Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #161

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
The percentage of people actually dying from the virus is very small when you drill down to the facts

Now it appears the vaccine may only be effective for 6 months

It truly comes down to whether you are prone to the respiratory side of it or not and also the medical community has a decent handle on how to treat it finally

Since I am in my mid 70's is should be panic stricken per the media however we traveled and attended events such as being at the Lake of the Ozarks last year

Lo and behold no one in our gatherings last year and we had many, have died

the very few that did have CV had mild cases including the 80-100 group in the family
Perhaps if you have not personally known any who have died of COVID -19 disease , you think the death numbers are small do not amount to much. I live in a CCRC Village where the average age is just over 80 years. We have 750+ residents. Eight residents died in November when an asymptomatic caregiver brought the SARS-2 virus into our memory center. One was of the wife of a 92 year old neighbor. The couple were married when he was in pilot training at the start of the Korean war. They remained devoted to each other through four years of separation during two wars and one 12 month remote assignment. The people who have died matter to someone.

Fortunately the 12 people in independent living who contacted the SARS-2 virus only three were hospitalized and only one still experiencing some lasting effects of the COVID-19 disease. None of the residents in skilled nursing or assisted living contracted the SARS-2 virus due to the extortionary procedure to isolate those frail members of our Village. All the residents have been vaccinated as have 66% of our staff. All are hopeful the that the pandemic has passed and we can get back to enjoying our last few years of life. Memorial Day will be especially important and somber this year at the Air Force Village.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #162

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I waited for the J&J version as it was more traditionally developed and only needs one shot. Getting it today actually. Honestly, I’m rather ambivalent about the whole thing though.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #163
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
The percentage of people actually dying from the virus is very small when you drill down to the facts

Now it appears the vaccine may only be effective for 6 months

It truly comes down to whether you are prone to the respiratory side of it or not and also the medical community has a decent handle on how to treat it finally

Since I am in my mid 70's is should be panic stricken per the media however we traveled and attended events such as being at the Lake of the Ozarks last year

Lo and behold no one in our gatherings last year and we had many, have died

the very few that did have CV had mild cases including the 80-100 group in the family
You are reading that wrong since it hasn't been studied long enough (e.g. there are no long term studies longer than 6 months):

The vaccine is effective for at least 6 months.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:08 PM   #164

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
When you lose someone close to you from Covid it changes your perspective completely. Before we lost someone the numbers of Covid deaths on the nightly news were just numbers. After, it isn't just 3% of those infected anymore. There was a living, caring person and now they are gone.
I have seen some of the comments referring to those that get a vaccine as sheep. Well that is close, though it should have been cattle as we are striving to reach herd immunity. If my getting a vaccine helps our country and our world get a fraction of an inch closer to herd immunity than I will roll up my sleeve and do my part.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 04-01-2021, 05:10 PM   #165
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You are reading that wrong since it hasn't been studied long enough (e.g. there are no long term studies longer than 6 months):

Amen...
Old 04-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #166

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

That is my understanding as well although the most recent poop is that annual shots might be required due to virus variants - much like flu shots where they try to guess the seasonal strain.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:41 PM   #167

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I certainly understand your point

The numbers are misleading and it's probably best to leave it there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
"Drilling down to the facts"; means nothing if you're one of the 548,000 (approximately), that have died here in America...
It's only been out for 6 Months.. or less.

They'll know how long it's good for: when it stops working.
In the meantime: I prefer to think it's still doing it's job!
Old 04-01-2021, 07:18 PM   #168

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
That is my understanding as well although the most recent poop is that annual shots might be required due to virus variants - much like flu shots where they try to guess the seasonal strain.
There are/were no mRNA flu vaccines.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:49 AM   #169

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Our first shot of Moderna, the wife and I both had sore arms for a day or so. The second shot, my wife experienced flu like symptoms, fever, chills and aching for a day. Me, I just didn't feel great the next day for most of the day.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #170
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Second dose just administered so we’ll see how it goes.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:11 PM   #171
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Good kick!
Old 04-03-2021, 01:43 AM   #172

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Received my second dose three days ago of the Moderna, the first Inj. was just a sore arm second the day after was chills head ace and just felt run down today a bit of a sore arm nothing more, well worth it.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:06 AM   #173
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad to read that the benefits have outweighed the side effects...
Old 04-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #174

THOR #6826
I’m two days after the J&J injection. The shot itself was painless (compared to the other four vaccinations I’ve had in the last year or so) and I’ve had no arm pain. I was very tired and had a headache the day after but I’m just splendid today. Full effect in 14 days, they say. Lots easier than my wife’s Pfizer ordeal.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #175

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Glad to here that you faired well after the J & J. I received the Shingrix series last year and struggled after both injections, I went into the covid vaccine that it couldn't be no worse then the Shingrix vaccine, I was correct much less reaction at least for me, I'm not a big fan of either but know folks that have had both viruses Shingles and still struggling through Covid. I want nothing to do with either...
Old 04-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #176
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Pfizer dose 2 + 23 hours

23 hours after dose 2 of the Pfizer. I am not yet a Zombie. Some soreness of the left arm (injection site) and a very mild headache off and on. I did wake up thirsty a couple of times overnight and drank about 32 oz of water from 11:00pm until 7:30am.

We’ll see how the next 24 hours goes.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:45 PM   #177
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad to read that a quart of water cured your thirst...
Had you been thirsty for human blood or brains: it would not have been a good sign...
Old 04-03-2021, 05:33 PM   #178

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015axis View Post
Glad to here that you faired well after the J & J. I received the Shingrix series last year and struggled after both injections, I went into the covid vaccine that it couldn't be no worse then the Shingrix vaccine, I was correct much less reaction at least for me, I'm not a big fan of either but know folks that have had both viruses Shingles and still struggling through Covid. I want nothing to do with either...

I did the shingles series last fall and had a rough time with both doses as well. But I’ve watched others experience shingles and I too want nothing to do with that! I’m not a big fan of putting chemicals in my body - I try to eat natural foods and I avoid taking meds when I can. But to deny the scientific wonders of the modern era just would be foolish. We’re all moving our beds closer to the door each day anyway and all we can do is try to make the most logical decisions we can.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #179
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Putting chemicals in my body"...
Wasn't that what College was for?
Old 04-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #180
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I had a Chief Corpsman on my last submarine who had a favorite saying: "Better living through chemistry."
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Closed Thread