Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #285
2014 Chateau Wheel Simulators

The wheel simulators on my Chateau ended up being wheel covers (hub caps). They're not screwed on but attached the same way any hub cap fastens to a wheel. I thought I was missing a t-tool wrench to remove the simulator but a call to the factory cleared up the issue. (you may need to wait a while to speak with a tech rep but once your connected, they're very helpful)

I couldn't access the dual rear inner or outer tire valves without removing the simulator first. I'm tempted to leave them off rather than prying them off every month to check the tire pressures.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
When I had my motor coach, I put valve stem extensions on. Made it a lot easier checking the inner duel.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #3

State: Arizona
THOR #285
I've decided to remove the simulators permanently and allow easier access to the tire valves. The wheels don't look bad after a little touch up paint.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

State: Vermont
THOR #386
Those snap on covers have been a real issue with our older (06) MH. Tend to come off after they have been removed several times and the ears which hold them tight to the rim get relaxed. I have tried to reshape those to get a better fit but to no avail. Have lost two over the years and have chased one many times into the brush!
Bought a replacement cap from a dealer and it seems to be a much stronger design and has not caused any issues but they are expensive replacements at $100 each.
A tire dealer in the area suggested using RTV to assist in holding them onto the rim which I have been reluctant to do.
I would wax those white rims and try to keep the brake dust off of them. Think that may be the challenge running without covers.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
"I'm tempted to leave them off rather than prying them off every month to check the tire pressures."

Every month?? I met a mobile service tech while staying at Port Canaveral campground a year or so ago. He sat down and talked for 2 hours. He said the biggest issues owners have with RV's are 98% associated to uneven tire pressure, overloading and lack of general preventive maintenance. The first thing he does when he makes a service call is check tire pressures. In 10 years, he hasn't found one yet with proper, balanced pressure. I have a daily checklist and tire pressure is on it. There's a video on YouTube of a Class A that had a blowout at 70MPH. Not pretty. By the way...wheels look good!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Put a TPMS on and you'll check every trip.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:40 AM   #7

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
i have 3 different size tire gages. all are Milton brand and they all read different. so know wonder you get a different reading every time. anyone know of a good brand gage?Melton used to be one of the best till they started coming from across the pond.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:23 AM   #8

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I saw a video where a guy used stainless steel zip-ties to hold the simulators on. Not sure how long they need to be tho.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ea-Heavy...wAAOSw5cNYfmS~
Old 04-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I've never seen a TPMS system that was completely accurate. They give a good indication that you don't have a flat but a single tire can be 5-6 pounds off and that transfers to the other sister tire. This can cause overheating, distortion and separation at high speeds and hot weather. Not so much a problem with a light truck or car but with campers it can be disastrous. I'm a bit over anal with tires anyway. I worked in that industry for years...my friends and family hate to see me walk over to their vehicles and start looking at tires. Scary video link here:

https://youtu.be/9LkLeljt4t0
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I eventually came to the same conclusion and put mine in my attic. i wish I'd done it years ago!!!

I fought with different valve extentions that leaked or that didn't play nicely with my pressure sensors.

I tried to modify them with larger openings so that I could get at the sensors. It helped some but sadly I don't have the proper tooling so I butchered them a bit and they still weren't totally accessible.

Nothing but headache and grief.

By the time I pulled mine off, the wheels were thoroughly scratched up from all the times through the years I had to remove the simulators so I had to paint them. Since i did it mounted and with tires in place they didn't end up that great, but good enough I think.

No extensions at all, just standard valves. i can reach through to get at my dust caps in storage or to put my pressure sensors on when ready to go. It has been such a relief!