Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Florida
THOR #14871
After three nights in St Augustine at the Compass RV Park (a great spot by the way), we headed off on our cross country trip to Washington. I know, virus central and all that but we are currently homeless in our RV and have to head that direction so off we go. First night on the road and we landed in Forsyth GA at the L& D Campground. Rustic but peaceful. Time for some dinner and my nightly martini. Cheers all.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:59 PM   #22

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post
I have always wanted to play a concertina. Maybe when this stuff settles down.

Oh yeah - at our old time jam we also have a guy who plays concertina and guitar. Actually quite good.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #23

THOR #14871
So far all of the campgrounds we are calling are open along I 40 going west from Arkansas.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #24

State: California
THOR #10151
Why Leaving Florida?

Quote:
Of course everything looked just hunky dory when we initiated this plan. About 6 months ago we decided to return back home to Washington state from Florida. We sold our house very quickly and started making our moving and travel plans.

So now here we sit at our first campground in St Augustine for a week while the dust settles from the house sale and then we hope to start drive our Four Winds 26B north and west. Keep your fingers crossed. We sure picked a great time to be homeless!

Phil

Why are you leaving Florida, heading back to Washington? Seems odd!
Old 03-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #25

THOR #10151
Why are you leaving Florida?
Old 03-25-2020, 06:24 PM   #26

THOR #14871
We just never adapted to Florida living. Too hot for us and way to many venomous snakes. After a life in Washington of over 40 years I missed home.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:26 PM   #27

THOR #10151
Oh, makes sense. I always thot having alligators in the backyard was odd also.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:31 PM   #28

THOR #14871
Kind of enjoyed the gators. Almost to Amarillo today. Haven’t had a totally closed campground yet. Just no services available for the most part.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #29

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I was in a BLM campground last week and when the US and Canada announced the border closure the campground and the long term campground started to empty out, the Canadians were worried of getting locked out of their own country, campers who went into town complained of shortages of some basics, when I left I was able to shop the commissary at Yuma Proving Grounds, no line and got everything I needed, gas on the base was about a dollar a gallon cheaper then what I pay in San Diego
Old 03-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #30

Model: Thor Fun Mover
THOR #3112
I've lived in Florida my whole life. Gators, snakes, black bears, sharks, skeeters..... causes children to grow up with great reflexes.

Sorry you are leaving. I can see why you would miss Washington. It is a beautiful state. My husband and I love traveling there.

Ya'll come back to visit, ya hear. Safe travels.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #31

Brand: Keystone
State: North Carolina
THOR #5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Check your route carefully before you travel. Many states are closing rest areas on interstates and since these were nice stops for rvers some extra planning is in order.

Resisting the urge to make a joke about banjo playing and social distancing
At least a couple states reopened as truckers said they couldn’t legally drive so they wouldn’t be able to make deliveries
Old 03-25-2020, 08:22 PM   #32

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13555
Going across country is this difficult time

We were in Saint Augustine for February then took off across the country and were in Tucson (we were doing National parks and interesting landmarks) when we realized how bad things were getting. We cut our trip short by 2 weeks and stared back to PA. Walmart’s were a life saver, we were able to get supplies and had a place to stay for the night. Most restaurants and fast food were take out only. For the few times we did eat out we pulled up near restaurant called in order even though we could not do drive through were able to pick up. The only problem we had was finding potable water and dumps.
Weirdest feeling driving home was the lack of traffic even in large cities. We didn’t need to use by passes
If I were you I’d stay in Saint Augustine till all is better.
Best of luck!
Old 03-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #33

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Of course everything looked just hunky dory when we initiated this plan. About 6 months ago we decided to return back home to Washington state from Florida. We sold our house very quickly and started making our moving and travel plans.

So now here we sit at our first campground in St Augustine for a week while the dust settles from the house sale and then we hope to start drive our Four Winds 26B north and west. Keep your fingers crossed. We sure picked a great time to be homeless!

Phil
We sat around here in FL for a couple months while the snowbirds invaded and now we're sitting around a couple more months because the virus invaded
Old 04-04-2020, 10:04 PM   #34

THOR #14871
Having hit the road back on the 23rd of March, we are finally one short day away from our destination. The campgrounds we have booked have all been open to campers but no amenities at all. Most have the restrooms closed, no sales of goods other than we did manage to buy propane one time.

Stay safe out there and we hope to see you on the road again when things get safer out there.

Phil
Old 04-05-2020, 12:20 AM   #35

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
BANJOS! If you make your way to the Smokies, look me up. Banjo and guitar player here. Here in Townsend we have a great Monday night jam - old time, Appalachian and Celtic music. Dulcimers, guitars, fiddles, hammered dulcimers, ukes, bodhran drum, penny whistle, mandolin, and of course, banjos. And if bluegrass is your thing, there's another jam opportunity on Friday nights.

Mickey
I can attest to the jam sessions being great! The wife and I stopped in to see Mickey and friends they were awesome!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:22 AM   #36

THOR #14871
Sounds like a good time. I am looking forward to getting some jamming in with old friends as soon as things lighten up.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #37

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
I can attest to the jam sessions being great! The wife and I stopped in to see Mickey and friends they were awesome!

Thanks - great to meet y'all.

Sessions are on hold for the time being - hate it, but that's the reality these days. Come on, summer and hot weather! (Not sure I thought I'd ever say that!) But hotter temps and the sunshine are ~supposed~ to slow the virus down appreciably.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:19 PM   #38

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
Thanks - great to meet y'all.

Sessions are on hold for the time being - hate it, but that's the reality these days. Come on, summer and hot weather! (Not sure I thought I'd ever say that!) But hotter temps and the sunshine are ~supposed~ to slow the virus down appreciably.

Really I haven’t heard that good news
Old 04-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #39

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
We wintered 2 years in Florida & totally agree, they can keep it!
Our son & family has lived in Washington, Tacoma area, & they can keep that as well, we can't afford to visit very long let alone live there.
They also were in the Tri Cities area for couple years, less expensive & less people, better weather, but still wouldn't live there.
We ended our full-time lifestyle in southern Arizona which a lot of folks don't care for either, but there's a park full of Washington & Oregon license plates all winter.
Lots of great places to live between Fla & Wash that in my opinion would be better than either.