Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2021, 01:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Steps caution

I nearly busted my butt this evening because the top step, the one with battery access, won't secure. The latch works but there are no brackets holding the inboard parts of the step. As a result, if you step on or near the edge of the step, it rolls open and off. I was lubing the door weather stripping with some silicone spray to attempt to stop squeaking while driving. As I leaned over to get the top of the door weather stripping, I was on the edge of the step and it rolled completely off position dumping me out on the ground. Fortunately even at 72 with back and knee surgeries, I managed to stay upright and only bruised a shoulder when I hit the door frame.

I had felt it move some but never thought it would come completely off. It seems that there should be a couple small "L" brackets that the edge of the step tread would slide in to secure its position. I think I have some wood screws that I can put in the corners so the screw head in on top of the tread holding it down. When I get home I'll make a proper bracket. Dangerous and careless work at the factory.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:49 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Most Thor products are a work in progress and some owner assembly is required.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:12 AM   #3

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Most Thor products are a work in progress and some owner assembly is required.
Yes and what I've observed on my own Omni, it's pathetically poor quality assembly. Sadly these are things you can't see when looking and won't be apparent during a PDI. That is unless you disassemble the thing on the dealer's lot and have on hand a stack of proper fasteners and proper tools. Some assembly is OK, spending considerable time and money NOT ok. If it doesn't kill me getting home I'll fix it the professional way, not there thor way.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #4

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I nearly busted my butt this evening because the top step, the one with battery access, won't secure. The latch works but there are no brackets holding the inboard parts of the step. As a result, if you step on or near the edge of the step, it rolls open and off. I was lubing the door weather stripping with some silicone spray to attempt to stop squeaking while driving. As I leaned over to get the top of the door weather stripping, I was on the edge of the step and it rolled completely off position dumping me out on the ground. Fortunately even at 72 with back and knee surgeries, I managed to stay upright and only bruised a shoulder when I hit the door frame.

I had felt it move some but never thought it would come completely off. It seems that there should be a couple small "L" brackets that the edge of the step tread would slide in to secure its position. I think I have some wood screws that I can put in the corners so the screw head in on top of the tread holding it down. When I get home I'll make a proper bracket. Dangerous and careless work at the factory.
Glad you are OK. I don't quite get the picture on what's missing. Doesn't the back hinge keep the step connected?
Old 09-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #5

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
Glad you are OK. I don't quite get the picture on what's missing. Doesn't the back hinge keep the step connected?
There is no back hinge or anything to keep the step in place. Just the front clip.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-12-2021, 12:28 AM   #6

THOR #18758
Quote:
There is no back hinge or anything to keep the step in place. Just the front clip.
Wow, just wow.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:48 AM   #7

THOR #22586
Quote:
Wow, just wow.
Those were not exactly my words or thoughts as I propelled to the outside in a semi controlled fashion. A hinge makes sense but alas, thor forgot.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-12-2021, 12:54 AM   #8

THOR #18758
Quote:
Those were not exactly my words or thoughts as I propelled to the outside in a semi controlled fashion. A hinge makes sense but alas, thor forgot.
If that was me, the expletives would've been flying. I can post a picture tomorrow and measure the size of the hinges if you'd like.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:01 AM   #9

THOR #22586
Quote:
If that was me, the expletives would've been flying. I can post a picture tomorrow and measure the size of the hinges if you'd like.
Would appreciate the info. When I get back it's to go "into the shop" for a couple warranty items. I'll add this to the list.

My words were not exactly for prime time. Fortunately no small impressionable children were nearby. Course if I had of hit wrong, something squishy to break my fall would have been nice.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Great, thanks chunker,
Let me add this to my thor re do list.
Will check tomorrow, because if it was me falling, my blood thinners would show the effectiveness and my wife would end up in jail for spousal abuse LOL.
TERRY
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:36 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
What specific MH is this? I'm assuming a class C with under step battery compartment.

Unless it's been altered by a previous owner, there is a metal piano-style hinge securing the top step to the wood riser. Did the rubber mat material come loose, or the entire step?
Old 09-12-2021, 11:11 PM   #12

THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
What specific MH is this? I'm assuming a class C with under step battery compartment.

Unless it's been altered by a previous owner, there is a metal piano-style hinge securing the top step to the wood riser. Did the rubber mat material come loose, or the entire step?
He's got an XG32 and it does not have the piano hinge like this 1" one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	33576  
Old 09-12-2021, 11:28 PM   #13

THOR #22586
Quote:
As Gmthrust said it's an Omni XG32 just like my sig line says. No hinge at all and it's new so previous owner was either Thor or the dealer, take your pick.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #14

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
glad you're ok

wrt the squeaking, Have you tried 2 wraps of black electricians tape around the door striker? Its all metal and was the source of most of my squeaking. I've ordered plastic covers on amazon but they havent arrived so I cant comment on how effective they are.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, rig is @ the dealership getting the entire door swapped. Mine flops around @70 so much that you can see light around the edges. I sent Thor video of it literally shaking itself apart it was losing trim on the highway. They didnt argue.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
As Gmthrust said it's an Omni XG32 just like my sig line says. No hinge at all and it's new so previous owner was either Thor or the dealer, take your pick.
I'm in the mobile app, so I can't see your sig line

But glad you weren't seriously injured! If no success at the dealer, maybe you can install a piano hinge yourself... there's quite a variety at most big box stores.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #16

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I'm in the mobile app, so I can't see your sig line

But glad you weren't seriously injured! If no success at the dealer, maybe you can install a piano hinge yourself... there's quite a variety at most big box stores.
That was my plan. But I'm going to make the issue known to thor CS.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-18-2021, 01:09 AM   #17

THOR #22586
Deleted
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-20-2021, 01:27 PM   #18

THOR #22586
Quote:
GM a quick question about the hinge. I presume it's a metal hinge and on the step tread are the screws on the back side of the tread or under the rubber "floor" of the tread going into the top of the tread? The riser part of the assembly has a metal plate across the width but no screw holes in the wood under the metal. No evidence of any hinge being mounted on the step tread anywhere either.

I sent Thor CS a message over the weekend describing the missing hinge and my mishap stepping out of the coach, requesting they send me the parts and I would install. I also explained that I had called the local CW and had not received any call back. Same CW that wouldn't follow up back about certain other warranty items. This morning first thing was a reply from Brittany Braun with Thor CS requesting pictures that I offered.

I'll post results when they are available. I'll have to commend Thor and their customer service on quick responses. They do follow this forum and will reach out to owners if they feel it's necessary. That's how the past bumper issue went.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-20-2021, 01:39 PM   #19

THOR #18758
Quote:
GM a quick question about the hinge. I presume it's a metal hinge and on the step tread are the screws on the back side of the tread or under the rubber "floor" of the tread going into the top of the tread? The riser part of the assembly has a metal plate across the width but no screw holes in the wood under the metal. No evidence of any hinge being mounted on the step tread anywhere either.
Yes, it is a metal hinge, measured 1" width on each side of the hinge.
Yes, the tread is screwed into the top of the tread and under the rubber "floor" (you can feel the screw heads under the rubber.
I'm curious about the metal plate. Got a picture you can post?
Hope I answered your questions.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #20

THOR #22586
Quote:
Yes, it is a metal hinge, measured 1" width on each side of the hinge.
Yes, the tread is screwed into the top of the tread and under the rubber "floor" (you can feel the screw heads under the rubber.
I'm curious about the metal plate. Got a picture you can post?
Hope I answered your questions.
Yes that did and I'll post some pictures of mine when I can get them edited/rotated/fixed. On mine under the rubber tread covering is a metal plate with numerous screws. It runs along the entire width of the tread and is far more screws than necessary to assemble the tread. The metal plate on the riser has 12-13 holes, the same number of holes/screws that your picture had. So it appears that the hinge is first installed on the step tread, they when placed in position, the screws that go through the hinge holes should line up with the riser plate holes and the damn thing won't come apart and propel me outside. Thanks
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ