Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2020, 01:48 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
We just stayed at at Wmt in Georgia. We were the only ones there this time and it was really beautiful and quiet, and free.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:48 AM   #42

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
And then there are those that pontificate with sarcasm, self-righteousness and fool snobbery - little help to somebody in need. The OP asked a sincere question about a situation he/she was trying to figure out and suddenly the thread turned into the rights and wrongs about staying in a Walmart parking lot. Tell me, how did that help? I wonder if they’re trying to eliminate the competition and actually stay there themselves.

They also think they have command of the English language and use it to try and berate others. Nothing could be further from truth. True command of the language doesn’t include those elements. It’s more subtle in the way it draws you in and convinces you. It doesn’t turn you off. It makes you stop, listen and think.

You have to wonder if those same people know they share the DNA of a rat from 60 billion years ago. Why does that matter? Because if they were as educated as they try to convince everyone else they are, they would know it and not discard it as irrelevant. The meek shall inherit the earth has already happened and you don’t judge another person until you understand who they are, what they’re made of, and why.

If wanting to stay in a Walmart parking lot makes them a lesser creature, they themselves should remember they came from the same place and to mock others is to demonstrate they are less than the person they mock.

I am not going to go back to my APA days and cite numerous references. Let those that think they’re above the rest do that on their own. After all, they’re superior intellect should have taken them there first. I don't need a lecture on evolution or Darwinism. I had to study and learn it. The intellectually superior, in their own mind, will try to argue the facts and should stop there before they make further fools of themselves.

(re: https://www.irishnews.com/magazine/s...ative-1181112/)
Anything else you might add?

Interesting take

I think the intent was as honest as it can be to make a point that you should consider other options first not make Walmart the destination
Old 07-28-2020, 02:44 AM   #43

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Anything else you might add?

Interesting take

I think the intent was as honest as it can be to make a point that you should consider other options first not make Walmart the destination
Just one.

Maybe that was baked into his plan. You know him about as well as I do. Maybe he was looking for a solution to a problem. Who knows? Don't assume he is you and can do the same things you do. Maybe he can't. I will leave it there and bail this thread.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #44
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Made the news.

https://rvbusiness.com/once-a-haven-...now-saying-no/
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:33 PM   #45

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Whoaaa! Hold on a sec. "Personal responsibility" Duckface? Not all of us have the same options. I'm pretty sure you didn't mean that the way it sounded. I value your opinion - along w/all the folks who keep me movin & safe in my fulltime travels. I'm also a responsible owner & try to be a good Thor Forums community member - as I'm sure the person asking about wallmarts is. I think that you may have accidently forgot for a moment, or just misspoke, thinking that all responsible members here have the same sources of income or resources to travel responsibly whether they are retired, working, or even unemployed due to jus plain hard luck.

I know how much you have helped me out in the past, so I don't for a second believe it was an intentional sleight towards anyone. But jus in case not everyone here knows it, many of us don't have lots of resources. That doesn't mean we don't have, or don't believe in, personal responsibility as an rv'er. I'm not too proud to admit that I'm one of those without unlimited resources. Some of you probably know I'm a disabled vet, but many may not know how very creative I have to be on such a limited income to make it thru each month as a fulltimer.

I live on about $3k a month & still need to pay for my rig & all the requirements to maintain it & keep it legally insured out of that same amount. That leaves, in my case, about $500 each month to put either towards gas to travel to my next hoped for location, or to pay for an inexpensive place to stay put for the month. Notice I said "either", not both. That's it. That's what I've got to be personally responsible with. Any mishaps or unexpected expenses literally come out of my food budget. I bet I'm not the only one...

So, yes, I use Wallmarts & I shop them & am grateful for the ones still inviting the RV community. I'm also consider myself tough & well armed - but I still want to know which Wallmarts have safety issues - that doesn't mean I don't belong at a Wallmart overnight!

That being said, if we don't as a community support the continued use of Wallmarts, Cracker Barrels, etc... they will all eventually disappear as a resource for us. Even the fortunate "glampers" out there (blessed, in my opinion), will at times find that sheis happens & that Wallmart becomes a haven in the storm. I believe we need to continue to responsibly support all businesses that support the RV community (& "we" are not all cut from the same sailcloth). My apologies for side tracking the conversation, but I think it's important to remember that we, as a community, come from every possible circumstance & that doesn't mean we aren't personally responsible rv'ers.

So, back on topic, I use the "rvparky" app for my Wallmart reviews (& everything else!). I believe the original app designers no longer make system updates, but it's still available & I've noticed that rv'ers still update their reviews of places like Wallmart on the App. Hope that helps...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
The advent of pull through spaces kinda negates the argument you present about a towed vehicle.

If you can take the time to search out a Walmart you can take the time to search out a pull through rv space.

You can stop at the local Walmart and buy things you need on your way to that pull through or on your way out of town.
I will say that as a whole, this Thor group stops at Walmarts throughout their trips to replenish supplies, maybe even daily, without spending the night.

I think, and this is just me, the community here at the Thor forum might of late be trying to, in general, get people to accept a bit of personal responsibility.

I don't think we as a whole are being more harsh about the responsibilities that come with an rv, I think we're trying to get people to acknowledge the responsibility which comes with an rv
Old 08-01-2020, 08:46 PM   #46

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
'Wallmart becomes a haven in the storm.'

That's all I stand on, nothing more. I'm not sure I've said different in this thread, if I did, it was bad wording on my part.

Last resort, not first.
Last resort comes at different times and monetary amounts for different people.

The apps in the picture along with
Freeroam
And
Boondockers welcome

Allows Walmart to become the place it was meant to be:
A port in a storm by way of break-down, misplanned timing, the direct deposit didn't hit the bank, foul weather, your brother-in-law throws you out of his driveway at 2am.

(I'll be here for you from Gallup to Kingman if the need arises. I'm think I've sent you my contact info)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2020-08-01-13-57-02.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	25341  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #47

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Solder Girl
We stay at Walmart, Cracker Barrel, etc as often as possible admittedly they cost more than Walmart but Walmart is SO much more convenient .
Old 08-05-2020, 11:38 PM   #48

State: California
THOR #19450
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but there are several articles that state Walmart parking lots are full of crime. Just be careful.

Wal-Mart Parking Lots Are Virtual Magnet For Crime | JR Roberts
Old 08-05-2020, 11:39 PM   #49

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
cut...
(I'll be here for you from Gallup to Kingman if the need arises. I'm think I've sent you my contact info)
That's an admirable offer. She may want to realize she will be subjugated to your opinion and take on the world while in your presence. From what I've read, it's not a pleasant place.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:28 AM   #50

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
That's an admirable offer. She may want to realize she will be subjugated to your opinion and take on the world while in your presence. From what I've read, it's not a pleasant place.

Lol, Couldn’t agree more!!!!!