Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2021, 09:02 PM   #41
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawThor View Post
thanks for this response, I suspect that the problem I had was that once my batteries were depleted due to someone disconnected my solar/storage charger, that "disconnect" would not engage, even when shore power was ON. OR, I was not aware that the power switch toggle you call the USE/STORE (not labeled in mine) controls this relay. I have/had never toggled it on if connected to shore power, its already lit. Would that have activated that solenoid? not sure I am going to like this answer...
Generally - No. That light is an indicator of 12 VDC power on the DC buss, not a status indicator of the USE/STORE, Battery Disconnect switch. It just lights when there is power on the DC buss - it could be getting the power from the converter when plugged in. The only time the light will indicate that your latching relay is closed is when you are not connected to shore power.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 11:07 PM   #42

State: Alabama
THOR #28706
Where is the store switch located
Old 12-22-2022, 01:06 AM   #43
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubbard View Post
Where is the store switch located
Can't get an exact answer without knowing your Year/Make/Model of your RV. Otherwise it's normally within arms reach of the entry door.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:20 PM   #44

State: Alabama
THOR #28706
thor

It is a 2012 thor Hurricane 32A. Lights work when Gen is running but not when its off.Is there a switch on the inverter?
Old 12-22-2022, 04:38 PM   #45
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubbard View Post
It is a 2012 thor Hurricane 32A. Lights work when Gen is running but not when its off.Is there a switch on the inverter?
An inverter takes 12 VDC from the batteries and creates 120 VAC for outlets and appliances (residential fridge).

An inverter (IF you have one) has nothing to do with your DC lighting,

Your converter takes 120 VAC from SP or the generator and converts it to 12+ VDC to charge the batteries and run DC loads like interior lighting. It only charges the batteries if the battery disconnect (USE/STORE switch) is closed (In USE).
The batteries only supply DC loads if the battery disconnect (USE/STORE switch) is closed (In USE).

Your USE/STORE switch should be to your left as you enter the MH on the side of the kitchen cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221222_114347.png
Views:	21
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	40426  
Old 12-22-2022, 04:43 PM   #46

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
My guess is your house batteries are toast.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:17 PM   #47

Model: Outlaw 38MB
THOR #27764
So, let me see if I understand this correctly. If you don't have your battery disconnect set to "use" when on shore power, then your house batteries won't charge (assuming the solar isn't outputting and the engine isn't running). If you have your inverter on, the house batteries will discharge. If you try to switch it to "use" with the batteries dead, the disconnect relay won't close because there is no battery power to close it, even though you have plugged into shore power. You then have to manually charge the batteries with an external charger, or solar, or run the engine, to bring them up enough to activate the disconnect relay to put it in the "use" position, so that they will charge from the converter.

New Outlaw owner trying to understand,

Paul
Old 02-04-2023, 07:03 PM   #48
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r6 View Post
So, let me see if I understand this correctly. If you don't have your battery disconnect set to "use" when on shore power, then your house batteries won't charge (assuming the solar isn't outputting and the engine isn't running). If you have your inverter on, the house batteries will discharge. If you try to switch it to "use" with the batteries dead, the disconnect relay won't close because there is no battery power to close it, even though you have plugged into shore power. You then have to manually charge the batteries with an external charger, or solar, or run the engine, to bring them up enough to activate the disconnect relay to put it in the "use" position, so that they will charge from the converter.

New Outlaw owner trying to understand,

Paul
You have it exactly right!
Old 02-05-2023, 05:35 PM   #49

THOR #27764
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You have it exactly right!
Great!

So, I found the problem (I think) with 12v only working with shore power. 5 amp fuse on the left side(house battery side) of the disconnect solenoid was blown. Replaced fuse and it blew again when switch was depressed. Removed wires from the solenoid coil terminals and the coil reads 0 ohms, should be 4 ohms I think.

I'm looking for the wiring diagram of this circuit, it's not included in schematics PDF that I downloaded for my coach from the Thor customer service website. Anybody have one, or know where I can find one?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 02-05-2023, 05:47 PM   #50
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r6 View Post
Great!

So, I found the problem (I think) with 12v only working with shore power. 5 amp fuse on the left side(house battery side) of the disconnect solenoid was blown. Replaced fuse and it blew again when switch was depressed. Removed wires from the solenoid coil terminals and the coil reads 0 ohms, should be 4 ohms I think.

I'm looking for the wiring diagram of this circuit, it's not included in schematics PDF that I downloaded for my coach from the Thor customer service website. Anybody have one, or know where I can find one?

Thanks,
Paul

Go to the manufacturer's site of your latching relay (RV Custom Products or Intellitec) and download their PDF - it has a connection schematic in it.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:16 PM   #51

THOR #27764
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Go to the manufacturer's site of your latching relay (RV Custom Products or Intellitec) and download their PDF - it has a connection schematic in it.
I believe this is it:
https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...y-lr9806t1-bip

Kib has nothing that I could find, was hoping there were detailed Thor schematics floating around...
Old 02-11-2023, 09:12 PM   #52

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
so, one last question? While driving i have the GENSET running.

The Engine Alternator voltage is showing 14.6 Vdc on my DC voltage meter, this is charging the house batteries.

The converter is also producing DC voltage, but the engine generator has a higher output voltage and the engine alternator charges the house batteries ?

I know we beat this to death...
Old 02-11-2023, 09:33 PM   #53
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
so, one last question? While driving i have the GENSET running.

The Engine Alternator voltage is showing 14.6 Vdc on my DC voltage meter, this is charging the house batteries.

The converter is also producing DC voltage, but the engine generator has a higher output voltage and the engine alternator charges the house batteries ?

I know we beat this to death...
"One last question"? It's your first post in this thread.

Is there a question? You have stated basic DC circuit facts.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:06 AM   #54

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Yes, my thinking was since there are 2 sources trying to charge the house batteries, should i trip the converter CB? Or does the converter sense this voltage from the engine alternator and automatically go into a float mode?
Old 02-12-2023, 03:22 AM   #55
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
Yes, my thinking was since there are 2 sources trying to charge the house batteries, should i trip the converter CB? Or does the converter sense this voltage from the engine alternator and automatically go into a float mode?
It senses the DC buss voltage and goes into float mode as you surmised (smart charging functions).

But regardless, the converter/charger can not be "backfed" by the higher alternator voltage due to the diodes in it's circuitry. The higher voltage source will supply the DC loads and charge the batteries.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:40 PM   #56

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #28573
I had a similar issue. Took me awhile to find it, I searched all over. Ultimately I found the battery ground cable was disconnected at the lug on the frame. Actually the eye-loop that was crimped onto the cable had pulled off. It was a simple fix.

Sorry if someone already suggested it, I didn't bother reading 3 pages of posts.

Tags
battery, dc breaker