Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2020, 04:26 AM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Texas
THOR #16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Brauer View Post
Glad to hear your report of excellent service, harder than is should be to get. Based on your advice and now positive experience I reach out to Thor this week and am working on getting the cab over cap repaired, along with a long list of items the dealer has yet to fix. A failed large slide motor the most annoying.
I sent a list by email and await a call back from Wakarusa to make the long drive from AZ to IN.
I'm still under warranty, any advice on compensation for miles, lodging there, etc.?
Thanks again for posting and follow up.
Walter
What year and model do you have, Walter?

Old 12-23-2020, 04:28 AM   #102

State: Arizona
THOR #19094
Factory Service

Looks like the magnitude of the cab over cap issue is ominous.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:37 AM   #103

State: Arizona
THOR #19094
2021 XG32
Picked it up in July, managed to put 10,000 miles on it already. The creaking sounds began around 5k miles.

Tomorrow I'm heading to a big Ford dealer for a front end alignment. The right front tire is wearing on the outside. The tech at the first dealer, who didn't have big enough alignment machine, claims the weight of the RV requires an alignment that Thor doesn't perform.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #104

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
2021 XG32
Picked it up in July, managed to put 10,000 miles on it already. The creaking sounds began around 5k miles.

Tomorrow I'm heading to a big Ford dealer for a front end alignment. The right front tire is wearing on the outside. The tech at the first dealer, who didn't have big enough alignment machine, claims the weight of the RV requires an alignment that Thor doesn't perform.
We purchased a 2020 XG32 back in may and 12k miles on it, drives very good and so far no un even tire wear.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #105

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm really glad that their skill has made you so confident; congratulations!
Do they have enough snow up on Tug Hill for some riding?
What kind of sleds do you have?
We have a couple newer Ski-Doo 4-stroke sleds. My wife has a 2017 TNT 900 and I have a 2016 Blizzard 900 and I have a 21' x 7.5' RNR enclosed aluminum trailer that we use to get them around.

Last week it looked like a big blast of arctic air was coming down around Christmas Eve so that the lake effect snow machine would crank up. When that happens they can get 1 - 2 feet of lake effect snow.... as I am sure you know!

Unfortunately, that front has slowed and now it is going to be 50 on Christmas Eve with 1 - 2" of rain!

Then the cold air will come in and over the weekend places could get anywhere from 6 - 12" or more. Problem is all the snow they have now will get wiped out and it will be a muddy mess after Thursday. Then when the snow falls over the mud and water it will take all that much longer for the ground to freeze.

At the moment things don't look very promising. The Mrs and I are already talking about going back down to Florida for a few weeks to wait and see if old man winter shows up so we can get a couple weeks of riding in.

We are planning to get a VRBO for a week in the UP of Michigan but there is a great hotel in Altmar, NY called the Tailwater Lodge and we like staying there a couple times each winter to ride Tug Hill. Winter just isn't what it used to be. We have only been able to ride over Xmas week once in the past 5 years.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #106

THOR #12751
Quote:
Glad to hear your report of excellent service, harder than is should be to get. Based on your advice and now positive experience I reach out to Thor this week and am working on getting the cab over cap repaired, along with a long list of items the dealer has yet to fix. A failed large slide motor the most annoying.
I sent a list by email and await a call back from Wakarusa to make the long drive from AZ to IN.
I'm still under warranty, any advice on compensation for miles, lodging there, etc.?
Thanks again for posting and follow up.
Walter
The only way you will get compensated for mileage, etc. will be if it is a repair that the dealer can't make. Otherwise it is just like picking any dealer who will handle a warranty claim.

If you have an issue with your front cap, that is a structural issue that most dealers won't handle properly and Thor will want you to come to Wakarusa. In those cases it opens the door to get compensated.

I coordinated my visit around a camping trip we had to the Smokies back in October. I knew they would not get it done in a day so I preferred to go back home and let them have it as long as they needed it. I did warn Thor if they could not fix it in two weeks they would need to keep it until Xmas week because I would be down in FL for a couple months and only coming back north for the holidays.... they were OK with that.

I did not push to get compensated for my fuel or tolls. I decided I wanted to keep that in my hip picket as a card to play if I run into problems that I feel should still be covered by Thor now that my 12-month warranty is over.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #107

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I have gotten so much information from this forum - how do people get around without it?!

Based on your amazing posts on this thread, I was able to determine that I have exactly the same issue and further realized how significant it was.

I have reached out to Thor Warranty and look forward to hearing back from them once they've had time to work through our list. There are 2-3" gaps in some places where you can see daylight between the side of the coach and the molding.

BTW - the list CW has been working through since May-Jun 2019 still has about 15 outstanding items on it. Despite pretty consistent contact with them - even going through a total clean out of their Service Dept., not a single item has crossed the finish line as complete since pre-COVID.

I think I've stated previously that our MH has spent significantly more time, between our camping trips, in CW's lot than in the space we rent; still not one single item has been properly completed.

We are actually looking forward to our lengthy trek to Indiana from Texas once we get the green light from Thor.
I'm afraid that any of the Super C's built before this point in time are very likely to have this issue with the front cap. Take as many pictures and videos as you can to Thor and request it be fixed in Wakarusa.

I was telling them about how many people have dealer issues like you where someone buys a new coach and it sits at the dealer for 8 months. They said they hear that a lot and it is a real shame.

While it can take a few months to get into their schedule, it won't sit there for months. They start working on it the day you are scheduled with an assigned technician. The biggest thing is the have immediate access to parts and the knowledge and experience to repair it properly.

Mine took longer than expected because the power shade motor was backordered. Some parts are still an issue because of when everything was shut down because of COVID.

I would also politely tell Thor Warranty Support about your experience with CW and how it is has spent more time there than in your possession. If your warranty has expired, they may still cover some of the repairs for you. The front cap will be covered for sure.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #108

THOR #12751
Quote:
2021 XG32

I can't remember which document I read from Thor but they do recommend you get an alignment once you obtain the coach and get it loaded with your typical gear, fuel, propane, etc. Weight will have an impact on final alignment.

I have a little over 10K miles. My tire wear is ok but I noticed my steering wheel is a little off. I may take it to a big truck shop in the spring for an alignment.

I need to take it to Ford before March for a state inspection and oil change. I also have had an intermittent warning light for the StabilTrak come on and go off 2 or 3 times. I have a code reader and it said it was a wheel position sensor. I also want to ask about the Steering Damper program. Ford is covering them past warranty because some people have steering wheel vibration issues at certain speeds after hitting a pot hole, etc.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #109

THOR #12751
I'll add one comment about the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa because I know Thor will read posts from time-to-time.

I think it would be a good idea for Thor to promote some of the people working in the Service Center to Production Line Quality Control Positions. With all of their repair knowledge and experience, I would bet they could recognize quality, design and workmanship issues during the manufacturing process so they could be addressed properly before the coach ever leaves the plant.

This would have a lot of positive effects:

- It would give people a nice career path

- It would reduce the number of premature failures, warranty claims and associated expense

- It would ultimately result in increased customer satisfaction with fewer issues when someone takes delivery of a new coach
Old 12-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #110
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I'll add one comment about the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa because I know Thor will read posts from time-to-time.

I think it would be a good idea for Thor to promote some of the people working in the Service Center to Production Line Quality Control Positions. With all of their repair knowledge and experience, I would bet they could recognize quality, design and workmanship issues during the manufacturing process so they could be addressed properly before the coach ever leaves the plant.

This would have a lot of positive effects:

- It would give people a nice career path

- It would reduce the number of premature failures, warranty claims and associated expense

- It would ultimately result in increased customer satisfaction with fewer issues when someone takes delivery of a new coach
Keep in mind, as sick as it may be, that the Service Center may not want quality to improve because the current quality level, or lack thereof, keeps the service center employed.

A Tiffin owner I knew about 6 or 7 years ago was told that very statement in Red Bay when he took his new Allegra in for warranty service.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #111

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Keep in mind, as sick as it may be, that the Service Center may not want quality to improve because the current quality level, or lack thereof, keeps the service center employed.

A Tiffin owner I knew about 6 or 7 years ago was told that very statement in Red Bay when he took his new Allegra in for warranty service.

That Service Center is pretty busy with non-warranty service as well and their rates are less than any dealer out there. I met a few different people last year who used them for service out of warranty.

I'd bet they could stay busy and even if there are some improvements in production quality because there will always be warranty claims.

If there are any repairs I could not do myself, I think I would take it there versus General RV. It takes me a little over 2 hours to get to General RV and it takes me about 5 1/2 to Wakarusa. Depending on how the coach does in the upcoming season, I may even consider taking it there at the end of the season so they can put it through their Rain Booth to see if there are any leaks that need fixed as well as anything else. I would gladly pay them (especially since their hourly rate is cheaper) given my experience there now after two visits.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:38 PM   #112

State: Connecticut
THOR #19283
Wow interesting thread. I have the same issues discussed. 4 corners separated including the cab over. Window shade track problems. Dinette windows rattle at higher speeds.
I'm in absolute agreemant that the 550 chassis is incredible. We love the RV and just hope we can get these issues worked out!
Old 01-14-2021, 07:43 AM   #113

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmagnitudexg32 View Post
Wow interesting thread. I have the same issues discussed. 4 corners separated including the cab over. Window shade track problems. Dinette windows rattle at higher speeds.
I'm in absolute agreemant that the 550 chassis is incredible. We love the RV and just hope we can get these issues worked out!
They will replace the dinette windows with a new design window, it does solve the problem. Thor replaced both of mine last September.
The glass is too long, and with the air passing over them they flex.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:02 AM   #114

Model: Magnitude
THOR #22368
We just notice our cap has this problem. Do you schedule through the main Thor Customer Service, or do they have a separate number?
Old 06-01-2022, 08:36 AM   #115

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnBK View Post
We just notice our cap has this problem. Do you schedule through the main Thor Customer Service, or do they have a separate number?

I initiated contact through Thor Warranty Customer Service and then they had the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa, IN contact me for scheduling.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:03 PM   #116

State: New Jersey
THOR #3431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
That Service Center is pretty busy with non-warranty service as well and their rates are less than any dealer out there. I met a few different people last year who used them for service out of warranty.

I'd bet they could stay busy and even if there are some improvements in production quality because there will always be warranty claims.

If there are any repairs I could not do myself, I think I would take it there versus General RV. It takes me a little over 2 hours to get to General RV and it takes me about 5 1/2 to Wakarusa. Depending on how the coach does in the upcoming season, I may even consider taking it there at the end of the season so they can put it through their Rain Booth to see if there are any leaks that need fixed as well as anything else. I would gladly pay them (especially since their hourly rate is cheaper) given my experience there now after two visits.
I use Wakarusa even now that I’m past the manufacturer’s warranty for a couple of reasons. 1) it has better access to parts. 2) it has a more focused knowledge of the rig and issues others have experienced. 3) their rates are much more competitive than I have found from dealer service centers. 4) the team in Wakarusa is highly competent, quality-focised, customer-focused, and efficient; 5) the wait time to get into Wakarusa is really no longer than I find with local dealer repair centers in NJ/PA/DE/MD; 6) I get multiple issues addressed with one visit. The drive from my home in Shamong, NJ is about 12 hours including about three rest/fuel stops. It’s not insignificant from a mileage, fuel, toll, and time perspective BUT the advantages far outweigh the drive to Wakarusa.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:47 PM   #117

THOR #16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post

As crazy as it sounds, COULD NOT AGREE MORE MYSELF!!
Old 03-07-2023, 11:49 AM   #118

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by klayandval View Post
I use Wakarusa even now that I’m past the manufacturer’s warranty for a couple of reasons. 1) it has better access to parts. 2) it has a more focused knowledge of the rig and issues others have experienced. 3) their rates are much more competitive than I have found from dealer service centers. 4) the team in Wakarusa is highly competent, quality-focised, customer-focused, and efficient; 5) the wait time to get into Wakarusa is really no longer than I find with local dealer repair centers in NJ/PA/DE/MD; 6) I get multiple issues addressed with one visit. The drive from my home in Shamong, NJ is about 12 hours including about three rest/fuel stops. It’s not insignificant from a mileage, fuel, toll, and time perspective BUT the advantages far outweigh the drive to Wakarusa.
I've used Wakrusa a couple times for these reasons. They are better than any dealer.... but they are not infallible.

I had them "fix' my front cap issue and it only lasted 18 months. Better than what the factory did originally but far from a permanent fix.

At this point do all my own repairs or I take it to specialists if it is something that I can not handle myself.... like Vroom for the slide.

I ended up doing what kwplot and Pillbox did and installed bolts and nuts for my front cap. Wakarusa's answer was bigger screws, which did not work as a permanent fix.
Old 03-07-2023, 05:01 PM   #119

THOR #16368
Judge - would you be so kind as to place the instructions you followed, or the link to it here? Thank you in advance. We are on round #2 with TMC on this endeavor!!
Old 03-07-2023, 07:58 PM   #120

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Judge - would you be so kind as to place the instructions you followed, or the link to it here? Thank you in advance. We are on round #2 with TMC on this endeavor!!
Kwplot has done the most extensive repair and upgrades to the front cap. He did a very detailed documentation in this thread.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...fix-28874.html

I followed a lot of what he did but I took a few short cuts with my repair. I didn't do the extensive cab-over tear out and rebuild. The bolts going through my cab roof were all still tight and larger than what was used on the sides and top. They also used some adhesive sealant as well.

Here is how I installed the bolts at a high level:

- I cut the outer trim where the front cap attaches to the house box on both side of the coach instead of pulling the trim off from the bottom up. I've never seen a front cap issue where the screws backed out or snapped off below 6' because that is not part of the front cap.

- I then pulled the trim up to about within 6 - 12 " of the roof and removed all of the screws up to that point. Some where broken off inside the front cap.

- I removed as much of the inside trim on the inside of the coach as I could around the front cap seam along the walls and the sealing.

- I used a drill bit for #10 stainless steel screws and drilled holes through the fiberglass and through the square metal tube and through the inner walls of the coach.

- I squirted some adhesive sealant into the holes and installed #10 screws. I then used fender washers and nylok nuts on the inside and tightened them snug.

- I installed between 8 - 12 bolts through the front cap on each side.

- On the roof I did not remove the trim. When I get a new coach I install Eternabond over all the Dicor so I never have to do roof sealing again. I didn't want to go through the hassle of removing all the Eternabond and Dicor so I decided to leave the existing screws in the roof even though I could see some screws heads pushing against the Eternabond. I just drilled through the Eternabond, Dicor and trim piece on the roof between the existing screws since you never see the trim or screws on the roof.

The roof of the SV34 is different than the XG32 where the front cap meets the house box. My SV34 had what looked to be a 2 x 2 piece of wood running across the coach and on top of a 1 x 1 square aluminum tube. Thor only put screws into the wood as far as I could tell and not down into the aluminum tube. The roof is crowned so I used 6" long #10 stainless steel screws that could go through the wood and both sides of the aluminum tube. I had to buy a 12" drill bit to drill through everything. After installing the washers and nylok nuts, I used a Dremel tool to cut off the excess screw flush with the nut. The ceiling trim covered it perfectly.

- The I put down a layer of Dicor over the bolts on the roof and then another layer of Eternabond Tape.

- I reinstalled the trim pieces on the side using Super Glue to reattach it where I had cut it with a razor knife. Then I used Geocel GC28100 Pro Flex RV Clear Flexible Sealant to reseal the trim on both sides of the walls.

Here is some more detail starting with post #251....

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...-27773-13.html

I am pretty confident my front cap can now take the vibrations and bouncing it is exposed to while driving and the twisting of the chassis while leveling.