Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
19G joined by “Compact Plus”

The Thor 19G rented by Cruise America as their “Compact” motorhome has been joined by a slightly larger “Compact Plus” with a completely different floor plan. I do not know if Thor builds the new compact motorhome which is similar to the 19G in width, height, overhead cab, etc.

A major difference is that the new Class C has a much larger dinette in the rear which can sleep two adults, so it does not require a couple to have to climb onto overhead bed.

Overall length is listed at 20’-6”, making it shorter than common van campers built on Extended ProMaster; so parking should be pretty easy.

Like the 19G, it has wet bath, appearing larger in pictures than those in most vans. Outside storage is just over 10 cubic feet, which is very small but almost double that of 19G. And it’s pass through so can handle longer items.

I have no idea of Cruise America’s tow rating for this Compact Plus model, but with large Ford V8 on E-350 chassis, this model if privately owned may be able to tow quite a bit more than most Class B.

I like seeing new compact Class C designs built on E-350 single rear wheel chassis, rather than just Transit and Sprinter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	622D87AA-BBD7-4AC2-8329-030BB25FA272.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	33249   Click image for larger version

Name:	60873074-4AE5-4227-856D-F163483C1AA2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	33250  

Name:	1E4CF05F-8B0F-4306-8A46-2256AE22696B.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	33251  

Old 09-04-2021, 12:13 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Last year some friends rented from CA and I thought they said that towing behind one was prohibited. May not have even had a hitch.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:09 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The lot where we store our RV rents these out.

You can tell the "busy" weekends because there are none parked at the lot. On slow weekends the place is full with them. I haven't noticed the different sizes as they all look the same to me.

The dog picture in the door always gets me though...LOL.

Youtube video of it:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 02:20 AM   #4

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Last year some friends rented from CA and I thought they said that towing behind one was prohibited. May not have even had a hitch.

All the ones I’ve noticed had receivers. Granted, it’s very rare to see a Cruise America towing, even a car/toad. Most renters probably don’t have a car they could tow unless using a dolly, and that’s probably a bit much for average renters who haven’t driven a large truck or motorhome before.

CA do change rules occasionally. When we first rented they didn’t allow dogs, and recently my son rented from CA because they did permit dogs (not sure if there is a number or size limit on dogs/pets). A quick call will likely clarify any restrictions.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:59 AM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The lot where we store our RV rents these out.

You can tell the "busy" weekends because there are none parked at the lot. On slow weekends the place is full with them. I haven't noticed the different sizes as they all look the same to me.

The dog picture in the door always gets me though...LOL.

....cut....

Cruise America had three motorhome sizes when we first rented about 25 years ago if I recall correctly, but the mid-size was discontinued and the 23A floorplan became the mid-size, with the much smaller 19G being added as the Compact. We drove the discontinued intermediate from Houston to Colorado, Tetons, Yellowstone, Badlands, etc. on our first motorhome trip.

Their literature lists Four Winds as manufacturer through about 2010, and Thor thereafter (must be when Thor acquired Four Winds).

Anyways, CA now also rents the “Compact Plus” Class C (which I wouldn’t mind trying as a test if available in Houston) and a slide-in truck camper on Ford F-150. All locations do not necessarily rent all motorhome options.

If I had to guess, Thor probably builds the new Compact Plus also. The video you posted shows the pass thru storage compartment at rear, but also shows that the compartment doors are not very tall. I’m curious if doors are tall enough for a cooler or average plastic container to go through. In any case, the rear storage compartment is much larger than that of 19G. This new unit should be able to handle a few folded chairs, and a 10X10 canopy plus extra room for tool box, small grill, etc. Limited outside storage is a real disadvantage of the 19G floor plan in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FED49DA0-074B-4C01-8AD4-AC7FFD05931E.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	33332   Click image for larger version

Name:	7228069E-A198-4B62-A14C-FF863593B93E.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	33333  

Old 09-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Anyways, CA now also rents the “Compact Plus” Class C (which I wouldn’t mind trying as a test if available in Houston) and a slide-in truck camper on Ford F-150. All locations do not necessarily rent all motorhome options.
The website lists:

Quote:
This vehicle is available at our Carson (CA), Newark (CA), Las Vegas, and Mesa (AZ) locations.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:21 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's a really nice-looking little rig!
Old 09-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post

Following up on this topic; Cruise America clearly states towing is allowed, although weight limit may make towing impractical anyway.

They also state cats and dogs are allowed.

I can’t see statement regarding towing for Compact Plus, but other sized are the same. Pet policy seems less restrictive by comparison.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D241815D-07E7-4B3E-B3AA-2B4271F83130.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	33401   Click image for larger version

Name:	5241B7A2-9A14-4867-B0A3-C71E063958A5.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	33402  

Old 09-06-2021, 08:11 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Thanks. A design feature that got my attention was that floor-plan arrangement is essentially the same as the very first motorhome I drove (if you want to call it a motorhome ).

Based on Toyota pickup with 97 HP and 128 lb-ft (if I recall model correctly), it was about 18 feet long and tiny compared to the new Compact Plus. It had a stick shift between front seats which made moving to back while on road extremely difficult, even for young and small adults. I suppose that when we were in our 20s it was easier to squeeze between seats, or into the small closet that passed for an emergency restroom.

Notice in picture I found on Internet that rear wheels were widened so they could use larger tires for added weight over rear axle. That detail I remembered clearly because it concerned me. The new E-350 SRW could use larger tires also, which Ford should offer in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	29ED014F-4F07-44B7-A9F3-EAF93D6B4445.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	33404