We have our 4th confirmed case in the county; a 62 YO male, apparently travel related. Not sure if travel related still means travel to/from infected parts of the world still, or infected parts of the country, or infected parts of the state.

Nobody from this county hospitalized but we do have two cases in our hospital from the county west of us.

Our Governor's Stay At Home (SAH) order went into effect at midnight last night. The panicked people were panic shopping at all the grocery stores since he issued the order on Wednesday. It also coincided with the monthly deposit of welfare and EBT money. What a zoo!!

Our local Wally World has made some changes coincidental with the SAH order:

The Non-Grocery doors are closed and for "Emergency Exit Only"
The Grocery side crosswalk is blocked off with cones to vehicle traffic and a city policeman is there to make sure nobody drives through the cones anyway.
They have caution-taped the two doors so you have a distinct path to exit the store and a distinct path to enter the store. The entrance path starts about 50 yards down the sidewalk in the opposite direction of the non-grocery side. So you start the cattle gate entrance path as far away from the center of the parking lot as you can get.
There are two "Greeters" assigned to sanitize carts as you enter.
They no longer even think about "checking" receipts on the way out.
Pretty well stocked inside the store with more non-self-serve lanes open than I have ever seen. No TP still.
About 50% of the people in the store (customers and associates) were wearing masks or covering their faces with scarves a-la-bandito style.

Statewide, since that one day drop in new cases on 30 Mar we have continued to go up. You can't see the axis on this snippet but this is a linear scale and the increase so far looks pretty linear rather than the dreaded exponential.

Current numbers for the State are:
Confirmed Cases: 9585
Deaths: 163 = 1.7%
Hospitalized: 1215 = 12.7%
Old 04-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've got a question...
If we should wear masks out in public, and you have to go into a bank: what if you only have a ski mask to wear?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #55
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I've got a question...
If we should wear masks out in public, and you have to go into a bank: what if you only have a ski mask to wear?
Can't go into a bank in our state right now without an appointment.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:43 PM   #56

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Went shopping on the first of April . My first time off our property since March 9th.
Mask and gloves worn. I didn't mind, it made sense to do it, and it bought me some spousal shut up.

Toilet paper at Sam's, toilet paper at Walmart, toilet paper at Safeway. Not an abundance but some on the rack.

Beans, even25lb bags, all gone. The big cans of stuff, those gallon ish sized, all there to he bought. Rice available at all of them, no minute rice. Oatmeal available at all of them.
No flour anywhere. You didn't bake before, what the hell will you do with 50lb bag of flour?

I can understand the initial surge, the 'buy two in case we can't get back to town' mentality, but are you suddenly Betty crocker?

Lots of bread on all of shelves.
Lots of cake mixes. No jiffy cornbread.
This didn't exactly tell me where the flour all went if the noncooking type weren't buying the non cooking type food.

Frozen dinners and pizzas were fully stocked.
Pork ribs were $1.29lb in slabs, and lots of them.
Turkeys and stuff right there for the buying.
Fresh sausage filled the sausage section.
Deli was fully stocked.

It was odd what was missing.

Went to Wendy's for drive through. We usually don't.
A Dave's single and a crispy Chicken, nothing else, came to $16.xx
How in the world?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #57
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So I guess you could call and warn them first...
Old 04-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #58

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We now at 17 in county. 2 deaths. We went out yesterday for rx/resupply food. Wife made masks for us and family. No issues for us we are staying home.

Interesting note, a buddy of mine called to tell me of a couple who had nasty cold/flu for few days each. Woman a few weeks ago. Man was recent week and a half ago. They are late 30's to mid 40's. Woman was RN/LPN, started working at testing place. Was tested and found to have virus antibody in system. Her boyfriend getting tested today. Will update as I know more. My source is not technical type with medical.

Stay safe everone!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #59
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We're at 106 cases; but just one death...
Old 04-03-2020, 06:53 PM   #60
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
We now at 17 in county. 2 deaths. We went out yesterday for rx/resupply food. Wife made masks for us and family. No issues for us we are staying home.

Interesting note, a buddy of mine called to tell me of a couple who had nasty cold/flu for few days each. Woman a few weeks ago. Man was recent week and a half ago. They are late 30's to mid 40's. Woman was RN/LPN, started working at testing place. Was tested and found to have virus antibody in system. Her boyfriend getting tested today. Will update as I know more. My source is not technical type with medical.

Stay safe everyone!
And that adds another twist to this whole pandemic. I personally know of several people around the state of Florida that had flu/cough/bronchitis for extended periods in late Jan and Feb. Standard treatment including anti-bodies for the bronchitis. All took longer than normal to get rid of the nagging cough. This was especially prevalent in central Florida following Christmas tourist season.

Coincidence? Misdiagnosis? Or just another strong bug? Will we ever know?