Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD0 View Post
Thanks, coach is in storage and plugged in. I was going to put a trickle charger on but good to know I won't need.
To test that it is working properly (I found that Thor wired my BIM incorrectly) you can run these simple tests while plugged into shore power:

1) Verifying Chassis Battery is Charging

- Look at the Chassis Battery Voltage on the FireFly Display and note the voltage. It should be higher than 12.6V in most cases.

- Turn on your headlights and turn the key to the run position to start draining the batteries.

- You should hear the relay click and then check the Chassis Battery Voltage. It should be 13V or higher if the BIM is working properly so that the Converter is charging the chassis batteries.

- Turn off your headlights and put the key in the off position.

2) Verifying House Battery is Charging

- Remove shore power.

- Start the engine.

- Look at the House Battery Voltage on the FireFly Display and note the voltage. It should be higher than 12.6V in most cases.

- Turn on your furnace, lights and fans to start draining the batteries.

- You should hear the relay click and then check the House Battery Voltage. It should be 13V or higher if the alternator is properly charging the house batteries.

If the BIM is not engaging when either the House or Chassis Batteries are dropping below 12.6v, let me know. You may need to check your BIM wiring.

Old 12-10-2020, 02:29 AM   #82

Model: Omni XG32
State: Massachusetts
THOR #19481
Thank you, I will run these tests and let you know how I make out. I really appreciate the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
To test that it is working properly (I found that Thor wired my BIM incorrectly) you can run these simple tests while plugged into shore power:

1) Verifying Chassis Battery is Charging

- Look at the Chassis Battery Voltage on the FireFly Display and note the voltage. It should be higher than 12.6V in most cases.

- Turn on your headlights and turn the key to the run position to start draining the batteries.

- You should hear the relay click and then check the Chassis Battery Voltage. It should be 13V or higher if the BIM is working properly so that the Converter is charging the chassis batteries.

- Turn off your headlights and put the key in the off position.

2) Verifying House Battery is Charging

- Remove shore power.

- Start the engine.

- Look at the House Battery Voltage on the FireFly Display and note the voltage. It should be higher than 12.6V in most cases.

- Turn on your furnace, lights and fans to start draining the batteries.

- You should hear the relay click and then check the House Battery Voltage. It should be 13V or higher if the alternator is properly charging the house batteries.

If the BIM is not engaging when either the House or Chassis Batteries are dropping below 12.6v, let me know. You may need to check your BIM wiring.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #83

THOR #12751
I received the final paperwork from the Service Advisor handling my warranty work at the Thor Service Center so it looks like my coach is ready to pick up on December 21st as planned.

I have to drive from Florida to PA to pick up my toad this weekend and then to Wakarusa to pick up the coach next Monday (assuming the weather up north holds).

Just reading through the work order it looks like they have completed all the work and then some and it looks to be very thorough. So far I am pleased with the process at the Thor Service Center once again.

I'll report back one final time once I pick up the coach, check things over and then put her away for the winter.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:55 PM   #84

THOR #19481
Thanks great to hear. I have an appointment in April to drop mine off. New dinette windows, replace temp sensor rear and awning arms won't stay in.
Quote:
I received the final paperwork from the Service Advisor handling my warranty work at the Thor Service Center so it looks like my coach is ready to pick up on December 21st as planned.

I have to drive from Florida to PA to pick up my toad this weekend and then to Wakarusa to pick up the coach next Monday (assuming the weather up north holds).

Just reading through the work order it looks like they have completed all the work and then some and it looks to be very thorough. So far I am pleased with the process at the Thor Service Center once again.

I'll report back one final time once I pick up the coach, check things over and then put her away for the winter.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:05 AM   #85

State: Arizona
THOR #19094
Has this issue been resolved? I ask because my XG32 now has Cab Over groaning sounds, the rougher the road, the more pronounced the groan. Additionally, the molding is also pulling away from the bode. Thank you for the feedback.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:47 AM   #86

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Brauer View Post
Has this issue been resolved? I ask because my XG32 now has Cab Over groaning sounds, the rougher the road, the more pronounced the groan. Additionally, the molding is also pulling away from the bode. Thank you for the feedback.

I am picking up the coach Monday in Wakarusa so I will be inspecting the repairs then.

I read the work order and it said the front cap was fastened with screws that were too small and not enough screws. They installed larger screws, more screws, resealed and reinstalled the molding.

If the molding is pulling away, I would take pictures and send to Thor Warranty Support along with a description of what is going on. Also watch the front cap where it attached above the cab doors to see if you see any movement or gaps when leveling.

I would push to get an appointment to have it addressed by the Service Center in Wakarusa.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #87

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Texas
THOR #16368
2019 Magnitude SV

We totally have exactly the same problem and all four of our trim covers are popped out and pulling away from the coach. A friend took photos and shared w someone other than camping world who indicated the severity of the issue to us as well.

We still have 15+ items on our original punch list that CW has not been able to complete for us. We may take a trip to Waukarusa from Texas just to get ALL these items fixed once and for all.

CW has replaced the cpas on both ends of our awning once or twice - they can’t seem to get ANYTHING right. We are frustrated to say the least and do not want them touching this major structural repair!!

I look forward to hearing how your structural repair goes
Old 12-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #88

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
We totally have exactly the same problem and all four of our trim covers are popped out and pulling away from the coach. A friend took photos and shared w someone other than camping world who indicated the severity of the issue to us as well.

We still have 15+ items on our original punch list that CW has not been able to complete for us. We may take a trip to Waukarusa from Texas just to get ALL these items fixed once and for all.

CW has replaced the cpas on both ends of our awning once or twice - they can’t seem to get ANYTHING right. We are frustrated to say the least and do not want them touching this major structural repair!!

I look forward to hearing how your structural repair goes

I would definitely push to have the front cap issue fixed in Wakarusa. A dealer is not going to get it done properly.

I know it is a haul from Texas but if you have a long list they have better access to parts and can het it done in one trip. However, they aren't letting you live in the coach if the work needs a few days because of COVID. You would need to get a hotel room.

I dropped mine off the last week of October and there was one part on back-order (power shade motor). They just finished up with it two weeks ago.

I just drove 18-hour from Florida to PA yesterday so I could pick up my toad. Tomorrow I'll drive 6 hours to Wakarusa to pick up the coach and then 6 hours back. I keep the coach and toad in PA. It's of driving and I wish it could have all been fixed in a few days but I trust Wakarusa more than I would trust any other dealer.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #89
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Judge,
I hope that the gang in Wakarusa will exceed ALL of your expections!!
Have a safe trip!
Old 12-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #90

THOR #16368
Quote:
I would definitely push to have the front cap issue fixed in Wakarusa. A dealer is not going to get it done properly.

I know it is a haul from Texas but if you have a long list they have better access to parts and can het it done in one trip. However, they aren't letting you live in the coach if the work needs a few days because of COVID. You would need to get a hotel room.

I dropped mine off the last week of October and there was one part on back-order (power shade motor). They just finished up with it two weeks ago.

I just drove 18-hour from Florida to PA yesterday so I could pick up my toad. Tomorrow I'll drive 6 hours to Wakarusa to pick up the coach and then 6 hours back. I keep the coach and toad in PA. It's of driving and I wish it could have all been fixed in a few days but I trust Wakarusa more than I would trust any other dealer.
Thank you, Judge! We, too, have significant issues with the cover over the front window. Has not worked as intended since we got it and CW fixes x 10 never yield the result we are looking for. This would be another issue we would have them look at for us.

We have an extended warranty - do you think any of this would be covered by that?
Old 12-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #91

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Thank you, Judge! We, too, have significant issues with the cover over the front window. Has not worked as intended since we got it and CW fixes x 10 never yield the result we are looking for. This would be another issue we would have them look at for us.

We have an extended warranty - do you think any of this would be covered by that?
I have heard that Thor is recommending changing the arc of the track for the front shade. I think there was too much of a bend and it might have been stressing the motor.

I noticed mine would slow down at the half-way point (where the arc is) and then speed back up. This happened in both directions. When I was showing the Tech the motor died. According to the work order it does look like they adjusted the track so I am hopeful that does the trick.

To be honest, I don't know if I will ever open the shade. I know it is a nice idea for people riding in the back to have some scenery but it is just me, the DW and the dog. The dog wants to look out the front window!

Also having it open adds heat and sun always tears up interiors over time so other than checking it out tomorrow when I pick it up, I may never open it again!
Old 12-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #92

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Judge,
I hope that the gang in Wakarusa will exceed ALL of your expections!!
Have a safe trip!

Thanks Bob!

They exceeded my expectations in terms of customer service when I was there a year ago. I can say just reading the report and all of the extra things they found and fixed without my asking has really exceeded my expectations.

I'm not too worried about the quality of their workmanship on their workmanship..... unless someone had a really bad day when they working on it.

My biggest concern is if the front cap repair will hold up over the long haul. At least it is a documented issue and I consider it to be structural and that has a 5-year warranty (T-minus 4 years and counting now).

I'll report back once I get back tomorrow night......

When I confirmed the pick-up last Thursday the weather was supposed to be sunny and low 40's..... now it is supposed to be snow and rain showers. Dang weathermen.... what a great job.... be wrong every day and still get paid.

Maybe I'll get to lock in then hubs and try out the 4x4?

That's doubtful.... I think it will be just enough to make the coach and the toad a mess for me to clean up when I get back.

When we got back to Pittsburgh last night..... we still had about 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground from last week's storm. The dog and I are already depressed about leaving Florida.

But we actually comeback north this time of year to snowmobile. We are hoping Tug Hill gets hit next week so we can ride over Xmas week.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #93

THOR #2121
Quote:
I am picking up the coach Monday in Wakarusa so I will be inspecting the repairs then.

I read the work order and it said the front cap was fastened with screws that were too small and not enough screws. They installed larger screws, more screws, resealed and reinstalled the molding.

If the molding is pulling away, I would take pictures and send to Thor Warranty Support along with a description of what is going on. Also watch the front cap where it attached above the cab doors to see if you see any movement or gaps when leveling.

I would push to get an appointment to have it addressed by the Service Center in Wakarusa.

I’ve read that the Super Duty cabins switched to aluminum about 2017 (I think?). Anyway, I’m curious if Thor has mentioned if that plays a role in how motorhome house is attached to cab, and if it has contributed to issues.

Aluminum is usually softer and weaker than steel, but normally used in thicker gauge to compensate, so I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or bad, or if it makes any difference at all. Again, just curious on Thor’s take — provided they have mentioned it at all.

Also of interest is that E-Series and Transit are designed to be “Cutaway” from factory, but I have no idea how F-Series pickup cabs are reinforced to attach to motorhome house. I’m not suggesting there’s a problem, just that I’ve seen them listed only as chassis cab, not Cutaways. Do you know how the F-550 cab is modified around the B pillar, and is it done by Ford or Thor?
Old 12-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #94
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Can you sneak in a quick trip to Punxsutawney;, and drop in on Phil: from a long-distance?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1608476163
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sniper.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	27729  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:37 PM   #95

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’ve read that the Super Duty cabins switched to aluminum about 2017 (I think?). Anyway, I’m curious if Thor has mentioned if that plays a role in how motorhome house is attached to cab, and if it has contributed to issues.

Aluminum is usually softer and weaker than steel, but normally used in thicker gauge to compensate, so I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or bad, or if it makes any difference at all. Again, just curious on Thor’s take — provided they have mentioned it at all.

Also of interest is that E-Series and Transit are designed to be “Cutaway” from factory, but I have no idea how F-Series pickup cabs are reinforced to attach to motorhome house. I’m not suggesting there’s a problem, just that I’ve seen them listed only as chassis cab, not Cutaways. Do you know how the F-550 cab is modified around the B pillar, and is it done by Ford or Thor?

Very interesting and insightful comment. I too suppose smart engineers have it all worked out but it’s worth considering.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:43 PM   #96

THOR #12751
Picked up the Magnitude from the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa yesterday. I was very pleased with the repairs and the time they spent going over everything with me.

The two techs assigned to my coach were Josh and Tammy. They were very nice people and you could tell they cared about the customer and the quality of work they did. They truly had pride in their workmanship. I can say I am glad they were the ones working on my coach.

From my perspective Wakarusa is the best… and maybe the only… place to take your coach for work…. in or out of warranty.

Josh was very confident that he fixed the front cap issue. He said the screws used by the factory are far too narrow and not long enough and there aren’t enough of them as well. He removed everything he needed to in order to gain access to all of the screws (molding, headliner, etc.) so he could remove the old screws and install the bigger screws plus additional ones. He also added a heavy duty truck bonding sealant where the cap mounts to the wall structure. He said they have done several of these front cap repairs and they have had very good success with it. Time will tell but I feel good about what they did. He said he is hopeful the plant is using the bigger screws now and doing a better job during assembly.

All of the other repairs I had on my list were completed and done very professionally.... but the best part of the experience is based on past customer repairs, feedback and their own knowledge and experience, they go over the coach and do whatever they can to make it better beyond the issues you are having resolved.
Tammy knew the tricks to improve A/C airflow and performance. She made the necessary improvements, including using spray foam to fill the ceiling in the vents at the very front and back of the coach. I was going to spend $170 and buy the RV Airflow Kit that is available online but based on the way it is working now, I don’t think I’m going to spend the money on it. We’ll see how it works when it gets hot again but there sure felt like much better airflow.

Tammy also knew where typical gaps are hidden and she will use spray foam to fill them to eliminate water intrusion, air leaks and road noise. I have to admit it seemed a little quieter on the way home.

They also put the coach through the Rain Booth, which is like having it in a tropical storm hitting Florida. It even water jets shooting up from the ground underneath the coach. When they find a leak…. and they likely will….. they fix it. Tammy found that my Girard Water Heater was not well sealed on the outside and she sealed it up properly. She also knew where water could get into the storage bins and sealed up any of those areas as well.

I asked them what is the best sealant to use on the outside of the coach and they gave me a tube of what they use. It won’t shrink and it holds up very well in just about any conditions. This is what they recommend we use when we are resealing the outside of our coaches.

https://www.geocelusa.com/product/2300-mhrv-sealant/

I've put the coach in its bed for the winter after washing it. I have a few upgrade projects planned before next season but after spending the last two months in Florida, it is too dang cold in the pole building to do anything!
Old 12-23-2020, 02:02 AM   #97
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm really glad that their skill has made you so confident; congratulations!
Do they have enough snow up on Tug Hill for some riding?
What kind of sleds do you have?
Old 12-23-2020, 03:23 AM   #98

THOR #19481
Thank you for the update Judge, I feel good now making the 14 hour drive in April to get mine worked on.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:50 AM   #99

State: Arizona
THOR #19094
Factory Service

Quote:
Picked up the Magnitude from the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa yesterday. I was very pleased with the repairs and the time they spent going over everything with me.

The two techs assigned to my coach were Josh and Tammy. They were very nice people and you could tell they cared about the customer and the quality of work they did. They truly had pride in their workmanship. I can say I am glad they were the ones working on my coach.

From my perspective Wakarusa is the best… and maybe the only… place to take your coach for work…. in or out of warranty.

Josh was very confident that he fixed the front cap issue. He said the screws used by the factory are far too narrow and not long enough and there aren’t enough of them as well. He removed everything he needed to in order to gain access to all of the screws (molding, headliner, etc.) so he could remove the old screws and install the bigger screws plus additional ones. He also added a heavy duty truck bonding sealant where the cap mounts to the wall structure. He said they have done several of these front cap repairs and they have had very good success with it. Time will tell but I feel good about what they did. He said he is hopeful the plant is using the bigger screws now and doing a better job during assembly.

All of the other repairs I had on my list were completed and done very professionally.... but the best part of the experience is based on past customer repairs, feedback and their own knowledge and experience, they go over the coach and do whatever they can to make it better beyond the issues you are having resolved.
Tammy knew the tricks to improve A/C airflow and performance. She made the necessary improvements, including using spray foam to fill the ceiling in the vents at the very front and back of the coach. I was going to spend $170 and buy the RV Airflow Kit that is available online but based on the way it is working now, I don’t think I’m going to spend the money on it. We’ll see how it works when it gets hot again but there sure felt like much better airflow.

Tammy also knew where typical gaps are hidden and she will use spray foam to fill them to eliminate water intrusion, air leaks and road noise. I have to admit it seemed a little quieter on the way home.

They also put the coach through the Rain Booth, which is like having it in a tropical storm hitting Florida. It even water jets shooting up from the ground underneath the coach. When they find a leak…. and they likely will….. they fix it. Tammy found that my Girard Water Heater was not well sealed on the outside and she sealed it up properly. She also knew where water could get into the storage bins and sealed up any of those areas as well.

I asked them what is the best sealant to use on the outside of the coach and they gave me a tube of what they use. It won’t shrink and it holds up very well in just about any conditions. This is what they recommend we use when we are resealing the outside of our coaches.

https://www.geocelusa.com/product/2300-mhrv-sealant/

I've put the coach in its bed for the winter after washing it. I have a few upgrade projects planned before next season but after spending the last two months in Florida, it is too dang cold in the pole building to do anything!
Glad to hear your report of excellent service, harder than is should be to get. Based on your advice and now positive experience I reach out to Thor this week and am working on getting the cab over cap repaired, along with a long list of items the dealer has yet to fix. A failed large slide motor the most annoying.
I sent a list by email and await a call back from Wakarusa to make the long drive from AZ to IN.
I'm still under warranty, any advice on compensation for miles, lodging there, etc.?
Thanks again for posting and follow up.
Walter
Old 12-23-2020, 04:22 AM   #100

THOR #16368
You're the Best!

I have gotten so much information from this forum - how do people get around without it?!

Based on your amazing posts on this thread, I was able to determine that I have exactly the same issue and further realized how significant it was.

I have reached out to Thor Warranty and look forward to hearing back from them once they've had time to work through our list. There are 2-3" gaps in some places where you can see daylight between the side of the coach and the molding.

BTW - the list CW has been working through since May-Jun 2019 still has about 15 outstanding items on it. Despite pretty consistent contact with them - even going through a total clean out of their Service Dept., not a single item has crossed the finish line as complete since pre-COVID.

I think I've stated previously that our MH has spent significantly more time, between our camping trips, in CW's lot than in the space we rent; still not one single item has been properly completed.

We are actually looking forward to our lengthy trek to Indiana from Texas once we get the green light from Thor.