Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2023, 07:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude BH35
State: California
THOR #23156
Hornblasters train horn install - 2020 Magnitude BH35

2020 Magnitude BH35 train horn installation - HornBlasters Conductor's Special 5485 Nightmare Edition Train Horn Kit + compressed air system. Sharing my experience in case anyone else is looking to install one and needs ideas on how/where to mount this all up. First off I have to say this train horn is louder than I ever imagined and audio samples do not do it justice. Probably could have been okay with a smaller system, but my goal was to have onboard air sufficient to air up the high PSI tires on the rig and any other needs. With the 5 gallon air tank and VIAIR 485C compressor this thing is really up to the task. The kit comes with a coil hose that allows you to reach all tires for inflation when mounted in the propane tank bay.

List of parts I used (that I can remember):
- CONDUCTOR'S SPECIAL 5485 NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN KIT - link
  • Add-ons
  • Air Compressor Bracket
  • Tire inflation kit (provides air chuck and all you need for this
application)
- Items available at local hardware store
- (2) 36” X 1” zinc-plated punched square tube
- (1) 24” X 1.5” zinc-plated slotted angle
- (1) 1-3/8 in. x 24 in. Zinc-Plated Punched Steel Flat Bar with 1/16 in. Thick
- (4) 3/8” X 24” (or purchase one long version and cut to size)
- (4) 3/8” U-bolts to secure bars to metal frame in propane compartment
- Various nuts, bolts, washers
- 30-40ft of black wire protector tubing 3/8” and ½”
- SPDT 12V 20-30A relay (optional if you want to control horn operation from factory horns to air horns using upfitter switches)
- Electric tape
- Zip ties (lots of them)
- A stiff drink of your choice!

List of tools needed:
- Drill
- Left and right hand sheet metal snips
- Sheet metal duck bills
- Various wrenches and sockets
- Dremel or cutoff grinder
- Self tapping screws
- Lots and lots of patience!

I spent almost 2 weeks just assessing how to mount this thing. I definitely have a new appreciation for the HornBlasters spare tire replacement kit which is a fully assembled package that bolts in the place where a spare tire goes on a standard truck, but that was not an option here really. I landed on fitting it into the propane tank bin. The primary reasons why are that 1) the 5 gallon tank fit in the space with plenty of clearance 2) I could tap into the 12V circuit feeding the hydraulic pump for the jacks which already had very large wire and would have no issue powering the VIAIR pump. Not to mention the jacks are used only on occasion and planned so there would not be a high risk of double draw. 3) Compartment is pretty well isolated from the elements with the plate below the propane tank. 4) Relatively close run to the front cab for air lines etc. 5) Room to connect all the hoses, air chuck, etc. 6) Solid framing to mount the tank to without the need to drill holes etc.
The placement of the tank here did require removal of the sheet metal plate below the propane tank for clearance and had to be trimmed before reinstalling. This is some thick gauge sheet metal and standard snips require a very strong hand to cut. I was able to most of it with snips, but had to use Dremel for some. I mounted the VIAAIR pump on the mounting plate I got and this was one of the times I had to drill the tube steel frame to mount. I wanted it up high away from the elements. I just left the air inlet filter in the top of the bay. This pump will not be running all the time and with this setup I can lay into the horn for at least 8-10 seconds before the pump even turns on. I am happy with the location of everything and how it turned out.

I ended up using 2 of the upfitter switches for my setup. 1) Aux 2 for power trigger to VIAIR pump (allows you toggle power on/off to the compressor which only gets power when ignition is on. 2) Aux 3 used to toggle between regular factory Ford horn and Air horn. I used this circuit to active a relay that I spliced into the horn circuit right at the horn wire. Normally closed the relay provides the horn switch circuit 12V power to stock horns. Normally open diverts the horn switch circuit 12V power to air horn actuator. The kit comes with lots of electrical connectors, but I had to use some additional from my personal stash.

I had to fabricate some mounts for the (4) very large air horns and opted to mount them sideways between the steering assembly and front bumper. With air horns the direction is not really a factor, but they recommend pointing them down for optimal performance. I will say this system is so loud that it does not matter which way they point. Even when backing up this horn does the trick. It is also a little tricky to find the best spot for the air actuator for the horns, but I used some of the angel punched stock I had left over to make that happen. It is very important that the air lines connected to the banjo fitting on actuator and running to the horns are all the same length to get the right sound. After getting everything connected I tested to make sure it all works before wrapping everything in wire protector and securing with zip ties. Some of the pictures I posted are pre finalizing the wire securing and protection. I haven’t had a chance to go back and take those pictures.
This air horn will wake the dead and I can assure you that anyone that tries to cut me off or needs a reminder I am there will not soon forget it when I lay into this thing.
Hope in sharing this will help others as I certainly wish I had some of this guidance going in. Had this been a stock Ford F-550 truck with a bed it would have been a whole lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230610_110932.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	42522   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230610_110938.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	42523  

Name:	20230610_110958.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	42524   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230610_113839.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	42525  

Name:	20230610_122227.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	42526   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230610_122231.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	42527  

Name:	20230610_151627.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	42528   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230610_151637.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	42529  

Name:	20230611_134723.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	42530   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230611_152056.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	42531  

Mods: VROOM full slide upgrade, Banks derringer, iDash, pedal monster, and CAI. Bilstein 4600 shocks and steering stabilizer, Sumo springs, HornBlaster Conductor's Special 5485 Nightmare Edition Train Horn Kit with onboard compressed air, TPMS kit for 6 tires, upgraded TVs to smart TVs using Google TV.
pohoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:54 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #17465
Thanks for the great overview however this is a terrible place to mount a horn set, road grime, mud and dirty water will eventually destroy the horns.

Mike
Old 03-15-2024, 01:08 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=284
Above is a link to my signature thread and PART of my horn set.

Potential legal problem.

I'm no Safety Sally, I'm just saying toot that thing in the wrong circumstance and you may face the legal circumstances circumstance.

This post lived for 8 months without a single response.
I think common sense dictated.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:16 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #17465
Not certain if the horns are hooked to the horn relay - if they are double locking your doors will wake the neighbors, and even worse if the alarm sounds!!

Mike
Old 03-15-2024, 01:20 AM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #24216
Those might invite a road rage response around here.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:33 AM   #6

THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowOnCash View Post
Not certain if the horns are hooked to the horn relay - if they are double locking your doors will wake the neighbors, and even worse if the alarm sounds!!

Mike
From my write-up "I ended up using 2 of the upfitter switches for my setup. 1) Aux 2 for power trigger to VIAIR pump (allows you toggle power on/off to the compressor which only gets power when ignition is on. 2) Aux 3 used to toggle between regular factory Ford horn and Air horn. I used this circuit to active a relay that I spliced into the horn circuit right at the horn wire. Normally closed the relay provides the horn switch circuit 12V power to stock horns. Normally open diverts the horn switch circuit 12V power to air horn actuator. The kit comes with lots of electrical connectors, but I had to use some additional from my personal stash."
Mods: VROOM full slide upgrade, Banks derringer, iDash, pedal monster, and CAI. Bilstein 4600 shocks and steering stabilizer, Sumo springs, HornBlaster Conductor's Special 5485 Nightmare Edition Train Horn Kit with onboard compressed air, TPMS kit for 6 tires, upgraded TVs to smart TVs using Google TV.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:41 AM   #7

THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=284
Above is a link to my signature thread and PART of my horn set.

Potential legal problem.

I'm no Safety Sally, I'm just saying toot that thing in the wrong circumstance and you may face the legal circumstances circumstance.

This post lived for 8 months without a single response.
I think common sense dictated.
Or in my case warn a distracted driver from pulling out in front of me avoiding a T-bone. It is a risk I am willing to take in order to have the proper warning mechanism to the growing number of drivers asleep at the wheel. Many semi-trucks have air horns that are just as loud, not to mention trains use them to warn cars at crossings as well as pedestrians. If it's not your cup of tea just keep scrolling. I posted this a pay-it-forward in case someone could benefit from my learning. Not in any way promoting this as something that anyone should install.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:46 AM   #8

THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowOnCash View Post
Thanks for the great overview however this is a terrible place to mount a horn set, road grime, mud and dirty water will eventually destroy the horns.

Mike
12K miles later and not a single issue. It may not be evident in the pictures, but these are actually tucked up to were the front faring pretty much diverts all the air, water, road debris past them. They have remained looking like new despite having driven in all weather conditions and many offroad trips. If you care to look on Youtube and the hornblasters website you will see that these horns are mounted like this and even in the rear regularly and exposed to the elements. Don't think this is going to be an issue IMHO.

Tags
train horn