Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2020, 07:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
COVID-19 Relief Bill

For those that get into this sort of stuff, I believe this is the latest proposed bill to be voted on. It was supposedly agreed upon last night and will be up for vote in the House and Senate.

I'm trying to read it. Admittedly, it makes my head hurt.

https://appropriations.house.gov/sit...DSUPP3_xml.pdf

Old 03-25-2020, 07:50 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I understand why but do not like. If they send us a check it will go to my son. They and their kids will be paying for it. They are significantly impacted but okay. Wife and I just stuck at our North house in detention. Would love to be South with Grandkids but they are in hot zone. Too much risk at our age. I may read it when I get done with outside stuff. I read other 2 to see who had longer nose. I think these people should put people not party first. I cannot give result or I will get bounced.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #3

THOR #12189
Understood and why I only posted the facts. My daughter will be too.

It's their document and can be fact-checked until the cows come home. I'm reserving commentary to avoid getting bounced.

Two people can read a 'book' and walk away with vastly different perspectives. I'm leaving all the mumbo jumbo (legalize) to the one's getting paid to interpret it.

I do like this little piece of legislation introduced by Sen. McSally of AZ. What's fair is fair and it applies across the board, not to one party:
'Today, I introduced legislation to have Senators’ pay withheld until relief is passed. It is despicable that millions of Americans are without a paycheck in this time of crisis, while the Senate wastes precious time playing political games,” she continued. “The Senate must pass this relief package now in order to get cash straight to the people.”'
Old 03-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #4

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Why not post the stuff about the virus on the virus website, not really interested here.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:24 PM   #5

THOR #12189
I see it as directly related. I guess we hold differing opinions. Isn't America great that way?

If the moderators decide it doesn't belong, they have tools at their disposal to action.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:39 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I'm not seeing how paying off student loans has anything to do with the current situation. Extended UI benefits, we can talk about that when current benefits are about to run out. From what I read, the Majority Whip said the Democrats were going to use this crisis to get unpopular agenda items passed through Congress. To me, now isn't the time for expansion of the welfare state.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:42 PM   #7

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I'm not seeing how paying off student loans has anything to do with the current situation. Extended UI benefits, we can talk about that when current benefits are about to run out. From what I read, the Majority Whip said the Democrats were going to use this crisis to get unpopular agenda items passed through Congress. To me, now isn't the time for expansion of the welfare state.
As you may have noticed in other threads, you have to keep your opinions to yourself in this forum. Someone's feelings might get hurt and you'll get a smack on the hand, or worse - banished altogether.

As for this bill, I had to put it down for a little while. My eyes were crossing and developed a slight headache. I'm seeing a lot of repetition, almost verbatim. I'm sure there are nuances in there somewhere but I'm having a heck of a time weeding through this thing.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 PM   #8
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
Moderator hat on: Please remember that political discussions are off limits here unless they are directly related to RVing.

Example: I work for my RV and manage my small business while traveling. Do I qualify to receive small business support during this time?

^ That would be an acceptable topic (although probably no one here will be able to answer).
Old 03-25-2020, 10:20 PM   #9

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Independent Contractors like Uber drivers, Hair Dressers are so i dont see why anyone in an RV or wouldnt be.

Pocket books open and no way they can check on everyone.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #10

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Independent Contractors like Uber drivers, Hair Dressers are so i dont see why anyone in an RV or wouldnt be.

That's correct. It appears on p. 36 as follows:
"...As determined by the Secretary, or designee, this authority also shall apply to subcontractors: Provided, That amounts provided by this section are designated by the Congress as being for an emergency requirement pursuant to section 251(b)(2)(A)(i) of the Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985".
The remainder of the document goes into minute detail that'll make your head hurt but it's in there.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:46 PM   #11

THOR #12189
PLEASE remember to keep political opinion out of this thread or it WILL get shut down. Whether I agree with you or not is not the point. The point is to discuss the bill, regardless of which side incorporated the section or clause.

Use citations from the bill itself, not opinions or what may appear on other forms of social media.

The moderators have made it clear with stark example: locked threads. Political opinion will not be tolerated. It's too heated a topic. The purpose of the forum is sharing ideas, not exchanging blows.

Thank you.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:33 AM   #12

THOR #12189
An Observation

In order to pay for the increase in the United States subscription to the Bank
under subsection (a), there are authorized to be appropriated, without fiscal year limitation, $7,286,587,008 for payment by the Secretary of the Treasury (re: p.157, SEC. 1345. SEVENTH CAPITAL INCREASE, Subsection (2)(b).

Points to Ponder:
...$7,286,587,008...
...to be appropriated, without fiscal year limitation...

Current National Debt: $22t
Old 03-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post

As I understand it (rots of ruck with that!) relief to small businesses is in the form of Small Business loans that will be forgiven if the purpose of the loan is fulfilled - keeping the business open and people employed.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Now that the Senate has passed it: let's see how long the House of Representatives wastes time monkeying around with it...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #15

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Passed thru Senate after much needed provisions added to control business greed.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #16

THOR #12830
Took out buying oil at historically low prices to fill our strategic reserves.

Added funds for the arts along with other non-economic projects.

1.3 for foreign initiatives

Remember the bridge to nowhere? Pet projects.

Disgusting but only way to get it passed. So be it.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I agree: It's got more pork in it than most barbecues...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #18

THOR #12189
And somehow I don't think there's a look of surprise on your face.

Got to p. 1376. Guess I'll have to wait for the amended version to get published.

Not like I have a say in it anyway. That has to be reserved for another time.

I looked and haven't found the updated version yet. Where did you get the info you mentioned about the 'pork'?

Not that it matters much anymore but here's where it was: p. 1369, SEC. 199993. DELAY OF STRATEGIC PETROLEUM RESERVE SALE.

I may have found a condensed version. This IS NOT a comprehensive list nor the only source. I doesn't cite the union protection laws incorporated into the bill, if they're still there. The appear in the old one. It gets an honorable mention on p. 116 and the minutia starts on p. 742. The rest is strewn throughout the remainder of the document. Who authors this stuff?? There's references all over the place. Can't they consolidate and address topics a section at a time? Maybe I misunderstand something...

I'm currently seeking support or contradiction to these citations (re: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/25/coro...lief-plan.html)
  • Give one-time direct payments of up to $1,200 for individuals and $2,400 for couples, with $500 added for every child, based on 2019 tax returns for those who filed them and 2018 information if they have not. The benefit would start to phase out above $75,000 in income for individuals and $150,000 for couples, going away completely at the $99,000 and $198,000 thresholds, respectively.
  • Boost unemployment insurance, adding $600 per week for up to four months on top of what beneficiaries normally receive from states. It expands eligibility to self-employed people and independent contractors.
  • Create a $500 billion pool of taxpayer money to make loans, loan guarantees or investments to or in businesses, states and municipalities damaged by the crisis.
  • Give $25 billion in grants to airlines and $4 billion to cargo carriers to be used exclusively to pay employee wages, salaries and benefits, and set aside another $25 billion and $4 billion, respectively, for loans and loan guarantees.
  • Provide $17 billion in loans and loan guarantees for unspecified “businesses critical to maintaining national security.”
  • Put $117 billion into hospitals and veterans’ health care.
  • Provide $16 billion for the strategic national stockpile of pharmaceutical and medical supplies.
  • Give $350 billion in loans for small businesses to cover salary, wages and benefits, worth 250% of an employer’s monthly payroll, with a maximum loan of $10 million.
  • Include a tax credit for retaining employees, worth up to 50% of wages paid during the crisis, for businesses forced to suspend operations or that have seen gross receipts fall by 50% from the previous year.
  • Require group health plans and insurance providers to cover preventive services related to coronavirus without cost sharing.
  • Delay payroll tax for employers, requiring half of the deferred tax to be paid by the end of 2021 and the other half by the end of 2022.
  • Ban companies that take government loans from buying back stock until a year after the loan is paid back.
  • Bar employees or executives who made at least $425,000 last year from getting a raise.
  • Stop President Donald Trump and his family members’ businesses from receiving emergency taxpayer relief. The provision also applies to Vice President Mike Pence, heads of executive departments, members of Congress and their family members.
  • Suspend federal student loan payments through Sept. 30 with no accrual of interest on those loans.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:11 AM   #19

THOR #12830
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand...stimulus-bill/
Old 03-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #20

THOR #12189
CARES ACT - Supposedly Final?

Here's the document. It's only 247 pages and I'm trying to figure that out.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...l-Mar-2020.pdf

p.s. this document is actually comprehendible. Amazing.