Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #81

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Just camp in your yard. Camping is camping

Old 03-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #82

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Nicely presented but I have a legitimate question. You (correctly) state that we don’t really know how many cases there are either in this country or worldwide because of inadequate testing capabilities. Obviously we DO have a pretty good count on the number of deaths. But the mortality rate is defined as the number of deaths divided by the number of cases so how do we actually know that the rate is as high as you and others report? If the number of cases is really 500,000 in this country as some have suggested then the rate is much closer to the “normal” flu rate. Thank you.
You are correct, we don’t know the true denominator, and Covid19 is just ramping up here, so we don’t really know the numerator. The mortality rate in our country is a best guess at this point. But the fact that China is months ahead of us in this epidemic, and Italy is weeks ahead of us gives us a good indication of what we can expect. People much smarter than me are saying to expect 10-20 times the mortality rate of influenza. And remember that most people have at least some immunity to influenza. The fact is that we won’t know CoVid-19’s mortality rate until this is over and done with, and that doesn’t help anyone. We have to look at the data coming out of parts of the world that are ahead of us in this epidemic if we want to reduce cases here and keep from overwhelming our healthcare system.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #83

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
RDC54-
Thank you for taking your valuable time to provide us with so much info. I will be camping this weekend, have planned it for months, and will have very little to no human contact except for my DW. Fresh air can't hurt.
Mike
I agree! In fact i would encourage everyone to get outdoors and get some fresh air every day. There is evidence to suggest it boosts your immune system. Just stay away from other people!
Old 03-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #84

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
I truly do appreciate the synopsis of things we can read anywhere.
It was nicely done.
You gave us a source of your information.
You did not tell of your actual experience.

What have you, through your hospital, seen?
You wrote it was the worst you'd SEEN not the worst you'd read about.

I would like, and asked about, a boots on the ground view.
We're getting a few media vignettes of somehow self-serving sick people complaining, with no background or admission of underlying reason. The news is filled with the 'Hey! Look at ME!' crowd showing their toilet paper plight and their kids at home conundrum. The joy of self is spreading to the selfish from the selfish. What aren't we seeing? What do YOU see in person?

I would like a centric view from someone in the fray.
Do you have this view?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #85

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I'm grounded from business travel for the next 3 weeks and my wife's dental office is closed for the same period of time.

When I don't travel I work from home so I only need a cell phone and Internet and can work from anywhere.

We are thinking about loading up the motorhome and heading to a KOA in Virginia or North Carolina since the weather is better than PA.

If we are going to be isolated, then we are thinking why not be isolated in the motorhome and hitting the outdoors and camp. We can keep our distance from other people but still get out doors and maybe ride the Spyder and so some sightseeing.

My only concerns is that if everyone starts losing their minds (more than they already have) and there is a national curfew to the point you can't be on the roads and we get stuck somewhere.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:48 PM   #86

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Screw it we are traveling

Screw it. Unless marshall law is declared (LOL) we are traveling this season. We don't need to rub elbows with anyone at all so we should be perfectly safe. Fuel up wearing gloves anyway. Don't really need to buy food as we can haul it with us. Have long and short range ballistic toys for overly zealous Zombies. We'll leave just as soon as I get this new fixture attached to the rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Gun.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	22963  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #87

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
You are correct, we don’t know the true denominator, and Covid19 is just ramping up here, so we don’t really know the numerator. The mortality rate in our country is a best guess at this point. But the fact that China is months ahead of us in this epidemic, and Italy is weeks ahead of us gives us a good indication of what we can expect. People much smarter than me are saying to expect 10-20 times the mortality rate of influenza. And remember that most people have at least some immunity to influenza. The fact is that we won’t know CoVid-19’s mortality rate until this is over and done with, and that doesn’t help anyone. We have to look at the data coming out of parts of the world that are ahead of us in this epidemic if we want to reduce cases here and keep from overwhelming our healthcare system.

RDC54, thanks for the information. My wife is a doctor, both her brothers are doctors and her sister is a respiratory therapist. All of them have given up trying to explain the potential risk. You may want to join them.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #88

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
RDC54, thanks for the information. My wife is a doctor, both her brothers are doctors and her sister is a respiratory therapist. All of them have given up trying to explain the potential risk. You may want to join them.
OK,
What have they personally seen?
Has your group been treating actual hospital admitted patients?
Are they monitoring any patient at home?

The threat is easy to read and interpret. I don't think anyone has yet to dispute the virus being real.
But
The ground based information seems to be elusive.

Is it so blown out of proportion, so far, that no Thor forum medical professional has seen a case?
How is it not one USA based member has even said:
'I know someone who knows someone who has tested positive' ?

I believe in science.
I believe in panic
I believe in hyperbolics.

Which should I heartily believe over the others at this, very, point in time is driving the masses?

And

These aren't any question I wouldn't ask during the 7.3 engine conjectures or about refinance at 0% or any other bandwagoneering attempts.

My questions actually have little to do with the virus and lots to do with people saying things just to say things.

It should be INCREDIBLY obvious that I ask because I don't know.
And
I ask solely because you all said you DO know.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:28 PM   #89

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Those here, asking "what have you seen personally" to those in the medical profession has no meaning at this point. Ask the same question in a couple of weeks and the answer may be painful to hear. Since we have just really started testing people for the virus, we have no idea how many were spreading it unknowingly and so we're behind the curve.

Agreed; panic does no good. Suggest: Get information from valid sources and do what you can to stay healthy.

This will be my only post on the subject, as I believe in making a point and moving on.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:31 PM   #90
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
OK,
What have they personally seen?
Has your group been treating actual hospital admitted patients?
Are they monitoring any patient at home?

The threat is easy to read and interpret. I don't think anyone has yet to dispute the virus being real.
But
The ground based information seems to be elusive.

I'm reluctantly going to try to add something here... lol

With 'only' 5200 confirmed cases in US... 173 in Florida... most US health care workers have not seen a case personally.

I think the real point is by the time this is 'personally seen' by health care providers around the country - it is far too late for 'flattening the curve'...
So the basis is what is happening in countries further along than we are - and our medical professionals won't have the first hand knowledge/visibility.

The effort is no longer at preventing people from getting sick (they say the majority of us will get it) - it is to not overwhelm the health care system by having too many get it at once... which could result in more deaths than otherwise for those that need critical care.

If the 'experts' are right - then the actions should help flatten the rate of spread. This is new ground - having a new virus in a world that has been made much smaller by available transportation.

Are people going over board? yes...
Are people not taking this seriously enough? yes...

And of course no one talking about the impact of 'social isolation' come December... hospital maternity wards not able to accommodate the next baby boom!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 03-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #91

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Those here, asking "what have you seen personally" to those in the medical profession has no meaning at this point. Ask the same question in a couple of weeks and the answer may be painful to hear. Since we have just really started testing people for the virus, we have no idea how many were spreading it unknowingly and so we're behind the curve.

Agreed; panic does no good. Suggest: Get information from valid sources and do what you can to stay healthy.

This will be my only post on the subject, as I believe in making a point and moving on.
I only ask what they've seen because the claim is:
... I've seen....

No other reason than to seperate the status
From
Stories enhanced.

To randomly say
I've seen

Without a degree of what was seen

Is irresponsible at best when your position is used an an enhancer.

I too, tire of this.
I think I've made my point.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #92

THOR #11426
JohnnyD, MJC62, M1noel, jannnda, gmc and others, thank you for your kind words of support and understanding. My favorite recent quote (sorry I don’t know the source)...

“This virus is contagious, but so is kindness and compassion”

I am always learning, and I just learned that it is possible to block a troublesome user by adding them to my Ignore List.

To the rest, I know this is a time of panic and uncertainty. I really believe we have to try to help each other when we can. If you have questions you think I might be able to answer, please send me a PM.

Tom N3EQF, I think I will follow your lead and move on.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:17 PM   #93

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Only for real fact I know about this.

On Saturday the 14th late in the afternoon the local Medical Alliance that controls most of the health care in my area "Franciscan Health Alliance" who operates several hospitals and countless satellite doctors offices here began closing doctors offices to patients announcing they will only see "emergency cases" in their offices until further notice. My doctor who is also my brother in law told me directly patients are being put off for a few months or more for routine visits and although he and his staff will still have regular office hours the doors will be locked and he will only see "emergency patients" in his office. All patients will be phone screened. Only those on the borderline of emergency will be allowed to actually come in to his office to see a doctor. Others will be postponed or sent to emergency rooms. That is the only first hand facts I have.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #94

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
On Saturday the 14th late in the afternoon the local Medical Alliance that controls most of the health care in my area "Franciscan Health Alliance" who operates several hospitals and countless satellite doctors offices here began closing doctors offices to patients announcing they will only see "emergency cases" in their offices until further notice. My doctor who is also my brother in law told me directly patients are being put off for a few months or more for routine visits and although he and his staff will still have regular office hours the doors will be locked and he will only see "emergency patients" in his office. All patients will be phone screened. Only those on the borderline of emergency will be allowed to actually come in to his office to see a doctor. Others will be postponed or sent to emergency rooms. That is the only first hand facts I have.
Thank you for the info our family Doctor is also under the Franciscan Alliance umbrella. I had not heard this. Doesn’t surprise me much though. Medical Professionals need a heads up on what risks might be coming through the door. They aren’t immune either. Ask the widow of the Dr that alerted the world to this virus
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 03-17-2020, 11:53 PM   #95

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
We only have three confirmed cases of the CoVid-19 virus in Bexar County (other than those brought in from the Diamond Princes), but since Monday no doctors are allowed in the village (Blue Skies of Texas). Every thing is by telemedicne. If there a need need for a doctor, our ambulance provider (Arcadian) will transport the patient to Christus Santa Rosa for evaluation and treatment. We have assisted living, skilled nursing, memory care, as well as, independent living in the village.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:30 AM   #96

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I have two doctor and a dentist appointment in the next two weeks. So far they havent canceled

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-18-2020, 01:27 AM   #97

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I have two doctor and a dentist appointment in the next two weeks. So far they havent canceled

Jerry

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/vide...ingle-househol
Old 03-18-2020, 01:45 AM   #98

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post

Jerry
Jerry here in NW Indiana Dentists are supposed to treat emergency patients only. I had a cracked tooth a week ago and got in no problem. Monday of this week the new guidelines from the governor went into effect.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 03-18-2020, 01:49 AM   #99

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
The wife and I both went to the doctor yesterday. Routine stuff, not connected with the pandemic. The daughter went to the dentist today. The dog to the vet the other day. It seems that shutting down our national healthcare system at this time is a mistake.

Yes, we should avoid large groups and continue good hygiene practices. But in the end we wont know the length of the crisis or the mortality rate until it is over.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #100

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Oil at $22/barrel, gas at $1.99

Great time to own an RV
Cheap to drive again
Oil at $22/barrel is at 1970’s levels (and briefly again in the late 90’s)
How long will it last???
Closed Thread