Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2022, 03:44 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #27627
2018 Thor Motor Coach Four Winds 31E Bunkhouse

I wanted to see if anyone can weigh in on the class C RV we are looking at( not really wanting to do a pull-behind if we can help it). I fell in love with one I saw online and we went and looked at it yesterday and that solidified it for myself and my husband decided he liked it as well. It is a 2018 Thor Motor Coach Four Winds 31E Bunkhouse. Does anyone have this one that can shed some info on it such as… would you still have chosen this one? Is there something you wish someone had told you about it before you purchased it?

Old 08-10-2022, 06:03 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
My floor plan is different ...no bunks, much more counter space, and two smaller slides rather than one big one....but I feel qualified to add a few comments for you as food for thought since mine is a similar size and chassis

Our rig is heavy...basically the rear axle is more or less at capacity when the rig is loaded with family and stuff. Tires are overloaded. I wish I had had a better handle on the actual weight when I bought it. I've had one blow out that caused some real damage and tires are a constant worry.

My grey water tank is a limitation. Doable for weekend trips (and even longer) but a beach trip when all 5 of us shower pretty much means a dump is needed soon

That said, we have enjoyed ours, longest trip was from NE Florida to Grand Canyon and back. 2nd longest trip was San Antonio and back
We've stayed in it a total of 140 nights so far since the summer of 2014...mostly weekend and long weekend type trips with a few week long. Many nights boondocking off grid. 140 doesn't seem like a lot, but it is for a busy family only doing occasional weekend stuff...especially considering we've only slowed down with it as the kids have gotten older

My other comment...this is just a call out for you to do some research. Used to be that those large full length slides were problematic. I don't know if they are really better now or not...
Old 08-15-2022, 11:08 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I have that exact RV. We bought our 2018 Chateau 31E new almost 5 years ago, and have used it a lot.
Overall, the floor plan is great for a bunkhouse class C. However, a couple of years ago Jayco came out with a very similar floor plan, except the entry door is moved forward, in front of the sofa instead of behind it. This allows the passenger seat to swivel so it can be used while camping. It would be nice to have that extra seating.

The big full-wall slideout can be problematic. I've replaced the slidout motors once and have had it aligned/adjusted a few times.

As stated above, the rear is very heavy. I had a couple of rear tire blowouts, and replaced all the rear tires with ones that have a higher load rating. I also installed rear Timbren helper springs. Other handling improvements I've done are big swaybars (Hellwig), a custom alignment, a steering controller (Saf-T-Plus), and Bilstein HD shocks.

Another upgrade that also made it nicer was additional sound isolation in the cab.

The engine and transmission seem to be pretty bulletproof, but I did have a cat converter replaced under warranty a few years ago, and I had to replace an O2 sensor last year.