Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2020, 09:36 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Kentucky
THOR #3238
Bug out or a "nice to have."

We have the MH always gassed up, batteries charged and water in the tank. More to satisfy my wanderlust than about worrying the 'apocalypse."

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and let common sense take-over. Right now, it seems the lemmings have taken over and are reacting to every morsel of news coming from the 24x7 news and social media outlets..

IMHO

KMBX2IND

Old 03-18-2020, 10:56 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #3169
No. I live on an island with access by 2 bridges. If they closed the bridges and we were way off somewhere, .....well, I ain’t going anywhere.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:58 AM   #23

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
My answer for the OP. I could understand having an RV to get to a safer place if you live in a congested area with a high number of infections as a good idea.

For people like me. I live in the sticks with no close neighbors and so far no infections that I know of within more than 100 miles.

My bug out plan for this virus is to sit at the house as much as possible. We do have a Dollar General about 6 miles from here and I understand that they opened their stores from 8:00-9:00 every morning just for the elderly "me".

My RV is a good bug out for a hurricane though.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:14 AM   #24

THOR #3169
I use mine to get away from the coast also when storms come right at us! I’m not staying for any of those. It’s just too easy to get in RV and floor it!
Old 03-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #25

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
What are you going to do without gas
Old 03-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #26

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Maybe you know something that I don't but I haven't heard anything about a gas shortage?
What I do know is oil companies are suffering due to the low price per per barrel. "Worked in the industry for 35 years".

We are all enjoying the low price of fuel now but it comes with another price, the downturn of the oil industry.
Oil companies have what is called a lifting cost. It's what it cost them to produce a barrel of oil. That price is different with each company. That cost per barrel can be as low as $20 per barrel for some companies and can go much higher with other oil companies.

In other words some oil companies are loosing money producing oil while others are barely breaking even.

New production will be halted during this downturn. Oil companies will not do anything that they don't have to at this point to try to keep their lifting costs as low as possible. "Anything in my above statement is broad and encompasses a lot of things that I won't go into here".

This is where a domino effect starts. Service companies, construction and other companies will start to suffer.

We all know what happens then, from the oil companies on down, they start cutting back and one of the most powerful cutbacks is cutting their workforce.

I call this a domino effect because it works its way through most facets of business.

I've survived a couple big downturns in the oil business and I can remember people who were not affiliated with the oil industry telling me that it doesn't affect them. I always told them, wait, it just hasn't gotten to you yet but it will and it always did eventually.

But a fuel shortage or outage, no. We will produce and refine.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:46 PM   #27

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
This is an irresponsible and unwarranted pot stir.
Back up your question with a basis.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Zombie apocalypse survival rules

#24: Keep calm
Old 03-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #29

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
We loaded up the MH yesterday and decided to head to a KOA in Wilmington, North Carolina. My wife’s dental office is shut down for 3 weeks and my business travel was suspended as well. I work from home when I don’t travel so I can be anywhere as long as I have a phone and Internet.

Western PA weather is lousy this time of year so we figured we could isolate ourselves all the same at a campground. We hooked up the trailer and loaded the Can-Am Spyder so we can do a little riding and site seeing.

After looking at the weather for the next week, NC looked to stay the warmest and driest. We left about 4pm yesterday and got to VA about 9pm and bookdocked at a Cracker Barrel. There were already a few other RV’s in the parking lot.

I was never a camper or RV person but my wife worked on me for several years. I wanted all the comforts of home if I was going to do it so we agreed on a MH. We are on our second one now and I do like having a MH and camping now. The flexibility and options for times like this is very nice.

I’m also glad I moved up from the Outlaw 29H to the Magnitude SV34. The Outlaw was great for a first MH and helped me get my feet wet but the Magnitude takes it to a whole other level.

Good luck into all!
Old 03-20-2020, 02:11 PM   #30
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Judge,

How long will you be there? We have reservations for that KOA for March 25 - 31.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #31

THOR #3169
The Wilmington KOA is an excellent Kampground. We have stayed there many, many times. It’s only about 70 miles from our coastal home on the Crystal Coast. There’s a lot to see in Wilmington. Much Southern history. Cape Fear and the waterfront. Not far from Wrightsville and Carolina Beaches.
The weather has been beautiful. Bring both shorts and long pants as the weather can change rapidly. Enjoy your stay in North Carolina. PS..there’s also a Cracker Barrel in Wilmington.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Just remember---You will eventually have to come back to civilization for food and other necessity's. Also not all rolling motels have a washer and drier. So that requires a trip to the laundromat. Neither one being a thing I would relish in a new surrounding.

We plan to be like one of the a fore mentioned posts stated--safely tucked in at home.
But I fully understand, everybody has to do their own thing no matter what it might be.
Stay safe out there folks.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #33

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
RVs

Maybe it is just me but here is something that I seem to see more of while driving to the store. It seems that I am seeing more travel trailers parked on the street in front of homes. These are not transient types. I'm just wondering if this has become a housing option for relatives that need emergency housing. If so, I would do it too if I had to, either for me or a relative in need.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #34

State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
We were all set to use our MH (sittin’ in the driveway and all ready to roll) for quarantine...until our adult daughter, who still lives at home, got sick. Hers is mild and she’s recovering well, but her mom and I are “vulnerable adults” so she is in quarantine in her bedroom. So when push came to shove, the comforts of home - like having baths and not worrying about filling the gray tank - outweighed the MH for somebody who is feeling sick.

As to bugging out (which I had also thought was an option), provincial campgrounds are closed here in BC, and most towns are asking people not to come as they are worried about the limited hospital capacity they may have. Private campgrounds are closing.

The best laid plans...! Stay home, stay well.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #35

THOR #3169
I used to live in the Sticks in what was then very rural North Carolina. It was a wonderful, serene place. Now gone forever.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #36

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Just remember---You will eventually have to come back to civilization for food and other necessity's. Also not all rolling motels have a washer and drier. So that requires a trip to the laundromat. Neither one being a thing I would relish in a new surrounding.
Regarding laundry? Wear one, wash one. Ez dry polyester for every garment.
There’s no dining out now.
So sweats when cold climate, shorts when warm climate.

Less is more.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #37

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I don't know that I'd trust that map. For example: there's a confirmed case in Florida east of Deland. If you zoom in to that area on the Cumlative Confirmed Cases tab it disappears. It you shift to the Active Cases tab you can zoom in on it and click it to get the details on the confirmed case.

Maybe not ready for prime time.
Actually the John Hopkins tracker is the leading map in the world.. they dont want to much detail to avoid panic in hot spots and thus creating larger concerns.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Regarding laundry? Wear one, wash one. Ez dry polyester for every garment.
There’s no dining out now.
So sweats when cold climate, shorts when warm climate.

Less is more.

I hadn't thought about the --wear one wash one idea. If you mean hand wash. I suppose that would an option.
As far as the dining out, I was thinking along the line of grocery store for what I needed.
We seldom eat out. My wife puts better food on the table then most restaurants do.
I'm a pretty lucky guy.