Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2021, 01:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Covid travel impacts

We'll try a new thread and my focus will be on how the covid issue has impacted us on our travels. Since covid hit I/we have taken 4 major trips. A major trip I define as leaving the local area and getting the hell out of dodge. Don't take that as a criticism of "dodge".

Trips all started from home in south east Alabama and went;

#1. Aug-Sept 2020, up through KY thru IL, to Duluth MN, then to 2 locations in ND. Trip cut short because of last years fires further west. Impact small crowds, lots of "social distancing" (SD), some masking, ALL Fed stuff closed.

#2. Mar-Apr 2021, out to MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ, UT and back. Some RV traffic, openings in RV parks, some SD, some masking. ALL Fed stuff closed

#3. Jul 2021, up to NC and back. Pretty crowded but we had reservations. Same SD and masking as before. No Fed places visited.

#4. Up thru TN, VA to southern WV, to east KY and on our way back not in Chattanooga TN. Labor Day full, after that vacant. KY near the "Ark" busy but a few vacancies. KY horse park in Lexington KY 70% occupancy on weekend maybe 20% during week. Same SD and masking. Fed stuff closed.

Seems the most punitive and disorganized are Fed facilities. Visitor centers closed or no descriptive movies, etc. Typical but it seems the federal government is the most disorganized entity out there. On the various trips that includes some NP, federal fish hatcheries, etc. State run things seem to be more flexible but I didn't go to any commie states. Private facilities easiest to work with.

So anyway that's my experiences as how covid affected our travels. Advise if you go to a NP don't expect to get much info in a visitor center IF it's even open. I stayed at some military RV parks along the way and the RV facilities were open but limited other services. A " don't get too close" checkins.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
COVID has not been a major impact on our travel but it haz been a major impact on the quality of facilities and services available during travel.

Campgrounds are using COVID as an excuse to not maintain facilities even though they are at full capacity and have plenty of work campers available. KOA campgrounds we routinely stayed out have gotten so bad we are going to drop our KOA membership.

Local services are all screaming labor shortages are the reason for curtailing services and declining quality.

And here is the one that is the real kicker. Businesses using COVID as an excuse to pass operating costs such as credit card transaction fees on to consumers.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
We have taken many "Local" (defines as 'in the state of Florida) trips in our MH since the state opened up last June/July - mostly moochdocking at the MIL's or the two sons, a couple of State parks. So not much impact there but man! was it nice to cruise the interstates during lockdown - nobody but me and the truckers - but now we're back to standard traffic or worse.

In March we took a trip to Virginia staying in a variety of parks - no real trouble getting reservations and the Covid effect was zero check-in in the NC State parks - just go to your site. We stayed at a HH winery in SC and they still gave tours and wine tasting.

We're leaving next month for a 3 week trip to Chattanooga, Dollywood, the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline drive for 3 weeks. No real problem getting reservations but the few sites in the NPS campgrounds that had electricity were booked, so we got dry sites. I'll report back when we return or maybe along the trip.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:58 PM   #4

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
We have taken many "Local" (defines as 'in the state of Florida) trips in our MH since the state opened up last June/July - mostly moochdocking at the MIL's or the two sons, a couple of State parks. So not much impact there but man! was it nice to cruise the interstates during lockdown - nobody but me and the truckers - but now we're back to standard traffic or worse.

In March we took a trip to Virginia staying in a variety of parks - no real trouble getting reservations and the Covid effect was zero check-in in the NC State parks - just go to your site. We stayed at a HH winery in SC and they still gave tours and wine tasting.

We're leaving next month for a 3 week trip to Chattanooga, Dollywood, the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline drive for 3 weeks. No real problem getting reservations but the few sites in the NPS campgrounds that had electricity were booked, so we got dry sites. I'll report back when we return or maybe along the trip.
Some local for us is to our NW FL bayou property which I put in full hookups. Naturally no reservations required and we tend to stay at the property, or out on the boat, rather than mingle with the hoards of beach crowds. Destin/Seaside areas.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
We'll try a new thread and my focus will be on how the covid issue has impacted us on our travels. Since covid hit I/we have taken 4 major trips. A major trip I define as leaving the local area and getting the hell out of dodge. Don't take that as a criticism of "dodge".

#1. Aug-Sept 2020, up through KY thru IL, to Duluth MN, then to 2 locations in ND. Trip cut short because of last years fires further west. Impact small crowds, lots of "social distancing" (SD), some masking, ALL Fed stuff closed.

#2. Mar-Apr 2021, out to MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ, UT and back. Some RV traffic, openings in RV parks, some SD, some masking. ALL Fed stuff closed

#3. Jul 2021, up to NC and back. Pretty crowded but we had reservations. Same SD and masking as before. No Fed places visited.

#4. Up thru TN, VA to southern WV, to east KY and on our way back not in Chattanooga TN. Labor Day full, after that vacant. KY near the "Ark" busy but a few vacancies. KY horse park in Lexington KY 70% occupancy on weekend maybe 20% during week. Same SD and masking. Fed stuff closed.

Seems the most punitive and disorganized are Fed facilities. Visitor centers closed or no descriptive movies, etc. Typical but it seems the federal government is the most disorganized entity out there. On the various trips that includes some NP, federal fish hatcheries, etc. State run things seem to be more flexible but I didn't go to any commie states. Private facilities easiest to work with.

So anyway that's my experiences as how covid affected our travels. Advise if you go to a NP don't expect to get much info in a visitor center IF it's even open. I stayed at some military RV parks along the way and the RV facilities were open but limited other services. A " don't get too close" checkins.
Curious?
You listed 12-14 states in this post that you visited, which states that you didn't visit are the "commie" states?
Never seen a "Welcome to XXX, were one of the commie states!". Others may want to avoid them!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
We are self contained... we do not use any campground toilet/shower facilities. That's why we have those on our RV - we USE them.

The only contact we ever have (not by choice) is registration if necessary, and dump station (if necessary). If it's just a weekend trip, I dump at home.

P.S. Using derogatory terms describing governing principles you obviously haven't studied or understand is not conducive to an informed travel discussion.

It's also likely to provoke ire from forum moderators.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #7

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Curious?
You listed 12-14 states in this post that you visited, which states that you didn't visit are the "commie" states?
Never seen a "Welcome to XXX, were one of the commie states!". Others may want to avoid them!
Let's just say use your imagination. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out which ones are suppressing rights and which one celebrate them.

Some of the states may be considered borderline but I generally was in more rural areas, not major metropolitan.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Took only 6-7 posts, actually the #1 post, to turn political with terms like "disorganized Fed facilities" & "commie" states!
I guess you can't say "Covid" in any context without it happening!!!
I tune into another channel now!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:53 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yup...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1631724777
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	66
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	33646  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:10 PM   #10

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:

Quote:
Curious?
Quote:
Let's just say use your imagination. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out which ones are suppressing rights and which one celebrate them.

Some of the states may be considered borderline but I generally was in more rural areas, not major metropolitan.
Quote:
Took only 6-7 posts, actually the #1 post, to turn political with terms like "disorganized Fed facilities" & "commie" states!
Agree 100%

Thread should ALREADY be closed!
I trust it will be Soon.

Please note "we'll be watching"
Old 09-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

Let us know where you stay in Chattanooga and how clean price thx
Old 09-15-2021, 05:29 PM   #12

THOR #22586
Quote:
If you think that the federal facilities are running smooth then that's your opinion. I happened to visit, or attempt to visit, several and that's my observation. Nothing political like you would like to make it, just my observations. Based on a moderators comments a covid discussion was to be how it impacted our individual travels. I have made some trips and clearly stated where I went and some places I visited and how it impacted my travels. I did editorialize a bit with the commie comment and apparently that ruffles feathers. I personally am not looking for ways that I can be offended so I can claim victim class, but I guess that offends those self proclaimed. Some people want to read something terrible into a casual comment. No fingers pointed just an opinion.

No thread or topic is mandatory reading so anyone is free to read or ignore any thread. Since the ones who have been offended know what a covid topic brings, they should not read them. I don't have a Class B so don't read those threads. I don't watch Al Jazeera or Taliban TV since the topics are likely not to be my liking. That's how I exercise my choices.

I also exercise my choices by where I visit, or don't visit. It would be a shame that the moderators would kill a subject because a few object because they don't want dissenting opinions. That's called censorship and Facebook, twitter, YouTube and google already have that strategy locked up.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-15-2021, 05:31 PM   #13

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
All California State Parks closed.
They say fire danger, but I suspect there’s also a lack of sufficient staffing due to Covid.

And now that the governor is not recalled, it’s anticipated he will advance his power by requiring proof of vaccine for entry into most locations.

Will be interesting to watch the minority rebellion.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:51 PM   #14

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Let us know where you stay in Chattanooga and how clean price thx
We're in Raccoon Mountain RV Park and it's OK. There is a large county park on Lake Chickamauga, Chester frost, but it's strongly geared for the locals. Many sites are 3 and 5 day minimum and nothing is a 1 day according to their recent news letter. Harrison Bay state park also on the lake has a lot of sites but never stayed there. Down towards Trenton GA is a KOA rather hilly and not big rig super friendly. Hilly and windey. Places I've stayed are clean and you'll have to check pricing based on any discounts you may have.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #15

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
All California State Parks closed.
They say fire danger, but I suspect there’s also a lack of sufficient staffing due to Covid.

And now that the governor is not recalled, it’s anticipated he will advance his power by requiring proof of vaccine for entry into most locations.

Will be interesting to watch the minority rebellion.
Careful, you will be accused of inciting violence.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #16

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:

We've spent most of the summer in 1 of those "commie states" June in Alamogordo, Albuquerque and Santa Fe.
Alamogordo was fine, mask mandate lightly inforced no problem getting a campsite.
Albuquerque not so fine PROFF OF NM residency required for casino entrance the ban has been lifted, going to one today, no problem getting a campsite.
Santa Fe ok, mask enforcement sperodicly inforced no problem getting a campsite.
Now we're in Chama small town locals comply with mask mandate, some unwillingly no problem getting a campsite.

Speaking of commie states TX (home) has suddenly converted research TX new abortion law, then research TX open carry law, I'm very confused am I commie, not commie.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Careful, you will be accused of inciting violence.
Dude you love to stir the pot.

I don't think anyone gets "offended" by your commie comment. They just know it will bring the mods in and the comment will bring more political junk to the thread. Just stop already. This site is really getting old. Same bs day after day. Stick to thor related subject

Just my opinion of course

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #18

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Dude you love to stir the pot.

I don't think anyone gets "offended" by your commie comment. They just know it will bring the mods in and the comment will bring more political junk to the thread. Just stop already. This site is really getting old. Same bs day after day. Stick to thor related subject

Just my opinion of course

Jerry
Jerry you don't have to read my comments. In fact, block or ignore them and do us both a favor. Apparently some here are offended since some made a big deal of pointing it out. Some are so offended they are demanding it be closed and are watching us. Not sure what watching us is supposed to mean. Sounds sort of 3rd grade recess like.

Anyway most of our travels are no affected negatively except where previously noted. It's a shame the NP and facilities have prevented the public from enjoying what tax dollars support. I just wanted to advise someone anticipating visiting the NP to be prepared.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #19

THOR #20220
Thx my wife is on it..Chattanooga here we come
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #20

THOR #20220
Hi all..appreciate all comments I learn a lot. Santa fe is beautiful
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote