Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2020, 08:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Delano 24RW
State: California
THOR #20579
New California restrictions

I saw Governor Newsom was going to restrict overnight camping in California in the new restrictions they put forth. Has anyone heard from any of the RV parks if they are cancelling reservations? Any full timers have any information? Can’t believe they consider a single family going out to camp in the same light as multi family gatherings. Leads me to believe they simply don’t know how to govern other than a one size fits all policy. Too bad..

Old 12-04-2020, 08:36 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I heard about this new round of lunacy this morning...
They will keep pushing; until they make civil disobedience popular...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:40 PM   #3

THOR #20579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I heard about this new round of lunacy this morning...
They will keep pushing; until they make civil disobedience popular...
Agreed, it’s just baffling. I get the large gatherings issue. However in many cases single families at RV parks know how to distance, why punish them. It’s just political control at this point in many cases because they don’t know how to govern in the minutae. It would require common sense and that is sorely lacking today’s world apparently.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:28 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Look as if you're doing something."; is the first thing that they learn in D.C.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDelanoRw View Post
Agreed, it’s just baffling. I get the large gatherings issue. However in many cases single families at RV parks know how to distance, why punish them. It’s just political control at this point in many cases because they don’t know how to govern in the minutae. It would require common sense and that is sorely lacking today’s world apparently.

“Baffling” is not the word I’d use for it. I like Bob’s word better - “lunacy”! If you’re outdoors - the very definition of camping - and the sites are more than 6 feet apart where’s the problem? Or if it is, close every other site!
Old 12-04-2020, 09:46 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The computer page he popped up suggests you go camping and do things outdoors.
Take a look at Newsome recorded message. It's framed right along side him.
Yoga
Swimming
Surfing
Camping

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:26 PM   #7

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
Well the Brain trust in Portland Oregon claim the the peaceful protesters have not added to the Covid problem. But you will go to jail for having a family meal😠
Old 12-04-2020, 10:35 PM   #8

THOR #20579
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM41261 View Post
Well the Brain trust in Portland Oregon claim the the peaceful protesters have not added to the Covid problem. But you will go to jail for having a family meal😠
More lunacy. Just unbelievable. You really can’t fix stupid I guess.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:43 PM   #9

Model: Majestic 19G
THOR #21414
I agree...this is stupid.

I also recognize the logic, even though I am against it.

Let's take for example my family as we usually get together 2-3 times a year to go tent camping (we just got our RV weeks ago).

My wife and I live by ourselves, and while I have historically worked from home, she doesn't. In fact, she is a nursing student who has been around COVID patients.

My wife's mother cleans houses for a living in the Bay Area and lives with her daughter who works in animal control. They both work in areas where they are around other people, my sister-in-law more than my mother-in-law. Also living in that house is my sub-teenage nephew, and while he doesn't go to school he does see his dad every week for a few days. At his Dad's house, he is there with his Dad and his Stepmother. His Dad works in an ambulance (I forget his position), and I do not know what his Stepmother does.

The last group that we camp with include my brother-in-law's mother-in-law who lives by herself (retired) and those noted below (in a separate household).

My brother-in-law lives with his wife and their twin boy/girl who do attend school with other kids, and they wear masks (more-or-less...as you might expect 7ish year old to comply).

In simpler terms when we all get together to go camping, we would be coming from four separate houses with a good portion of us working alongside other people, my wife coming in contact with patients, and my nephew's father likely the same. The household breakdown:
a. Me and wife
b. SIL, MIL, nephew
c. BIL's MIL
d. BIL, SIL, nephew, and niece

Clearly we would not be social distancing. We would be playing, conversing, eating together, drinking together, cooking together, and otherwise enjoying ourselves. The kids would be kids and the adults, adults. We typically rent 3-4 separate camping spots, and we try to always get them side-by-side. Sometimes we can, and most times we cannot, so we'll converge on one site.

If you don't see the issue, then I won't waste any more time here, but yes, my wife and I just bought an RV and would love to use it. Now it seems that we will be quite limited in our opportunities except well ... there are always places that enforcement won't go (and enforce) because what's the point.

You're also right about a lot of things (ie: one size does not fit all), but I do hope you can recognize the thought process here. It doesn't take much for a few families that get together, to get together that would be separate on paper but not in reality.

Anyways, here's hoping we will be out of this soon!
Old 12-04-2020, 11:06 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
One more rule to ignore in Kalifornistan. I sa a news article in the last 24 hours reporting how many restaurants there are ignoring his shutdown order, How many times does he have to lose in court before he gets the message he can't be a dictator?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:20 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The rule changes have a value.
They prove we are of the same notion as the notions in itrea or idlib or Paris or London.
The changes and what appears to be conflicting reports and rules are to test our resolve.
We, though we think we're tough guys, have no more resolve than someone in a refugee camp who can't read.

Nothing political in that starment above.
Just an observation that the rules change and we immediately comply just like every culture in the entire world.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:24 PM   #12

THOR #20579
Meanwhile you notice they’re mum on suicide rate, domestic violence, child abuse, etc. I assume that’s because armed with that information it probably wouldn’t fit the required narrative. However rest assured the more you lock people up the more adverse those impacts will be. Take a look at Japan who does report annually on suicides, they’ve lost 2k plus to COVID this year, and they’re already over 15k for suicides. That’s real and should be equally reported so at least the general public has the necessary information to make informed and balanced decisions. But again, these current US based measures are only with COVID in mind and don’t ask don’t tell on family issues related to mental health damages. Rant over. Happy RVing everyone and may God Bless this world in 2021.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:07 AM   #13

Model: Majestic 19G
THOR #21414
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDelanoRw View Post
Happy RVing everyone and may God Bless this world in 2021.
Might as well just say 2022 and get our expectations inline with what is more likely...2021 is still gonna suck for many Americans (and elsewhere).
Old 12-05-2020, 01:03 AM   #14

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
We are still going to do what we want no matter how the political climate tries to change us. You have to remember that they are trying to get rid of Christmas from everyone. We will still go out camping and make the best of it no matter what. Tired of this stuff already. Looking forward to going out again at the end of this month in the motor home. We can take our own precautions and don't need them to tell us what to do and how to do it.

Paul
Old 12-05-2020, 02:02 AM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We've had to be careful throughout this entire mess. Our co-morbidity lists are long and alarming.
So we know how to handle the antiseptic protocols better than any of the morons who are making up these senseless rules
Old 12-05-2020, 02:28 AM   #16

Model: Axis 24.2
THOR #18202
Did I miss something? It would be typical for me.

The new state guidelines don't come into play until there is limited ICU capacity in five specified state regions. Limited capacity is defined as less than 15 percent.

At the present time, none of the five regions has less than 15%

Actual ICU capacity remaining as of December 3, 2020 for the 5 regions:

Northern California 18.60%
SF Bay Area 25.30%
Greater Sacramento 22.20%
San Joaquin Valley 19.70%
Southern California 20.60%

I'm in SoCal, I don't see anything here that restricts my camping.

What am I missing?

If you read one of my prior posts, I made the observation that, given percentages in San Bernardino County, folks over 70 contracting Covid have a similar risk as someone spinning the cylinder on a revolver while playing Russian Roulette.

I am not taking unnecessary chances and appreciate others cooperating in being safe - even if it takes some rule making.

Meanwhile, my plans to take the motorhome out for a few days next week do not violate any rules nor, given reasonable precautions, do I anticipate that I will spinning the cylinder.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:37 AM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Do the same guidelines apply for the "stay home for 21 days" edict?
Old 12-05-2020, 03:27 AM   #18

Model: Axis 24.2
THOR #18202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Do the same guidelines apply for the "stay home for 21 days" edict?
The limited stay at home order was put into effect a couple of weeks ago for one month ending December 21. It specified compliance between 10pm and 5am under the theory that most activity during those hours is not essential. Essential services were excluded.

I don't believe it excluded camping and, imho, the hours roughly coincide with quiet hours at most campsites and at this point in my life it is a struggle to be awake at 10pm.

Despite the order, Covid continued to spike resulting in yesterday's order which tied compliance to the ICU bed occupancy but I believe both are now in effect but that the new one has not triggered yet in any of the regions.

I suppose that the 15% benchmark could be reached at any time but noted that the restriction wasn't on camping but, rather, on campgrounds. Also that:

"Nothing in this Order prevents any number of persons from the same
household from leaving their residence, lodging, or temporary
accommodation, as long as they do not engage in any interaction with (or
otherwise gather with) any number of persons from any other household,
except as specifically permitted herein."
Old 12-05-2020, 03:30 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Complain all you want, but as long as you keep electing these folks things will never change. Wait till the new occupant of 1300 Pennsylvania Ave brings the lunacy of California and New York to a nationwide implementation.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:47 AM   #20

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Piss and moan all you want but as long as few won't follow guidelines they are going to continue to muck it up for the many. How friggin hard is it to wear a mask or stay 6' apart? Stay out of the tavern?
Even with a statewide mask mandate and occupancy limits the local saloon is as full as pre-covid days.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote