Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2015, 11:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Missouri
THOR #1750
2015 Four Winds - Flooded Cabin

We took our new Four Winds 23U class C on the road for the first time a few days ago and, on the way home, ran into heavy rain. My wife happened to turn around and saw water running everywhere on the floor...it seemed to be coming from under the dinette.

I pulled off the highway and dismantled the cushions and plywood to gain access to the dinette cavity. Water was everywhere inside the cavity and was running under the frame and onto the main floor area. Three small throw rugs and two dog beds were saturated; although it was a mess, this helped contain some of the water.

We mopped up all the water we could with bath towels and continued our trip home. After taking pictures of the water still standing in the dinette area, I used a wet vac to pull out as much water as I could. I removed about two gallons from the cavity that encompasses the fresh water tank. After spending over three hours doing cleanup work, I decided to let things dry out overnight.

In looking at the standing water pattern, it appeared the water was entering at the rear of the dinette cavity. This morning I continued my cleanup efforts and tried to figure out exactly where the water was getting into the dinette cavity. When I looked into the wheel well, I noticed the under-floor liner had only one screw in the middle attaching it to the frame, and on either side of this screw the liner was buckled. I could see how the tires were throwing water directly at these areas so I shot a burst of water into the area with a garden hose. Water went directly into the dinette cavity so, obviously, this area was not sealed properly.

I know the reaction of many will be, "No worries, it will be repaired under warranty." That's true, but until then, I cannot drive the coach in the rain. Before I discovered the water problem, I had contacted Thor about having some other issues resolved at the factory and was told they are into July with scheduling. I checked with Camping World near me and was told after they take pictures and send to Thor, it takes a week or more to get authorization to proceed. If parts are involved, it could take another three to four weeks for them to arrive.

I will probably repair the water leakage problem myself, but I'll send a letter with pictures to Thor so they are aware of the issue. It may just be placed in a stack on someone's desk for issuance of an apology form letter, or get filed away as a complaint requiring no action, but at least I will have attempted to bring their attention to the matter.

Perhaps this problem happens infrequently and may not be of great concern to the manufacturer, but when a person puts out over $60,000.00 for an RV that cannot be driven in the rain, it tends to cause some frustration.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #2

State: Illinois
THOR #992
Sorry to hear your hardship with your new RV. I have a 23U 2012 and will be under it as soon as I can to make sure we are sealed. So far we have not had that problem. Good luck
Old 05-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
As much as it is a pain to do, you are better off fixing any problems you can yourself. If you wait for the dealer/factory to do it, they will take weeks/months to do a poor repair job.

At least if you do it, you can be assured you did it correctly. Here is an idea... send them a bill for repairs. They won't likely do anything about it, but at least you can have the satisfaction of letting them know in no-uncertain terms how you feel about it.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:37 AM   #4

Model: Chateau Citation 24
State: British Columbia
THOR #1725
After 2or 3 trips back to the dealer I did convince them the leak was in the wheel well and not the slide out, they caulked all the areas they thought might be the problem and seems to have worked, been out in some heavy rain so far so good, trouble is once you have had a problem like that you always are checking it.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:11 AM   #5

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #1393
Another unfortunate victim of half-ass quality in the RV industry.. It's unbelievable how many of these stories exist. If you can, perform all work YOURSELF, you will do a better job than CW or any RV repair shop because you give a sh@t !
Old 05-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
After 2or 3 trips back to the dealer I did convince them the leak was in the wheel well and not the slide out, they caulked all the areas they thought might be the problem and seems to have worked, been out in some heavy rain so far so good, trouble is once you have had a problem like that you always are checking it.
Glad to hear you (hopefully) have it fixed. I sent pictures to Thor showing the wheel well areas where water was entering the cabin of my 2015 Four Winds 23U. The rep who contacted me was sympathetic and apologetic, and he gave me his phone extension and said if I take it to Camping World, they can contact him direct. I elected to seal the areas myself so I could be assured it was done correctly -- this is not a slam on Camping World, but I have a trip planned for early June and cannot afford to take any chances.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijacker7 View Post
Glad to hear you (hopefully) have it fixed. I sent pictures to Thor showing the wheel well areas where water was entering the cabin of my 2015 Four Winds 23U. The rep who contacted me was sympathetic and apologetic, and he gave me his phone extension and said if I take it to Camping World, they can contact him direct. I elected to seal the areas myself so I could be assured it was done correctly -- this is not a slam on Camping World, but I have a trip planned for early June and cannot afford to take any chances.
Kudo's on doing the fix yourself! at least it is done right and you didn't lose your coach for 3 months.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:16 AM   #8

Model: chateau 23U
THOR #1241
Same problem. I caulked around the wheel well liner with roof flashing caulk and installed a bilge pump (joke). This was one of over 20 significant delivery defects that I repaired myself. (I'm and engineer and prefer to do the repairs myself, rather than take it to the dealer several times.)

After a frustrating year, it's mostly debugged and I really like the 23U. It has some nice features and generous storage.

Still the QC of this coach was much less than the previous 24' new Winnebago. These entry-level motorhomes have low margins and manufacturers cannot afford to put the build quality in them. Too bad the customers have to deal with getting the problems fixed. And with dealers with sometimes-questionable skills.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:27 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
I for one will be checking all those entry points. I have not had the problem, but who knows, better safe than sorry.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:22 AM   #10

State: Ontario
THOR #2393
@015 24C drivers side rear whell well leak

I experience a leak this summer in heavy rain while on the road and later in the fall under the same conditions.

A small stream across the floor that appears to come from the raised floor area.

I will be under it checking in the next two weeks before use this year.

Thanks for posting your info as I now know what to look for.

Tom eh
Old 04-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #11

THOR #3195
Here it is April already, just wanted to tell all by putting sealer around each basement storage I stopped every leak, but then I only had 3 cabinets that were getting water in after a rain. It was coming from the tires spraying up. After sealing all those areas, not a lead anymore and we just had a winter of much needed rain here.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #12

THOR #2393
Do you mean the lower storage bins when you say "basement storage."?

Thanks

Tom eh
Old 04-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #13

THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomeh View Post
Do you mean the lower storage bins when you say "basement storage."?

Thanks

Tom eh
Yes Tom, if while laying under any particular storage bin, you look up around the top (bottom of MH) you can see gaps, I just ran a large bead of silicone around all the bins, at least where ever I could reach, and I did the same on the inside - no leaks. Thor uses a foam tape between the bin and the bottom of the coach and I am just keeping the water from entering through the foam. At any rate it has worked.

I must have gone through eight tubes of silicone sealant already just drawing around on the underside looking for gaps, holes, whatever I find. I even found holes where cable would go through and it was unsealed, for those I used expanding foam.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #14

THOR #2393
Bottom Leaks

Many thanks Bob.

I'll be doing the same.

It would nice to have a hoist to gain easy access but I hear a piece of cardboard calling me.

I purchased some truck bed liner repair spray that is supposed to stay felxible while sealing.

I'll see how that goes.

Thanks Again.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #15

THOR #3195
Tom, you should pick up a 4 wheel creeper, that you can just lay on and do it. I got one as I check the bottom at least every two months. I have done that from when I got it and I notice things that change that way. I tied up loose wiring, cables, lines.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:13 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #13387
2018 Thor Four Winds 23U with the same problem as described by Hijacker7. I haven't had a chance to see if my water penetration is from the same source. Too cold in Michigan now to look. But the water came from the rear dinette cavity and spread all over the floor. Not sure how Hijacker7 fixed his problem but would be interested in learning how he resolved his issue. So Thor has not solved this problem after all these years since the original post.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:40 AM   #17

THOR #1241
Rdline, it looks like Thor's lack of caulk hit you also!. Same symptons and I discovered it in heavy rain. Got out, got really wet and caulked the street-side tire well seams with leak stopper roof patch caulk (lLowes) and it's been dry ever since.

Either my unit wasn't intended for wet roads or the Thor QC guy was sick that day.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #13387
RVGeek thanks for your help. Did you need to remove the outside driver's tire to access the seam where you put the caulk? I also see where several tubes entering into the cabin floor right in front of the wheel well which I caulked earlier, but that did not stop my stream of water entering the dinette floor. The water enters on the back dinette seat floor where all the electrical components are located which is a big concern. My unit is in storage now and our weather in Michigan is freezing cold so I won't be trying to caulk for a while.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #19

THOR #1241
Rdline: I made an emergency repair on the road by silicone caulking the front seam of the wheel well w/o removing the tire. A bit awkward, but solved the problem until our return. Subsequently, I removed the duals, removed the silicone and applied the roofing tar-like caulk liberally on all seams of the sheet metal wheel well.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #20

THOR #3195
well is been two years sense I caulked the heck out of my seams, I check them quite regular, and I still have NO leaks, thank goodness. And, I now live in Washington where it's been having record breaking weather. I think this spring/summer, I will recaulk all those seams again. I did notice the expanding foam I used around the inlets under the motorhome, are beginning to chip away from who know what.