Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2023, 08:02 PM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Texas
THOR #16368
Wow!! Thank you!!

Old 03-20-2023, 08:50 PM   #122

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Judge get ahold of me
williamprunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:56 PM   #123

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
Judge get ahold of me

Just PM’ed you…..
Old 03-21-2023, 12:41 AM   #124
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
Judge get ahold of me
PLEASE.......
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 12:55 AM   #125

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
2020 Magnitude Structural Integrity Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Kwplot has done the most extensive repair and upgrades to the front cap. He did a very detailed documentation in this thread.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...fix-28874.html

I followed a lot of what he did but I took a few short cuts with my repair. I didn't do the extensive cab-over tear out and rebuild. The bolts going through my cab roof were all still tight and larger than what was used on the sides and top. They also used some adhesive sealant as well.

Here is how I installed the bolts at a high level:

- I cut the outer trim where the front cap attaches to the house box on both side of the coach instead of pulling the trim off from the bottom up. I've never seen a front cap issue where the screws backed out or snapped off below 6' because that is not part of the front cap.

- I then pulled the trim up to about within 6 - 12 " of the roof and removed all of the screws up to that point. Some where broken off inside the front cap.

- I removed as much of the inside trim on the inside of the coach as I could around the front cap seam along the walls and the sealing.

- I used a drill bit for #10 stainless steel screws and drilled holes through the fiberglass and through the square metal tube and through the inner walls of the coach.

- I squirted some adhesive sealant into the holes and installed #10 screws. I then used fender washers and nylok nuts on the inside and tightened them snug.

- I installed between 8 - 12 bolts through the front cap on each side.

- On the roof I did not remove the trim. When I get a new coach I install Eternabond over all the Dicor so I never have to do roof sealing again. I didn't want to go through the hassle of removing all the Eternabond and Dicor so I decided to leave the existing screws in the roof even though I could see some screws heads pushing against the Eternabond. I just drilled through the Eternabond, Dicor and trim piece on the roof between the existing screws since you never see the trim or screws on the roof.

The roof of the SV34 is different than the XG32 where the front cap meets the house box. My SV34 had what looked to be a 2 x 2 piece of wood running across the coach and on top of a 1 x 1 square aluminum tube. Thor only put screws into the wood as far as I could tell and not down into the aluminum tube. The roof is crowned so I used 6" long #10 stainless steel screws that could go through the wood and both sides of the aluminum tube. I had to buy a 12" drill bit to drill through everything. After installing the washers and nylok nuts, I used a Dremel tool to cut off the excess screw flush with the nut. The ceiling trim covered it perfectly.

- The I put down a layer of Dicor over the bolts on the roof and then another layer of Eternabond Tape.

- I reinstalled the trim pieces on the side using Super Glue to reattach it where I had cut it with a razor knife. Then I used Geocel GC28100 Pro Flex RV Clear Flexible Sealant to reseal the trim on both sides of the walls.

Here is some more detail starting with post #251....

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...-27773-13.html

I am pretty confident my front cap can now take the vibrations and bouncing it is exposed to while driving and the twisting of the chassis while leveling.

I have about 3700 miles so far on my front cap repair using bolts and nylok nuts. We have hit a lot of rough roads….. and still haven’t crossed the Canadian border on our way to Alaska. Glad we have all our tax money going to infrastructure….. or so they say.

We have a fair amount of weight in the cab-over bunk for a 3-month trip and I have watched the front cap bounce up and down quite a bit. So far the upgrade to the front cap attachment is holding up as well as I expected.

All of the bolts that I can access are tight and the side trim has not budged and is still solidly sealed with the Proflex Geocel.

Still have 10,000 miles to go on the trip but I’m feeling pretty good about the front cap now. If I still had the crappy stock sheet metal screws, they would all have been snapped in half or pushed out by now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0646.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	42327
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0645.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	42328
Old 06-11-2023, 03:55 PM   #126

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have about 3700 miles so far on my front cap repair using bolts and nylok nuts. We have hit a lot of rough roads….. and still haven’t crossed the Canadian border on our way to Alaska. Glad we have all our tax money going to infrastructure….. or so they say.

We have a fair amount of weight in the cab-over bunk for a 3-month trip and I have watched the front cap bounce up and down quite a bit. So far the upgrade to the front cap attachment is holding up as well as I expected.

All of the bolts that I can access are tight and the side trim has not budged and is still solidly sealed with the Proflex Geocel.

Still have 10,000 miles to go on the trip but I’m feeling pretty good about the front cap now. If I still had the crappy stock sheet metal screws, they would all have been snapped in half or pushed out by now.

Attachment 42327
Attachment 42328
Just wait until Destruction Bay to Tok! Hope to see you up here. Currently in Seward and I'm waiting for the weather to clear so I can do the same upgrade. I wanted to see how my larger bolts worked. So far, so good but, I want more assurance, hence the kwplot34 upgrade.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:12 AM   #127

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
So far so good on the fix and I do not expect any issues from the cap again.
I don't notice much bounce out of the cap anymore, there is some but nothing like it did from the factory. The aluminum stringers that I glassed in took care of that excessive bouncing, you want some bounce or flex if it's to rigid that can cause issues.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:51 AM   #128

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #17465
This problem has nothing to do with flexing rough roads etc. It has 100% too do with typical poor Thor construction. The simply did not provide the correct method of securing the front cap to the house body. I've owned sleeper C's and never seen one separate like this coach does. Most of them are separated right at delivery right from the factory.

Mike

Mike